Home

This game is honestly a chore to play

This is a discussion on This game is honestly a chore to play within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2019, 02:13 AM   #1
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

OVR: 0
This game is honestly a chore to play

Hear me out. This game has some good to it, it really does. The new shot animations are clean and superbly done. The franchise mode additions are great although I’ve had enough time with the game to know 100% the coaches and line chemistry almost have no effect on the gameplay, and honestly I really do not feel like they have that much of an effect on the sim engine either.

My biggest gripe with this game is how much I have to fight these faulty game mechanics just to get my user controlled players to do what I want them to do. Even in wins I find myself winning despite the faulty game mechanics more so than because of them working properly. The computer stick lifts, slashes, poke checks with impunity and I can’t even get my defender to stand still in front of the crease. The computer stops starts and cuts on a dime while my 93 speed and 92 acceleration player runs in place for 3 seconds giving the defenders enough time to make a bone shattering hit with almost no momentum. Meaning while I can square up a borderline charging check and bounce right off a 5’6 alex debrincat with my 6’6 victor headman.

I honestly feel like the developers really do not how to program 10 men working intelligently on the ice, so they have to manufacture a challenge by giving the CPU an edge by allowing them to do stuff that the user simply cannot. You can say whatever you want about ice tilt but there are definitely situations where the CPU decides they have to get a goal in a given situation and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. The biggest culprit is on the power play. The CPU is flat out way aggressive and can play possession keep away from you power play unit when they should be dumping and sitting back. Trying at all costs not to give up the goal. People say it’s because EA doesn’t care but at this point I honestly feel they either do not have the technology or the comprehension to program 10 men working independently on the ice.

I had a game tonight where I beat the CPU 9-1 tonight, and despite the big win found myself frustrated and just shut the game off. Now that the newness factor has worn off I am really starting to lose interest in this game and really feel like EA Canada needs to take a year off and really figure out a way to retool this games mechanics.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Re: This game is honestly a chore to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
Hear me out. This game has some good to it, it really does. The new shot animations are clean and superbly done. The franchise mode additions are great although I’ve had enough time with the game to know 100% the coaches and line chemistry almost have no effect on the gameplay, and honestly I really do not feel like they have that much of an effect on the sim engine either.

My biggest gripe with this game is how much I have to fight these faulty game mechanics just to get my user controlled players to do what I want them to do. Even in wins I find myself winning despite the faulty game mechanics more so than because of them working properly. The computer stick lifts, slashes, poke checks with impunity and I can’t even get my defender to stand still in front of the crease. The computer stops starts and cuts on a dime while my 93 speed and 92 acceleration player runs in place for 3 seconds giving the defenders enough time to make a bone shattering hit with almost no momentum. Meaning while I can square up a borderline charging check and bounce right off a 5’6 alex debrincat with my 6’6 victor headman.

I honestly feel like the developers really do not how to program 10 men working intelligently on the ice, so they have to manufacture a challenge by giving the CPU an edge by allowing them to do stuff that the user simply cannot. You can say whatever you want about ice tilt but there are definitely situations where the CPU decides they have to get a goal in a given situation and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. The biggest culprit is on the power play. The CPU is flat out way aggressive and can play possession keep away from you power play unit when they should be dumping and sitting back. Trying at all costs not to give up the goal. People say it’s because EA doesn’t care but at this point I honestly feel they either do not have the technology or the comprehension to program 10 men working independently on the ice.

I had a game tonight where I beat the CPU 9-1 tonight, and despite the big win found myself frustrated and just shut the game off. Now that the newness factor has worn off I am really starting to lose interest in this game and really feel like EA Canada needs to take a year off and really figure out a way to retool this games mechanics.
What slider set are you using? I’ve been using AlTito’s with a few modifications on my end, and haven’t had any issue with CPI puck possession. Also, with the size attribute slider, I’ve found a bit more break between a Hedman-type guy vs. A Debrincat-type.

Hopefully this helps, because with the amount of random-“this game sucks/the devs are dummies” threads that you have on the go, you’re clearly not having fun.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
Rookie

VeNOM3099's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7
What slider set are you using? I’ve been using AlTito’s with a few modifications on my end, and haven’t had any issue with CPI puck possession. Also, with the size attribute slider, I’ve found a bit more break between a Hedman-type guy vs. A Debrincat-type.

Hopefully this helps, because with the amount of random-“this game sucks/the devs are dummies” threads that you have on the go, you’re clearly not having fun.
No sliders are gonna fix this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQj2XaPU0e4

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmnQLZBgFhw

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVwWm2Z3DQ0

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQJRw2brxzU

this game just needs to be reprogrammed from the ground up. Begin with HOCKEY and just work your way outwards. As long as the core is solid, everything else will fall in place. But the core of this game is NOT solid. And so everything else is a mess.

Last edited by VeNOM3099; 10-07-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
Rookie

Chiefaho's Arena

If you have anyone to play the game with, it is very fun. The changes they made this year bring enough new to the table to make it worth buying. I have had so much fun playing couch games with friends this year. Against the AI, however, you are 100% correct. Never heard it said better. The game is definitely a CHORE to play. Every year it is just mindless back and forth and every game feels the same with the CPU. Until they actually fix the AI, single player is almost completely useless to people who have been playing the series for a while and are hard-set on playing offline alone.
Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
Cleveland Indians
San Francisco Giants
San Antonio Spurs
Crystal Palace
Schalke 04
Old 10-15-2019, 10:43 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 16

I feel the same. When I'm done playing a game, I feel like I just fought an hour long boss battle in some massive RPG game. I don't feel like "wow, what a great game!" It's far from that right now and definitely not enjoying it. I'm an offline player so that's most likely why.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
Rookie

It's all very weird to me that we are playing the same game. The only thing that I can totally agree with you on is the ping pong passing by the cpu. Totally want that changed. But, honestly, me and a lot of others are having a blast with this game compared to past years. I think it's got to be the puck pickups mostly, but also I notice my cpu players really check the other team aggressively compared to before. I've also learned that the trick to defense is to stick with one player and roam the slot in front of the net and block the passing lanes.

I'm amazed at how good the game feels in HUT where I can't mess with sliders.
It really tells me that this whole virtual reality thing is very subjective.

Honestly never had so many different exciting games as this year. Go figure.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:26 PM   #7
Rookie

VeNOM3099's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlerpaul
It's all very weird to me that we are playing the same game. The only thing that I can totally agree with you on is the ping pong passing by the cpu. Totally want that changed. But, honestly, me and a lot of others are having a blast with this game compared to past years. I think it's got to be the puck pickups mostly, but also I notice my cpu players really check the other team aggressively compared to before. I've also learned that the trick to defense is to stick with one player and roam the slot in front of the net and block the passing lanes.

I'm amazed at how good the game feels in HUT where I can't mess with sliders.
It really tells me that this whole virtual reality thing is very subjective.

Honestly never had so many different exciting games as this year. Go figure.
Well the subjectivity may come from how you prefer to play the game. Are you the kind that loves up and down "hockey" where both teams are constantly on the attack alternatively? Then certainly you'll find this game "exciting".

For myself, I like for there to be thought in how I apply pressure on both attack and defense. Taking my time to see what my opponent does and then countering him/her over the course of the game. A more slower, methodical approach that this game doesn't lend itself to well at all. Especially in HUT!
Old 10-17-2019, 11:50 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNOM3099
Well the subjectivity may come from how you prefer to play the game. Are you the kind that loves up and down "hockey" where both teams are constantly on the attack alternatively? Then certainly you'll find this game "exciting".

For myself, I like for there to be thought in how I apply pressure on both attack and defense. Taking my time to see what my opponent does and then countering him/her over the course of the game. A more slower, methodical approach that this game doesn't lend itself to well at all. Especially in HUT!
You got that right...definitely don't see hockey as slow and methodical.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »