Home

Creating Your Own Sliders

This is a discussion on Creating Your Own Sliders within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2019, 08:16 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Creating Your Own Sliders

I am active on these forums, chiming in with tips on improving User vs CPU game play. And it all starts with the sliders.

The default sliders are not for everyone, so you must alter the sliders to have fair and challenging games.

I think the best way to evaluate slider settings should be through MyLeague games. I think Play Now and MyLeague are entirely two different entities, considering must of us tune sliders to cater our game play for MyLeague play anyway (unless you like to play Exhibitions, to each his own).

Start with a base, typically a difficulty you prefer. If you notice something too excessive (like PIP, 3-point percentage, etc.), lower sliders by 2 increments the next game until you finally find that happy medium. Assess your own playing style: are you excellent at getting to the rim? Are you a marksman from the 3-point line? Is the CPU giving you problems in a certain area? Adjust sliders accordingly.

If you happen to be excellent at blowing by the computer? Think about which sliders would effect your blow-by success.

Example:

User:
Acceleration [first step]
Ball Handling [stick skills]
Fatigue Rate [turbo; exerting energy]

CPU:
On-Ball Defense [improved defensive ability]
Lateral Quickness [shuffle speed]

Your sliders would maybe look something like this, depending on your skill:

User:
Acceleration: 43
Ball Handling: 43
Fatigue Rate: 57

CPU:
On-Ball Defense: 70
Lateral Quickness: 70

Not only did you decrease your success rate but also limited the times you would execute with that player using Fatigue Rate. The more times you attempt a blow-by, the more tired the player will become, forcing yourself to stop trying that move.

If any slider gurus want to add to this, please feel free!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Creating Your Own Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
I am active on these forums, chiming in with tips on improving User vs CPU game play. And it all starts with the sliders.

The default sliders are not for everyone, so you must alter the sliders to have fair and challenging games.

I think the best way to evaluate slider settings should be through MyLeague games. I think Play Now and MyLeague are entirely two different entities, considering must of us tune sliders to cater our game play for MyLeague play anyway (unless you like to play Exhibitions, to each his own).

Start with a base, typically a difficulty you prefer. If you notice something too excessive (like PIP, 3-point percentage, etc.), lower sliders by 2 increments the next game until you finally find that happy medium. Assess your own playing style: are you excellent at getting to the rim? Are you a marksman from the 3-point line? Is the CPU giving you problems in a certain area? Adjust sliders accordingly.

If you happen to be excellent at blowing by the computer? Think about which sliders would effect your blow-by success.

Example:

User:
Acceleration [first step]
Ball Handling [stick skills]
Fatigue Rate [turbo; exerting energy]

CPU:
On-Ball Defense [improved defensive ability]
Lateral Quickness [shuffle speed]

Your sliders would maybe look something like this, depending on your skill:

User:
Acceleration: 43
Ball Handling: 43
Fatigue Rate: 57

CPU:
On-Ball Defense: 70
Lateral Quickness: 70

Not only did you decrease your success rate but also limited the times you would execute with that player using Fatigue Rate. The more times you attempt a blow-by, the more tired the player will become, forcing yourself to stop trying that move.

If any slider gurus want to add to this, please feel free!
@Luke Skywalker great explanation and tips, as you always have great things to bring to this forum! You've stated that the best way to evaluate slider settings is through MyLeague games.

Why is it best to evaluate on? (I would like to know because maybe this will finally be the moment someone convince me to play the game on MyLeague instead of Play Now lol)

Last edited by devroyce; 10-04-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by devroyce
@Luke Skywalker great explanation and tips, as you always have great things to bring to this forum! You've stated that the best way to evaluate slider settings is through MyLeague games.

Why is it best to evaluate on? (I would like to know because maybe this will finally be the moment someone convince me to play the game on MyLeague instead of Play Now lol)
I say that because it is less frustrating and you'll be more inclined to play full games, rather than doing your lab test in exhibition games. You can get your season underway with 82 games to dispose of. I thought it would be best to utilize your efforts as economically as possible. Also, MyLeague is much more dynamic with the "progressive fatigue" so you really get to see the intricacies of the sliders and how they develop via game play. And once you find that happy medium, of course these sliders would be your standard for the other modes - including Play Now.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
I say that because it is less frustrating and you'll be more inclined to play full games, rather than doing your lab test in exhibition games. You can get your season underway with 82 games to dispose of. I thought it would be best to utilize your efforts as economically as possible. Also, MyLeague is much more dynamic with the "progressive fatigue" so you really get to see the intricacies of the sliders and how they develop via game play. And once you find that happy medium, of course these sliders would be your standard for the other modes - including Play Now.
-Full Games: Not an issue as I play this way already. Very good/valid point otherwise because it does force me to play complete games and draw an opinion.
-82 Game Season. Can't get any more real than the real number of games played. I dig.
-Effort Usage: Also realistic in terms of playing a full season and keeping focus/staying up to par with competition. I dig that too.
-Progressive Fatigue: One of greatest points as this absolutely factor into realism rather than one exhibition game that can be perceived as jumping out of bed once in a while to play lol. Dynamic (key word)/unpredictable and based on my usage as well. I dig.
-Game Play Development Over Course with Time: Great.

I'm sold. Thanks @Luke Skywalker

I'm on board with it. Now, I don't have a clue what to do with MyLeague as I know nothing about it. Starting fresh (when I get a chance to play).

Last edited by devroyce; 10-04-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #5
Banned

N/A (started myleague already)

Last edited by devroyce; 10-05-2019 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Changed post due to starting MyLeague
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by devroyce
-Full Games: Not an issue as I play this way already. Very good/valid point otherwise because it does force me to play complete games and draw an opinion.
-82 Game Season. Can't get any more real than the real number of games played. I dig.
-Effort Usage: Also realistic in terms of playing a full season and keeping focus/staying up to par with competition. I dig that too.
-Progressive Fatigue: One of greatest points as this absolutely factor into realism rather than one exhibition game that can be perceived as jumping out of bed once in a while to play lol. Dynamic (key word)/unpredictable and based on my usage as well. I dig.
-Game Play Development Over Course with Time: Great.

I'm sold. Thanks @Luke Skywalker

I'm on board with it. Now, I don't have a clue what to do with MyLeague as I know nothing about it. Starting fresh (when I get a chance to play).
Glad I could help. If you need more tips, Lmk.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:01 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

i'm in
i will follow this 3d, @devroyce finally we can have your work on the myleague

myleague is a lot more fun to play than the play now, you can go more in depth
Old 10-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #8
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Ive captured notes from slider guys. These are pointers I have taken.

Slider explanation threads:
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...explained.html
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...t-working.html
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-gameplay.html
Movement and speed: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...explained.html

Takeoff/Gather at 0
Weak closeouts from defenders. Often hands down, do not make an effort to actually contest shots.

Takeoff/Gather at 100
More aggressive closeouts. Hands up, jumping out at shooters to contest shots.

Release at 0
Shot contests are ineffective. Players hit shots when closely guarded.

Release at 100
Shot contests are effective. Players hit less shots when closely guarded.

Overall,

Takeoff/Gather affects the closeout intensity/animations.
Release affect the effectiveness of the shot contest.

It looks like the takeoff/gather slider affects the closeout speed/intensity of players, but has no effect on the shot %. The release slider controls how effective the shot contest is. The higher the release slider, the less likely a player is to make a contested shot.

Make sure that "Jump Shot Defense Strength (Gather)" is lower than or equal to "Layup Defense Strength (Takeoff)", as it will lead to more drive-and-kick offensive possessions, more pull-up jumpers, and more passes by the CPU before each shot. If the Layup (Takeoff) defense slider is lower than Jump Shot (Gather), the CPU will continue to force their way into the paint, ignore perimeter shooters, and have limited ball movement in their half-court sets. Don't set the Jump Shot (Gather) slider too low, though, or else you will have too many open players around the perimeter, poor defense against pick-and-roll/fade, and a lack of proper player interaction/jump-shot animations and variety. Once you have the right balance from the CPU offense and User/CPU defensive decision making and animations, increase the (Release) sliders until you start seeing the amount of missed layups/shots that you want.

Driving Contact Shot Frequency and Acceleration affect defender halo when driving vs blocked. High = catchup contact animations, Low = breakaway speed by ball handlers.

Team shooting by distance and others: https://www.basketball-reference.com.../NBA_2019.html
Team rankings: https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/steals-per-game

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »