Home

The Dilemma of "accurate" heights

This is a discussion on The Dilemma of "accurate" heights within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
The Dilemma of "accurate" heights

So does anybody else see this "accurate" height thing basically ruining player scaling? Not a single NBA player plays barefoot.. Supposedly the game is already scaled accurately so a 6'6 player is 6'6 on the floor WITH his shoes on... I already see so many people making a huge deal over this all over the internet, and I can already picture 2K and roster makers going in and changing all these heights thus jacking up how the players are actually supposed to look on the court...

I could understand making someone taller, KD has already been changed to 6'10 on the Nets page though no "exact" measurement that I've seen yet.. So bumping him from 6'9 to say 6'11 in the game would make sense.. But going in and making everyone shorter just seems like it would throw things out of whack IMO..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #2
MVP

BaselineBakes's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: The Dilemma of "accurate" heights

Gotta think if they do even go in a change it, from the camera perspectives that the game is played on (tilted down) any difference in 1-2 inches of height would be barely noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-05-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaselineBakes
Gotta think if they do even go in a change it, from the camera perspectives that the game is played on (tilted down) any difference in 1-2 inches of height would be barely noticeable.

But changing the height of players also effects reach, which could also effect shot blocking, tipped passes, not getting blocked, etc.. It's not necessarily just how they look. And players have had in-shoe measurements for YEARS.. So in the instance of All-Time teams, or even playing current team vs a classic team it's going to cause inaccuracies there as well.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:29 PM   #4
MVP

BaselineBakes's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
But changing the height of players also effects reach, which could also effect shot blocking, tipped passes, not getting blocked, etc

I always thought all of that stuff was tied to ratings but I guess it could mess with that?

Also for it to effect all of those things you’d think it would you’d also have to assume that 2k has accurate wingspans for all of the players anyway (they definitely don’t).

Old 10-05-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
So does anybody else see this "accurate" height thing basically ruining player scaling? Not a single NBA player plays barefoot.. Supposedly the game is already scaled accurately so a 6'6 player is 6'6 on the floor WITH his shoes on... I already see so many people making a huge deal over this all over the internet, and I can already picture 2K and roster makers going in and changing all these heights thus jacking up how the players are actually supposed to look on the court...

I could understand making someone taller, KD has already been changed to 6'10 on the Nets page though no "exact" measurement that I've seen yet.. So bumping him from 6'9 to say 6'11 in the game would make sense.. But going in and making everyone shorter just seems like it would throw things out of whack IMO..
They would change them to accurate heights. It's not a global increase/decrease of the heights.

Sent from my PH-1 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 8

Don’t forget about draft classes...
Old 10-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
They would change them to accurate heights. It's not a global increase/decrease of the heights.

Sent from my PH-1 using Operation Sports mobile app
My point was they won't be "accurate" heights because 2K is scaled in a way that it's the players size on the court.. All of which are wearing shoes. When you edit a player his height is changing up or down while he's wearing shoes.

You can't have MJ for example 6'6 and change Draymond to 6'5 or whatever he's going to measure when he's closer to 6'7 standing next to MJ on a basketball court. That's more so my point.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:53 PM   #8
MVP

BaselineBakes's Arena

Quote:

You can't have MJ for example 6'6 and change Draymond to 6'5 or whatever he's going to measure when he's closer to 6'7 standing next to MJ on a basketball court. That's more so my point.
I can see that being an issue for sure. That’s a good point.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »