Home

Why did these things disappear?

This is a discussion on Why did these things disappear? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #1
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9
Why did these things disappear?

I notice 3 very disappointing things that have been TAKEN AWAY:

1. The game speed slider. For those of us who aren't experts or have slower reflexes, "Slow" or "Very Slow" which were really only fine-tuning, really helped. Now they're gone!

2. Speaking of speed, at the same time they decide to make "Fast" the default speed setting on super-sim. And if you change it that change doesn't stick. So I start super-simming a drive and before I can blink or mash down on the square button to change speeds, 10 plays have gone by? Why make this the default?

3. You used to be able to, in-game, select plays by concept, and by situation (i.e. "Stop Deep Middle", "Stop Short Outside". Both of these are gone. Even in practice mode, we can't select random play (or non-random) by concept. Even random play is now broken. I know that it actually does work it's just that the L1 doesn't do anything right away, but still for this to break is unexcusable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Why did these things disappear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75

1. The game speed slider. For those of us who aren't experts or have slower reflexes, "Slow" or "Very Slow" which were really only fine-tuning, really helped. Now they're gone!

2. Speaking of speed, at the same time they decide to make "Fast" the default speed setting on super-sim. And if you change it that change doesn't stick. So I start super-simming a drive and before I can blink or mash down on the square button to change speeds, 10 plays have gone by? Why make this the default?

3. You used to be able to, in-game, select plays by concept, and by situation (i.e. "Stop Deep Middle", "Stop Short Outside". Both of these are gone. Even in practice mode, we can't select random play (or non-random) by concept. Even random play is now broken. I know that it actually does work it's just that the L1 doesn't do anything right away, but still for this to break is unexcusable.
I learned about the super sim speed in the playoffs. I just meant to skip the kick which I always do cause I hate the sliding bar mechanic, and the cpu sim does it justice so I don’t miss pats if my dog barks or something. Next thing you know they moved the ball halfway down the field. Thank god my defenses red zone performance was outstanding that season.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:21 AM   #3
Pro

sinthros's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:

1. In general I'm fine with them balancing around one speed, if it works. I've been spoiled by gameplay modding on PC though, so I couldn't tell you much about how base Madden plays in regard to that.

2. Agreed. Fast shouldn't be the default, or at the very least your changes should stick if you want them to.

3. The practice thing being broken is so ridiculous. Triple A company by the way.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:37 AM   #4
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

1 & 2

Apparently EA said that they couldn't get the animations right on different speeds.... There is not that many new animations in the game tbh. The only thing I can think is the RPO additions. I think it was more of we don't have time for it or we just don't want to. The online crowd plays on normal speed, so there you have it. I looked at modding game speed but only could slow down the user controlled player and not the NPC. I've been told by a good source we don't see everything using the frosty editor, so it's not all there to tweak/mod. Editing ratings works the best imo in regards to getting the desired gameplay & using thresholds.

Playing:

Last edited by Darth Aegis; 10-21-2019 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:50 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaReal Milticket
1 & 2

Apparently EA said that they couldn't get the animations right on different speeds.... There is not that many new animations in the game tbh. The only thing I can think is the RPO additions. I think it was more of we don't have time for it or we just don't want to. The online crowd plays on normal speed, so there you have it. I looked at modding game speed but only could slow down the user controlled player and not the NPC. I've been told by a good source we don't see everything using the frosty editor, so it's not all there to tweak/mod. Editing ratings works the best imo in regards to getting the desired gameplay & using thresholds.

The RPO connection is a good theory. Those plays require real bang-bang actions by the user, where you have to assume the player will be where he needs to be. I can see that going really bad. There is already an issue with not getting the ball off quick enough on some of the plays causing a lot of ineligible receivers downfield. I could see them taking the year to figure out the balancing, but also deciding the multiple game speeds works against them more than it helps.

It's bad enough that people post frustrations about how the game lays without a posting settings and sliders, but gamespeed just adds to it. What gamers considering the game read is a ton of complicated opinions, and it seems like just getting the game to run is a chore.

Personally, the number one thing I did that increased my enjoyment of all sports games, EA or others, is to embrace the default settings. Enjoy the game as it is, and stop screwing with sliders. Go back to how sports games were when they were the most fun, which was when we accepted sports games for what they are, fun diversions based on the sports and players we love.

People love to talk about how options make the games better. But, often, they just seem to clutter the game, and create really terrible discussions of the games online. No one is playing the same game. God love the PC folks, because I can see the fun in going to town and modding the game. But, for me, it just brings back memories of what made me give up PC gaming in the first place, which was obsessing over "fixing" the games I played instead of enjoying the games I played. But if they can do things that inspire the devs, more power to them!

And I get that folks think that everyone is different, so sliders are essential to allowing everyone to enjoy their game the way they want. But, honestly, I don't see that happening. None of the people obsessing over sliders seem to like the game. What we do have are sports fans mocking gamers that are "competitive," as though that should have nothing to do with sports games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2019, 01:09 AM   #6
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
The RPO connection is a good theory. Those plays require real bang-bang actions by the user, where you have to assume the player will be where he needs to be. I can see that going really bad.

I don't really buy that. The slow game-play, I thought just universally slows down the action of ALL players by a fixed amount. Relative speed should not be a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
God love the PC folks, because I can see the fun in going to town and modding the game. But, for me, it just brings back memories of what made me give up PC gaming in the first place, which was obsessing over "fixing" the games I played instead of enjoying the games I played. But if they can do things that inspire the devs, more power to them!

There I agree. But the thought of inspiring the devs I think is wishful thinking. If they had any pride in their work or motivation to improve their craft, Madden would be a much better game.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:33 AM   #7
Pro

sinthros's Arena

Quote:
I don't really buy that. The slow game-play, I thought just universally slows down the action of ALL players by a fixed amount. Relative speed should not be a concern.

There I agree. But the thought of inspiring the devs I think is wishful thinking. If they had any pride in their work or motivation to improve their craft, Madden would be a much better game.
Well, I definitely don't think they're the best dev team by any stretch, but the devs themselves aren't so bad. Additionally, gameplay modders like Sabo have attempted/are attempting to show certain edits and fixes to EA in hopes of their changes trickling down to the base game on PC/console gamers who can't mod the game, which would be really awesome. So I think there's definitely an inspiration there.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #8
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Random play does work in practice. Just choose random play and then pick another play. The first play you picked will be the one you chose and every play after will be random. There is a bug but easily worked around.

Sent from my LG-AS993 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »