Home

Madden 20 “Sim”/Competitive Mindset going forward

This is a discussion on Madden 20 “Sim”/Competitive Mindset going forward within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2019, 12:51 AM   #1
MVP

BlackBetty15's Arena

OVR: 12
Madden 20 “Sim”/Competitive Mindset going forward

So I have been kicking around the idea of which slider to make this game play to the “sim” effect and what rosters to coincide with said Slider set so I can get the all ever elusive “sim” result. It’s been painful really because Madden has ultimately done something seriously weird with its sliders and no one knows anything yet have these varied results that teeter on the line of basically discovering a new element for mankind. So I basically got to thinking (I know, Madden plus thinking is dangerous)...what if it’s more basic than we think?

I mean, what if MADDEN can’t and will never be what sim is and the “simulation” setting is really a dumb down effect of what Madden was and has ALWAYS been designed...which was the competitive setting. I mean Madden was never “sim”. At least I don’t think. It has always been tuned and programmed with user stick skills in mind. I believe there was even an article that when the three settings first were introduced, it was blatantly stated that sim was an option but madden has from day one been tuned with “competitive” code and this sim was added and of course it sucks. They would have to rebuild an entire game to get the setting playing out in the 2K fashion which I assume people want.

I literally don’t think its possible to really get a sim type game out of madden when it has and never will be designed for sim. Sad to say as the setting is a bit of fools gold in a way. But after seeing all this craziness in the slider forum has anyone maybe went this route and maybe drive the competitive mode that route? I mean it literally is how the game is built and in my caveman mind I think manipulate THAT setting to get what we want versus a clear setting that I swear, is like creating another season of American Horror Story. No offense of course to the slider/roster studs. I get the pain of all that...but I swear I would have more luck marking up and wishing in Marie Laveau’s grace than I would getting any of the craziness I have seen to work. What are tells thoughts?

Last edited by BlackBetty15; 10-23-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2019, 02:25 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 20 “Sim”/Competitive Mindset going forward

I play almost exclusively on competitive. It's a much better experience. So much so that I'd guess if OS posters were able to play a game without being shown what mode it's in (sort of like a blind taste test) that most would also prefer competitive.

I can't think of a single aspect of the game that the "simulation" mode actually does better and you will suffer from way more odd AI behavior.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:32 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
I play almost exclusively on competitive. It's a much better experience. So much so that I'd guess if OS posters were able to play a game without being shown what mode it's in (sort of like a blind taste test) that most would also prefer competitive.

I can't think of a single aspect of the game that the "simulation" mode actually does better and you will suffer from way more odd AI behavior.
Stinkubus, do you play vs. the CPU on competitive mode, or vs. other humans?

If the former, can you elaborate on which AI behaviors are better on competitive mode than on sim mode?

My top concerns are typically QB play and CMP % for the CPU offense and the quality of the coverage for the HUM and CPU defense. Do you find these areas of the game to be better on competitive?
Old 10-23-2019, 07:17 AM   #4
MVP

BlackBetty15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Raider

If the former, can you elaborate on which AI behaviors are better on competitive mode than on sim mode?

My top concerns are typically QB play and CMP % for the CPU offense and the quality of the coverage for the HUM and CPU defense. Do you find these areas of the game to be better on competitive?
So without having a huge sampling size (2 games to be precise) I have noticed the CPU running pretty well against me. Chiefs vs 49ers to be exact and it was surprising. Again though, people will always find fantastic results when are absolutely hungry to find them lol It was also “play now”. I am going to give it a whirl with OPI and IG off in CFM and see what this nets me. However, I am 100% sure (internally anway) that this game is tuned, created, and designed on the competitive mode. The sooner we “sim” crowd accept that and move forward maybe the sooner madden will be a a terrible ex girlfriend?
Old 10-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Raider

I play both CPU and humans. Coverage is definitely better on competitive. The only head scratching breakdowns I get are typically in the 4th quarter vs. players with the "Clutch" trait (this needs to go).

Ironically almost all of my simulation play was vs. humans (32 man cfms). In the handful of games I played vs. CPU I don't recall a big difference in QB performance.

CPU completion percentage is a tough one because they will check down so often. I get many games where the CPU will complete 70+% of its passes... for about 4-5 yards per attempt.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2019, 09:10 PM   #6
Rookie

I have always found the better gameplay on competitive, just have to accept that there will be no penalties called.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:27 PM   #7
Pro

A little off topic, but if memory serves me, I think I read in an older thread where one of the pc guys said there wasn't much difference between comp and sim "under the hood". Maybe one of the pc mod guys can confirm or deny that for me.

I've often wondered if there are plans to combine modes (like they did before) and simply do away with "sim" altogether. No refs, removed the huddle/walk-up, one game speed, removed D-holding, etc, etc.

And honestly, comp mode isn't that bad, IF you can get over having no penalties, as Audbal said.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-23-2019, 10:50 PM   #8
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

If they ever do away with sim mode they better add a couple dozen more sliders to allow those of us who still want to attempt to mimic real football to tune the game for ourselves as best we can. If they don't, it will be easy for me to simply walk away from the series.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »