Home

NCAA approving paying athletes

This is a discussion on NCAA approving paying athletes within the College Hoops 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2019, 06:08 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
NCAA approving paying athletes

It looks like this game will return.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:45 PM   #2
Just started!

Re: NCAA approving paying athletes

Fingers crossed! Everyone on social media is like yes more college football games! I'm sitting here like we've been waiting a decade for college basketball. The college bits in the recent nba 2k games have me salivating.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
Rookie

Gamzilla's Arena

OVR: 3

Please let this happen!!!
Old 10-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
Rookie

supafly03's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
It looks like this game will return.

Would be great.

Though, last time around the NCAA basically signed a deal with EA(like the NFL), if I remember correctly, and therefore we only had NCAA March Madness.
New Jersey Devils
Philadelphia Eagles
Old 10-30-2019, 07:20 AM   #5
Pro

Things to remember: Game manufacturers are going to have to pay a hefty fee to pay the players, a cost they didn't have before...will they be to do it and keep the price reasonable? Lots of negotiating would have to take place.

There is no "players association" for college athletes like pro sports leagues, which means they have to have permission from each and every athlete until such an organization is established, and even then individual players can opt out (though I don't think many would).

Remember, the NCAA doesn't own the rights, the players do, so the NCAA has nothing to do with that side of it, other than freeing up the players to negotiate.

Expect it to take a long time before an arrangement is worked out...

Last edited by JTommy67; 10-30-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
MVP

pinbw's Arena

I think if anything, a new football game by ea may come out between 2022 and 2025 at the earliest . But I wonder if the game will be made annually or just every few years . It would be better to keep the ability to customize the game from ground up in case they stop making the game again.....so we can just create the players ourself with the newer game.

Maybe then they only pay the players likeness during the year the game is released and the other years if we customize the game, it will be free of all of this. But With future litigation like this, I fear these guys coming after sites like this and shutting all of us down and all the guys here creating and providing player likeness year after year...free of charge.

If they do something like that, then they will kill all the fun for everyone on this site permanently. We will all have to adapt and find new places to get rosters if this site ever goes away in the mid 2020s.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:27 PM   #7
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

I doubt we'll ever see another college basketball game. The licensing was too expensive a decade ago for 2K to continue, even without factoring in the additional cost of compensating student-athletes. I imagine it'll be significantly more expensive today.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 10-30-2019, 05:57 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I doubt we'll ever see another college basketball game. The licensing was too expensive a decade ago for 2K to continue, even without factoring in the additional cost of compensating student-athletes. I imagine it'll be significantly more expensive today.
Especially considering College Basketball doesn't have the same pull as CFB. Low sales was a big reason both games were discontinued despite being well received. College Basketball is as marketable as its most marketable player. Unless you have a polarizing player like Zion, the casual fan isn't tuning in until March Madness.

2k could afford the costs especially with the money they are making from microtransactions from NBA2k. But with them signing that NBA deal, their focus is on NBA2k. Especially with the mess WWE is. I could see them incorporating NCAA teams to MyCareer again. But not sure if they want to invest in a game that might just break even.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K »