Home

Most predictable online game

This is a discussion on Most predictable online game within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Most predictable online game

When playing EASHL club or dropin why is it so easy to tell who's going to win either before the end of the 1st or 2nd period? The games are so blatantly predictable, win or lose, and it honestly doesn't seem to make any difference if your team is playing terribly or spot on.

I know DDA has been mentioned numerous times in trying to keep the playing field as close as possible but will EA ever understand that it's just not fun that way. Up 3-0, well you can be 99% certain that it will be 3-2 or 3-3 within 5 or 10 gameplay minutes. Want to know when your team or the other is going to get a shutout? Just watch how the ai or even human goalies will suddenly react and stop shots that 99% of the time would go in.

It's just so frustrating in trying to play this game to simply find some kind of enjoyment when playing online. Why does EA have to dictate and script outcomes instead of allowing the users to do so? Is it because some games would possibly be 20-0 and they're afraid that they'd lose their user base that's been dwindling away anyway for the last 5 years. I'd give anything to have a game that doesn't have any script/tilt/DDA and then see how the games turn out when you have identical ai on both teams when required and then simply leave it up to the skill of the users to decide the outcomes. Is that asking too much?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Most predictable online game

Play offline,,,and be even more frustrated.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:54 PM   #3
MVP

jr86's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack72
Play offline,,,and be even more frustrated.
Not been my experience. Gotta change up those strategies. Teams come back from 2 goals down all the time.
Cgy v Nashville the other night.
Pitt v Boston last night.

If those 2 games had happened in this game people would have been screaming bloody murder!!
Old 11-06-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
Rookie

VeNOM3099's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr86
Not been my experience. Gotta change up those strategies. Teams come back from 2 goals down all the time.
Cgy v Nashville the other night.
Pitt v Boston last night.

If those 2 games had happened in this game people would have been screaming bloody murder!!
The difference is that most times, teams come back because they give a renewed effort while the other team backs off.

Sure there are times when a very close game can suddenly be even due to a lucky goal. But in this game you can be up 5-0, and then for some reason in the third period every little turd from the point magically finds its way behind the goalie. Every deflection goes to the opponent's stick, every legal hit is a penalty against your team. Passes go astray. Shots you were scoring on in the first two periods suddenly go wide or hit every limb on the way to the net. If you play with AI, they will suddenly forget to be in position like they were at the beginning of the game.

And it's not just something that happens against you all the time. I've also been on the receiving end of these situations where my team absolutely sucked the entire time. Then when my opponent goes up 3-0, everything goes my way. Every shot hits the net. Every pass is crisp. My AI act like the 1980's Oilers. And suddenly my opponent who was absolutely destroying me can't hit pass from 5 feet out. Can't hit the net. Every rebound and deflection goes to my players. His goalie becomes a sieve.

It's not fun...
Old 11-06-2019, 06:31 PM   #5
MVP

jr86's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNOM3099
The difference is that most times, teams come back because they give a renewed effort while the other team backs off.

Sure there are times when a very close game can suddenly be even due to a lucky goal. But in this game you can be up 5-0, and then for some reason in the third period every little turd from the point magically finds its way behind the goalie. Every deflection goes to the opponent's stick, every legal hit is a penalty against your team. Passes go astray. Shots you were scoring on in the first two periods suddenly go wide or hit every limb on the way to the net. If you play with AI, they will suddenly forget to be in position like they were at the beginning of the game.

And it's not just something that happens against you all the time. I've also been on the receiving end of these situations where my team absolutely sucked the entire time. Then when my opponent goes up 3-0, everything goes my way. Every shot hits the net. Every pass is crisp. My AI act like the 1980's Oilers. And suddenly my opponent who was absolutely destroying me can't hit pass from 5 feet out. Can't hit the net. Every rebound and deflection goes to my players. His goalie becomes a sieve.

It's not fun...
Our definitions of 'fun' are quite different.
Personally I enjoy the fact that if I go 2 or 3 goals up the CPU makes a concerted effort to get back into the game. Have I seen them do some of the things you listed- absolutely. But Until we have AI that can play like humans, of course there is going to be an element of cheese in order to keep things competitive. I prefer it this way otherwise what is the other option- we win every game comfortably while leading or can never make a comeback while trailing??
The point is nearly all sports games have some kind of this element programmed in. Even the much lauded 'Show' which went as far one year to include a toggle option slider if you fell a certain number of runs behind you would get an artificial boost to your hitting.. can't get much more obvious than that..go figure!!
Whilst for sure there can be some shady goings on in this game they far pail in comparison to the other so called 'gold' standard game Nba2k where 3rd quarter heavy cheese is in full effect nearly each and every game!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
Rookie

VeNOM3099's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr86
Our definitions of 'fun' are quite different.
Personally I enjoy the fact that if I go 2 or 3 goals up the CPU makes a concerted effort to get back into the game. Have I seen them do some of the things you listed- absolutely. But Until we have AI that can play like humans, of course there is going to be an element of cheese in order to keep things competitive. I prefer it this way otherwise what is the other option- we win every game comfortably while leading or can never make a comeback while trailing??
The point is nearly all sports games have some kind of this element programmed in. Even the much lauded 'Show' which went as far one year to include a toggle option slider if you fell a certain number of runs behind you would get an artificial boost to your hitting.. can't get much more obvious than that..go figure!!
Whilst for sure there can be some shady goings on in this game they far pail in comparison to the other so called 'gold' standard game Nba2k where 3rd quarter heavy cheese is in full effect nearly each and every game!
Here's your "concerted" effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQj2XaPU0e4

I play NBA 2K20. And while there are some things that need fixing, the overall package (especially the gameplay aspects) make NHL 20 look like Nintendo Hockey by comparison. Actually, I may be doing NES Hockey a disservice putting it next to NHL 20 in terms of quality. LOL.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:55 PM   #7
Rookie

CDN_MTN_BEAR's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNOM3099
Here's your "concerted" effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQj2XaPU0e4

I play NBA 2K20. And while there are some things that need fixing, the overall package (especially the gameplay aspects) make NHL 20 look like Nintendo Hockey by comparison. Actually, I may be doing NES Hockey a disservice putting it next to NHL 20 in terms of quality. LOL.
This so-called "concerted" effort is so that every feels involved. You know, especially with today's mindset of participation awards. According to the idio.... I mean the individuals that program EA Hockey, even the weakest, laziest and non-skilled "players" get a chance to be a part of a winning team, despite their lack of any real positive impact on the game. This current game isn't based off of any real skill.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »