Home

Goaltending

This is a discussion on Goaltending within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #1
Rookie

CM_Balkoth's Arena

OVR: 0
Goaltending

Just thought I’d start up a thread for anyone who mostly plays as a goalie either in Be a Pro or online. Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like, sometimes, no matter how in position I am, I always give up a goal. Usually around the last minutes of the third period is when this happens. Does anyone have any tips for improving or just some suggestions in general?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
Rookie

VeNOM3099's Arena

Re: Goaltending

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM_Balkoth
Just thought I’d start up a thread for anyone who mostly plays as a goalie either in Be a Pro or online. Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like, sometimes, no matter how in position I am, I always give up a goal. Usually around the last minutes of the third period is when this happens. Does anyone have any tips for improving or just some suggestions in general?

According to EA: "Goalies just gotta get sniped sometimes". No matter how good you are or how perfect your positioning is, you will have to rely on the game to make saves. Sometimes you will, sometimes you won't. Nothing you can do about that.

My suggestion? If you're gonna play this position, just go into it knowing NOTHING you do will actually matter. You will win and lose mostly based off the team in front of you, not your knowledge or skill in net.

Goalies are the least enjoyable position to play as in the game since NHL 16. Even if you are good at it, and you played this position before in real life, you will hate nearly every moment you play this position. Win or Lose.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #3
Rookie

CM_Balkoth's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNOM3099
According to EA: "Goalies just gotta get sniped sometimes". No matter how good you are or how perfect your positioning is, you will have to rely on the game to make saves. Sometimes you will, sometimes you won't. Nothing you can do about that.

My suggestion? If you're gonna play this position, just go into it knowing NOTHING you do will actually matter. You will win and lose mostly based off the team in front of you, not your knowledge or skill in net.

Goalies are the least enjoyable position to play as in the game since NHL 16. Even if you are good at it, and you played this position before in real life, you will hate nearly every moment you play this position. Win or Lose.

Yeah, been trying to remind myself that. I think my biggest complaint is it always seems like that piles on in the third period. First two periods go smoothly and the third, the AI suddenly remembers how to score hahaha

Been watching a lot of videos on YouTube and I definitely want to enjoy playing goal, but it’s tough.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
Banned

Yeah the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period has made playing goalie no fun for me. The cpu does whatever it takes to make the game close at the end. More times than not I give up multiple goals in the 3rd, especially the last 10 minutes. Some of the goals are legitimate but mostly it's incredibly soft goals, own goals, or the ai turns into 5 Gretzky's.

Perfect example, last night I had a shutout on 28 saves with 10 minutes to go leading 4-0 in an AHL be a pro game. 5 minutes and 5 shots later I had given up 4 goals!!! One own goal, one soft wrister over the glove from between the circle and blue line with no screen, one 100 mph 1 timer, and something else. Don't remember because I was enraged by then.

If it happened occasionally that would be one thing but it happens a lot. I would estimate 75% of the time.

It's a shame because for 50 minutes it's a lot of fun but those last 10 absolutely RUINS everything.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #5
Banned

It's also a shame that they devote so many resources to making the game trendy rather than good.

That's what happens when bean counters are in charge
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2019, 10:59 PM   #6
Rookie

CM_Balkoth's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerScott
Yeah the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period has made playing goalie no fun for me. The cpu does whatever it takes to make the game close at the end. More times than not I give up multiple goals in the 3rd, especially the last 10 minutes. Some of the goals are legitimate but mostly it's incredibly soft goals, own goals, or the ai turns into 5 Gretzky's.

Perfect example, last night I had a shutout on 28 saves with 10 minutes to go leading 4-0 in an AHL be a pro game. 5 minutes and 5 shots later I had given up 4 goals!!! One own goal, one soft wrister over the glove from between the circle and blue line with no screen, one 100 mph 1 timer, and something else. Don't remember because I was enraged by then.

If it happened occasionally that would be one thing but it happens a lot. I would estimate 75% of the time.

It's a shame because for 50 minutes it's a lot of fun but those last 10 absolutely RUINS everything.

Glad I’m not the only one that’s run into this problem hahaha

Old 11-16-2019, 10:43 PM   #7
Rookie

I love playing goal, and do it exclusively. I play mostly online in drop ins (which can be dubious for a goalie). I’ve gotten very good at it and enjoy having the ability to stand out at a position that most people won’t even touch. To me it’s the most fun position and wouldn’t want to play anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbeagle11
I love playing goal, and do it exclusively. I play mostly online in drop ins (which can be dubious for a goalie). I’ve gotten very good at it and enjoy having the ability to stand out at a position that most people won’t even touch. To me it’s the most fun position and wouldn’t want to play anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Question about online goaltending. As an offline goalie I hate that the cpu frequently over rules my input, that is I may press RT to go to butterfly but my input is delayed because the cpu wants to do something else. Is it like that online or do you have complete control?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »