Home

It's Really Time to Separate Game modes

This is a discussion on It's Really Time to Separate Game modes within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #1
MVP

wrestlinggod1's Arena

OVR: 13
It's Really Time to Separate Game modes

Okay so I know this is beating a dead horse, but hear me out. Obviously, people who buy 2K to play with their MyPlayer online and people who buy 2K to simulate the NBA have two different opinions on how the game should play.

So I think that 2K makes a free to play game where you create your MyPlayer. This game will have all of the MyWhatever game modes tied to it. You'll be given the option to create a player with attribute caps that can be taken online in this free to play game, or a cap free player that can be transferred into NBA 2K21 for the MyCareer mode. Similar to how it is currently done with the prelude. 2K will still be able to charge people for VC, and I think it would still be profitable. It can be the basketball version of Fortnite.

The whole reason I brought this up again is because I feel that 2K has strayed away from the "NBA" portion of their NBA 2K series. I also feel that Czar, Beluba, and OG can't make the game that they TRULY want to because of the demands from higher ups. I understand that MyPlayer and VC has become the money maker, but I don't think people who want to play an NBA sim game should have to suffer.

Thoughts? Feedback?

Go MIAMI Teams!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: It's Really Time to Separate Game modes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlinggod1
Okay so I know this is beating a dead horse, but hear me out. Obviously, people who buy 2K to play with their MyPlayer online and people who buy 2K to simulate the NBA have two different opinions on how the game should play.

So I think that 2K makes a free to play game where you create your MyPlayer. This game will have all of the MyWhatever game modes tied to it. You'll be given the option to create a player with attribute caps that can be taken online in this free to play game, or a cap free player that can be transferred into NBA 2K21 for the MyCareer mode. Similar to how it is currently done with the prelude. 2K will still be able to charge people for VC, and I think it would still be profitable. It can be the basketball version of Fortnite.

The whole reason I brought this up again is because I feel that 2K has strayed away from the "NBA" portion of their NBA 2K series. I also feel that Czar, Beluba, and OG can't make the game that they TRULY want to because of the demands from higher ups. I understand that MyPlayer and VC has become the money maker, but I don't think people who want to play an NBA sim game should have to suffer.

Thoughts? Feedback?
Won't happen.

What they need to do (which I think is somewhat happening anyways) is to be able to tweak the game modes independently of each other. However, the idea of having separate games pretty much falls on deaf ears, because offline players will always have the ability to tweak the game due to sliders. PNO is (seems like it anyways) a small base of players, but I won't say that they don't care about PNO. PNO is just not a high priority for them. In my eyes, MyTeam/Park/REC are the same demographic players. MyTeam is somewhat the same as MyPlayer, but gamers are able to get OP players without going through the hassle of grinding badges and attributes.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #3
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlinggod1

Thoughts? Feedback?
They'll never do separate games, just simply due to the fact that a TON of people buy the game at $60 only for the MyTEAM/Player/Career stuff. 2K isn't going to give that away for free, because those people are still going to spend more money on VC after already buying the game.

What 2K needs to do is create two separate gameplay styles: Competitive and Simulation. All online modes would be set to Competitive, and offline would be set to Simulation. With these separate game styles, 2K can then tweak gameplay parameters independently so that tuners and patches to the Simulation style would only affect Offline players, and tuners/patches to the Competitive style would only affect online players.

For example, 2K could tweak gameplay so that when playing the Simulation gamestyle fouls are called realistically instead of ignored (as they have been for YEARS) without upsetting the online players who just want to run around without fouls. Competitive could be set so that injuries and cutscenes are completely removed, while Simulation would keep cutscenes and have completely different parameters allowing injuries at a realistic rate. Online and Offline gameplay would be two completely separate, independent ecosystems that would no longer need to rely on compromises between the offline and online community as far as how the game should play.

Last edited by EccentricMeat; 12-04-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #4
Rookie

They had it right 10 years ago. Sim and arcade servers.

Its not rocket science but they make it seem that way.
No way Mycareer animations and gameplay should keep leaking into the NBA modes.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:54 PM   #5
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

I wish they would make 2 games, or put more effort into making a NBA simulation, and have it on the same disc as their fantasy gimic modes. I do think guys like DaCzar, OG and probably some others would like to be able to focus more on making a NBA simulation, but the Esec's/ owners of the company, look at the modes that they can rake in the money, and thats why the cater to the casuals who play online, instead of the true hardcore basketball fans, that by the way made NBA2k the company it is today.

Unfortunately their is more casual basketball fans, playing this game, than those of us who are diehard basketball fans.I dont ever see 2k ever separating the game into 2 games, 1 for the gimic, fantasy modes for the casuals, and 1 for the diehard basketball fans, who want a NBA simulation.

In all honestly they probably could make more money by separating the game into 2 games, because Im sure there is some diehard basketball fans, who play online, but also like My League, and wish it was more of a NBA simulation. So there would likely be people who would end up buying both games.

Sure they would need to hire more devs, because the issue now is probably a lack of people working on the game, which is why were getting such a poor NBA simulation now days. Maybe they feel the budget increase wouldnt be worth it in sales to focus on separating the 2 sides of the game. I cant imagine guys like DaCzar and OG can be happy with the poor job the game does in simulating the NBA, with the game having the same issues yr after yr on the actual NBA side of the game. They just cant say to much about it, publicly otherwise they would likely lose their job. So I dont blame them for being quiet as Im sure they make excellent money, and I wouldnt be surprised if they dont earn extra bonus money thru the fantasy side with all the micro transactions.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2019, 08:48 PM   #6
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

They're not making two discs when everything can fit on one...Period.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:18 PM   #7
MVP

wrestlinggod1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
They're not making two discs when everything can fit on one...Period.
I didn't say anything about two discs. Free to play games are digital. That's why I said it can be the basketball version of fortnite, since I feel like that's what they want.

Go MIAMI Teams!!
Old 12-05-2019, 12:25 AM   #8
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

An offline only 2K game in 2019 would be a complete flop sales wise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »