Home

Old 12-09-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
Rookie

MoneyMan17's Arena

OVR: 0
Power Discrepancy

I don't know if this has been discussed on here before, but I wanted to see if anyone else has this problem too.

When playing games, I've noticed there's a huge power gap between guys with high power ratings and those with mid level or lower power ratings.

It feels like unless a guy has 70+ power, it is rare to hit a home run or even a solid gap shot with him. Guys with mid level power in the 50's or 60's should hit home runs sometimes, and even guys with power lower than that should smoke some line drives with good timing + good pitch to hit and even get the occasional dinger.

An example of this is with DJ LeMahieu in my franchise, I hit 0 home runs with him through July and only 2 over the entire season playing every game. He hit 26 in real life and although this was more than usual for him, 2 is way too few for what his power rankings are.

This is less of an issue when simulating, where the numbers look normal. If you sim a test season, LeMahieu might hit as little as 10 or as many as 20 home runs.

But when playing games, it feels like guys without 70+ power are constantly making weak contact, when that just isn't realistic.

Problem with adjusting power slider is that you may get more realistic stats with mid level power guys but then Judge and Stanton will hit 60 every year.

Last edited by MoneyMan17; 12-09-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #2
Bacon's Fictional Roster

bacon96's Arena

Re: Power Discrepancy

Weird. I've noticed I hit for more power than I should with mid-tier guys and then they underperform when simulating.

A part of this issue may be the users ability as well but I definitely don't disagree that there is an issue between in game and irl.

Join my Discord Server!

#BaseballisBetter
Old 12-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I like how A&S has Human and CPU Solid Hit slider at 4. But finding the perfect slider set to match the users skill set is tricky and demands patience.

A Work in Progress
Old 12-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

OP - would you say that most of your HR's go to center field or the power alleys? If so that may be why you don't see homers with low-mid range power guys - because they simply don't have the pop to get over the fences out there consistently. Swinging early is key to me hitting HR's with these kind of guys because I can pull the ball over a wall a shorter distance away from the plate. And being able to predict a pitch enough to swing that early and hammer it goes back to getting in hitters counts and waiting for a pitch that's right where you want it.

It's definitely possible to homer with those kind of guys, and even more so since they removed the effect of HR/9 in-game with a patch.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
OP - would you say that most of your HR's go to center field or the power alleys? If so that may be why you don't see homers with low-mid range power guys - because they simply don't have the pop to get over the fences out there consistently. Swinging early is key to me hitting HR's with these kind of guys because I can pull the ball over a wall a shorter distance away from the plate. And being able to predict a pitch enough to swing that early and hammer it goes back to getting in hitters counts and waiting for a pitch that's right where you want it.

It's definitely possible to homer with those kind of guys, and even more so since they removed the effect of HR/9 in-game with a patch.
Very good point.

I hit like 20 homeruns with Kolten Wong in my last full season and a majority of those were pulled to dead right field. A few power alley shots and he did hit an oppo taco or two, but a vast majority are pulled homeruns.

Same for all the lower level power hitting guys. Most of their homeruns come from pulled shots that line out of the ballpark. Occasionally they'll hit one in the alleys or dead center, but its few and far between.

I'd be curious to the OP's answer to where a majority of his homeruns are hit as an overall, because my personal experience would suggest to be more of the culprit than a designed discrepancy in power numbers.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #6
Rookie

MoneyMan17's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Very good point.

I hit like 20 homeruns with Kolten Wong in my last full season and a majority of those were pulled to dead right field. A few power alley shots and he did hit an oppo taco or two, but a vast majority are pulled homeruns.

Same for all the lower level power hitting guys. Most of their homeruns come from pulled shots that line out of the ballpark. Occasionally they'll hit one in the alleys or dead center, but its few and far between.

I'd be curious to the OP's answer to where a majority of his homeruns are hit as an overall, because my personal experience would suggest to be more of the culprit than a designed discrepancy in power numbers.
Most of my home runs are pulled. I don't see many home runs to center but will hit some oppo home runs with the big guys.

And I do use Armor's slider set and in general I don't have a problem with difficulty so it's not a skill thing. It could just be mental where I'm going into an at bat with a LeMahieu or a Tyler Wade or Austin Romine and will be thinking how they are weak hitters so I'll chase or be too aggressive and just overthink the at bat.

Overall I hit a realistic number of dingers as a team it just seems like they mostly come from Judge, Stanton, Sanchez, even Hicks. the proportion of homers between them and the weaker guys just seems a bit off
Old 12-09-2019, 10:38 PM   #7
ML
MVP

ML's Arena

OVR: 4

Maybe it’s your solid contact slider?

With D.J. I hit homeruns down the line in left or slapping the ball over the short porch. Whenever I feel like i really got all of one it’s either off the wall or just gets over the left center / right center wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 12-10-2019, 01:47 PM   #8
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Lower the two stolen base sliders to 5 and see how that goes.....

(I know...just trust me on this)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »