Home

HOF Shooting Badges and Badge Stacking Needs to Gooooo

This is a discussion on HOF Shooting Badges and Badge Stacking Needs to Gooooo within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-11-2019, 01:42 AM   #1
Banned

TheFgGoatLikesHawks's Arena

OVR: 0
HOF Shooting Badges and Badge Stacking Needs to Gooooo

These badges are killing any realism of the game (does 2K even care about that anymore though?) and completely change how the game is played - even in the 2K League, because they are the reason for trash 5 out 'basketball'. 5 out doesn't consistently exist in the REAL NBA because in the REAL NBA you don't have GODLIKE shooters everywhere. This is why help defenders are petrified to play help defense because if you play too much help D, the 3 guy will shoot 9 for 10 on 3's. Super realistic. Even once a generation talent like Curry doesn't hit that.

This has become a legacy issue. It's the reason we constantly see these trash squads play 5 out ('cause it's easy and God-forbid they actually have to learn any other basketball strategy) with the PG holding the ball 20 sec til he can trigger some animation. Fools these bums into thinking they have any skill, when actually it's the return of demigod shooters with this new archetype system (any player who has fast speed, elite handles, and elite shooting is overpowered), overpowered shooters, etc.

Also who's idea was it that "Unpluckable" should be a badge. Let's keep taking the skill out of the user's hands, and all you have to do is equip a badge to cover for you. Way to increase the skill gap 2K.

Then there's badge stacking. HOF Dimer + HOF Deadeye + HOF Catch & Shoot. Yeah that's hella realistic. When you stack these badges, it barely even matters what kind of defense is being played, contested or not. Oh wait, a defender closing out and contesting a shot is GOOD for the Deadeye Badge! What kind of azz-backwards logic is that? Only in 2K...

Fix your game 2K! How many years in a row smh.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #2
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: HOF Shooting Badges and Badge Stacking Needs to Gooooo

The most bizarre part is that badges actually raise the overall of a player. I found this out while creating a roster, but the more badges you add, the higher the overall of the player goes. Overall, of course, means little to nothing, but this fact seems to be indicative of how vital badges are to how well a player plays rather than relying solely on ratings as in the past.
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625
Old 12-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFgGoatLikesHawks
These badges are killing any realism of the game (does 2K even care about that anymore though?) and completely change how the game is played - even in the 2K League, because they are the reason for trash 5 out 'basketball'. 5 out doesn't consistently exist in the REAL NBA because in the REAL NBA you don't have GODLIKE shooters everywhere. This is why help defenders are petrified to play help defense because if you play too much help D, the 3 guy will shoot 9 for 10 on 3's. Super realistic. Even once a generation talent like Curry doesn't hit that.

This has become a legacy issue. It's the reason we constantly see these trash squads play 5 out ('cause it's easy and God-forbid they actually have to learn any other basketball strategy) with the PG holding the ball 20 sec til he can trigger some animation. Fools these bums into thinking they have any skill, when actually it's the return of demigod shooters with this new archetype system (any player who has fast speed, elite handles, and elite shooting is overpowered), overpowered shooters, etc.

Also who's idea was it that "Unpluckable" should be a badge. Let's keep taking the skill out of the user's hands, and all you have to do is equip a badge to cover for you. Way to increase the skill gap 2K.

Then there's badge stacking. HOF Dimer + HOF Deadeye + HOF Catch & Shoot. Yeah that's hella realistic. When you stack these badges, it barely even matters what kind of defense is being played, contested or not. Oh wait, a defender closing out and contesting a shot is GOOD for the Deadeye Badge! What kind of azz-backwards logic is that? Only in 2K...

Fix your game 2K! How many years in a row smh.

I'm not a big fan of the HOF level badges either. I think they're too powerful in a lot of cases and think Gold should be the highest tier of badges. However, from my understanding, a defender closing out and contesting your shot would not mean you are more likely to make the shot. You always have a better chance of making a wide open shot. The deadeye badge just reduces the normal penalty you would suffer for shooting a contested shot (when the defender closes out late). But you're still going to suffer more of a penalty than if you took an open shot. At least, that's my understanding for how the deadeye badge works.

Last edited by Pokes404; 12-11-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb625
The most bizarre part is that badges actually raise the overall of a player. I found this out while creating a roster, but the more badges you add, the higher the overall of the player goes. Overall, of course, means little to nothing, but this fact seems to be indicative of how vital badges are to how well a player plays rather than relying solely on ratings as in the past.
For real? I did not know that. Was it like that last year with badges increasing the overall?
Old 12-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
I'm not a big fan of the HOF level badges either. I think they're too powerful in a lot of cases and think Gold should be the highest tier of badges. However, from my understanding, a defender closing out and contesting your shot would not mean you are more likely to make the shot. You always have a better chance of making a wide open shot. The deadeye badge just reduces the normal penalty you would suffer for shooting a contested shot (when the defender closes out late). But you're still going to suffer more of a penalty than if you took an open shot. At least, that's my understanding for how the deadeye badge works.
That is true, but the shooter's probability has already been boosted before the defender got there. It's like having a base rating of 85, then badges boosts it to 97, and your defender's closeout drops it only to 96 due to the deadeye badge. That shooter still has a high chance of making that shot without an excellent release.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #6
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
For real? I did not know that. Was it like that last year with badges increasing the overall?
I said this early on lol No one believe me lol. They probably hide the ratings and just made them badges. Making badges very very important.

Last edited by jeebs9; 12-11-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
Rookie

BasketBalla21's Arena

MyPlayer modes are for E-Sports not realism. That's been made pretty clear for 2 years now. It's so similar to a MOBA now with how you can specialize your player. If it didn't take so long to make builds I could make some very fun builds based on real playstyles.

The E-Sport/MOBA feel that mode is going for values build specialization over realism so I doubt any overpowered offensive, defensive, or playmaking badges are going anywhere anytime soon.

REC, Pro-Am, and Park is going to have to go the way of sim leagues for a realism experience. Just like how Ranked Matches back in the day were full of the "win at all costs" mindset, MyCareer online modes are all about winning by any means.

On a lighter note, watching the pros play against each other can be hilarious. I don't know whether it's HOF deadeye or HOF steady shooter, but guys are greening contested 3s with 2 defenders(both having intimidator badges) in the area like it's nothing now. I only see the game becoming more "skill-based" like this.

Here's the vid of the contested 3s btw.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #8
Pro

This game will never be balanced imo.

2k should just Take out badges and remove archetypes. Let's get a basic 2k game where everybody is on an "even" playing field. I'd love to see what the complaints would be about if that happened.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »