Home

MLB The Show : Decade Edition

This is a discussion on MLB The Show : Decade Edition within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
ML
MVP

ML's Arena

OVR: 4
MLB The Show : Decade Edition

Hello All,

I know that there have been threads of this in the past, but I thought with the end of a decade coming in just a few hours, it would be neat to have a place where everything is condensed from '10 to '19.

*This is mostly going to be a dump of videos / clips / etc. Feel free to add some more below! I will try to keep the OP updated if any videos / summaries / etc is added in replies.

Without further ado, let's Play Ball!

MLB 10 The Show

Cover Athlete: Joe Mauer

Release Date: March 2, 2010

Platforms: PS3, PS2, PSP

Notable Additions/Improvements: Building off of the past two years, pickoffs were reworked, and there was more focus on the pitcher batter duel.

IGN Score: 8.9/10

MLB '10: The Show gets many of the details right to the point that this is easily the most realistic console baseball game I've ever played. -IGN

Review: https://www.ign.com/articles/2010/03...he-show-review

Reception: The PlayStation 3 version received "universal acclaim", while the PSP version received "generally favorable reviews", according to the review aggregation website Metacritic. The PlayStation 2 version of the game sold almost 200,000 copies.

Trailers:

Gameplay:

MLB 11 The Show

Cover Athlete: Joe Mauer

Release Date: March 8, 2011

Platforms: PS3, PS2, PSP

Notable Additions/Improvements: Pure Analog Control System, CO-OP Mode, Improved RTTS, Improved Fielding, Eric Karros!

IGN Score: 8/10

MLB 11: The Show takes some big strides to improve the gameplay and largely succeeds. Fielding matters now and the new analog controls for pitching and hitting are fun. The lack of major improvements to Franchise and Road to the Show are disappointing, but The Show remains the best baseball game in town. If you've been waiting for someone to take you out to the ballgame, wait no longer. MLB 11: The Show is here. -IGN

Review: https://www.ign.com/articles/2011/03...he-show-review

Reception: The PlayStation 3 version received "universal acclaim", while the PlayStation 2 and PSP versions received "generally favorable reviews", according to the review aggregation website Metacritic.

GameZone said of the PS3 version: "The barrier to entry may be a little high for newer baseball sim gamers, but with a little persistence and plenty of practice, you’ll find yourself in love with MLB 11: The Show.

Trailers:

Gameplay:

MLB 12 The Show

Cover Athlete: Adrian Gonzalez (USA), Jose Bautista (Canada)

Release Date: March 6, 2012

Platforms: PS3, PS Vita

Notable Additions/Improvements: New Ball Physics, Pulse Pitching, Diamond Dynasty

IGN Score: 8.5/10

MLB 12: The Show continues the legacy of being the best baseball game on the market. The best looking, the best playing, the most realistic, and the most robust. It’d be nice if San Diego Studios could get their presentation up to par with MLB 2K. Modes like Diamond Dynasty breathe some life into the game, distracting players from the more dated feeling Road to the Show. If you love baseball, The Show is made for you. -IGN

Review: https://www.ign.com/articles/2012/03...he-show-review

Reception: The game received "generally favorable reviews" on both platforms according to the review aggregation website Metacritic.

Trailers:

Gameplay:

MLB 13 The Show

Cover Athlete: Andrew McCutchen (USA), Jose Bautista (Canada), Wei-Yen Chen (Taiwan)

Release Date: March 5, 2013

Platforms: PS3, PS Vita

Notable Additions/Improvements: Postseason Mode, Push/pull hitting trajectories engine, new RTTS presentation, improved player dev + budgeting systems in season and franchise modes, fielding throwing meters, plus a ton of online features

IGN Score: 8.8/10

MLB 13: The Show is another winner in a series that’s easily the best baseball sim since EA’s since-shuttered MVP Baseball line. To be clear, MLB 13 suffers from the same feature crawl that many annual sports franchises do, meaning it’s largely similar to last year’s iteration with a player roster update. But the Road to the Show improvements, The Show Live mode, and the fielder’s throwing meter make this a worthy upgrade from MLB 12. The inevitable PlayStation 4 edition of this franchise next year will offer an exciting opportunity for Sony to do some serious innovation this excellent yet predictable series, but in the meantime, MLB 13 keeps The Show’s winning streak alive. -IGN

Review: https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03...he-show-review

Reception: Sports Illustrated gave the PS3 version a score of nine out of ten and said that it was "consistently successful because it's loaded with options that allow you to play the brand of baseball you want, and at a skill level you can handle."[ Toronto Sun gave it a similar score of four-and-a-half stars out of five and said that it "pulls no squeeze plays on quality and realism when it comes to the game of baseball." The Digital Fix gave it a score of eight out of ten and said, "For those unfamiliar with baseball MLB 13: The Show is probably a curiosity at most. The fact that the game is also PlayStation exclusive further segregates its European audience so that it occupies a limited niche at best. Still, for those looking for a baseball game there is nothing better on the market.

Trailers:

Gameplay:

MLB 14 The Show

Cover Athlete:Miguel Cabrera (USA), Brett Lawrie (Canada), Shin-soo Choo (Korea), Wei-Yin Chen (Taiwan)

Release Date: April 1, 2014 (PS3/Vita) | May 6, 2014 (PS4)

Platforms: PS4, PS3, PS Vita

Notable Additions/Improvements: *First Gen PS4, with new graphics, presentation, etc.*, Revamped RTTS, Online Franchise, Cross-play from PS console + PS Vita

IGN Score: 8.1/10

And those are the SportsCenter highlights. MLB 14 again offers rock-solid pitching, hitting, and fielding mechanics – and multiple choices for each one. This is, yet again, a stellar baseball simulation that’s packed with enough quality game modes to occupy and entertain me for the entire season, but there are few exciting new features, and online is currently a very laggy experience. -IGN

Review: https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04...he-show-review

Reception: Ryan McCaffrey of IGN gave the game an 8.1/10, saying it was "yet again, a stellar baseball simulation that's packed with enough quality game modes to occupy and entertain me for the entire season, but there are few exciting new features, and online is currently a very laggy experience. The PlayStation 4 version of the game became the fastest-selling entry in the series to date within the first week of the game's release on the platform.

Trailers:

Gameplay:

MLB 15 The Show

Cover Athlete: Yasiel Puig (USA), Russell Martin (Canada), Shin-soo Choo (Korea), Wei-Yin Chen (Taiwan)

Release Date: March 31, 2015

Platforms: PS4, PS3, PS Vita

Notable Additions/Improvements: Licensed equipment, Year to Year Saves, Universal Rewards

MLB 15: The Show is an excellent and complete package with lots of different ways to experience baseball in all its glory. But it’s a very familiar complete package. Other than functional online play, there’s nothing revolutionary about this year’s version. It does get to legitimately say that it looks and plays better than any other baseball game you can buy right now, but only slightly -IGN

Review: https://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04...he-show-review

Reception: MLB 15: The Show received "generally favorable" reviews upon release. The PlayStation 4 version of the game received an aggregated score of 81% on GameRankings based on 29 reviews and 80/100 on Metacritic based on 37 reviews. The PlayStation Vita version holds a 71% score on GameRankings

Trailers:

Gameplay:

MLB 16 The Show

Cover Athlete: Josh Donaldson (USA/Canada) , Jung-ho Kang (Korea), Wei-Yin Chen (Taiwan)

Release Date: March 29, 2016

Platforms: PS4, PS3

Notable Additions/Improvements: Conquest Mode, Battle Royale, ShowTime, Camera Views (Specifically Fish Eye), New and improved Franchise Mode, Improved RTTS

IGN Score: 9.3/10 (This is the highest rated version of the game since the beginning of the decade)

Simply put, MLB The Show 16 is the best baseball game available on any current-gen console. It looks, plays, and feels amazing, offering many ways to play the great American pastime. Franchise and Road to the Show modes have made incremental but impressive improvements, while Diamond Dynasty offers entirely new ways to play. Not every mode works, but it’s encouraging to see such a radical new mix of gameplay. -IGN

Review: https://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04...show-16-review

Trailers:

Gameplay:

MLB 17 The Show

Cover Athlete: Ken Griffey Jr. (USA), Aaron Sanchez (Canda) , Hyun-soo Kim (Korea), Wei-Yin Chen (Taiwan)

Release Date: March 28, 2017

Platforms: PS4,

Notable Additions/Improvements: "Pave Your Path" RTTS, Lighting, Animations, Retro Mode, MLB Network, New Broadcast booth, Critical Situations, Gameplay and Animation Improvements

IGN Score: 9.5/10 (This now takes the throne as highest rated version of MLBTS this decade)

Overall, MLB The Show 17 builds on last year’s version, which many cited as the best in the series, by adding some key features and improvements. Most notable are increased hit variety, MLB Network integration, and the RTTS documentary. All of these additions make the game feel more like real baseball. This authenticity makes games more fun to play, as it’s easier than ever to become invested in every pitch. -IGN

Review: https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03...show-17-review

Trailers: *THIS INTRO IS DEEMED MUST WATCH - THIS WILL GIVE YOU GOOSEBUMPS!!!*

Gameplay:

MLB 18 The Show

Cover Athlete: Aaron Judge (USA), Marcus Strowman (Canada)

Release Date: March 27, 2018

Platforms: PS4

Notable Additions/Improvements: Improved UI, New RTTS Storyline, generic improvements, Hitting, Ball Physics

The strength of the MLB The Show series has always been its authentic gameplay, which traditionally does a fantastic job capturing the essence of baseball. The 2018 version of The Show continues that trend, creating the most realistic baseball game to date. However, the nuanced gameplay and visual changes don’t quite make up for the lack of innovation – or removal – of MLB The Show’s core modes. -IGN

Review: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03...show-18-review

Trailers:

Gameplay:

MLB 19 The Show

Cover Athlete: Bryce Harper

Release Date: March 26, 2019

Platforms: PS4

Notable Additions/Improvements: Moments, March to October, RTTS revamp, presentation,

IGN Score: 8.7/10

MLB The Show 19 continues the series’ slow march of progress, though with a bigger step this year than last. Moments and March to October offer fresh ways to experience the outstanding gameplay, complete with the refinements on the defensive side of the ball. By integrating overt RPG mechanics into the player progression, Road to the Show has evolved into one of the deepest sports career modes currently available, even if it feels like less of a true-to-life simulation as a result. MLB The Show 19’s refreshed looks and sound closely replicates real MLB games on TV, thanks to some nice camera angles and graphical touches that emulate broadcasting. The biggest disappointment is Franchise, which continues to be the mode that’s left behind. Overall, this is the most compelling version since The Show 12 initially added Diamond Dynasty mode.. -IGN

Review: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03...he-show-review

Trailers:

Gameplay:

Cheers to a decade of MLB The Show gaming and the OS community that has put hours upon hours into playing, editing, creating, sharing, discussing, and critiquing this series. It would not be as enjoyable without all of you. Here's to another decade of MLB gaming!

Last edited by ML; 01-01-2020 at 02:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
ML
MVP

ML's Arena

Re: MLB The Show : Decade Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLamm
This is my favorite intro of all time. I can watch this any time, any day of the week and it still gives me goosebumps. So many memories and emotions built into this one - the TS team really knocked it out of the park with this intro.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:16 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

favorite Show soundtrack song 10-19: Big Data Dangerous takes the Gold medal. Silver medal - Safari Song by Greta Van Fleet. Bronze to Classic Man, Kendrick Lamar

A Work in Progress
Old 12-31-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

I agree the best into was MLB 17's. Also MLB 13's was really good as well. I liked MLB 14's on the PS4.

Last edited by ShowTyme15; 12-31-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:05 AM   #5
Bacon's Fictional Roster

bacon96's Arena

OVR: 0

Best intro imo was MLB 13. Loved that entire intro but never owned the game until much later on. It was the only one I skipped and I don't think I'll ever again.

Join my Discord Server!

#BaseballisBetter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2020, 02:29 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Worth mentioning that (even though it's the current game and most here are already aware) MLB 19's intros have been seasonal - the Spring one posted above was the first. Here are the other 3.

Summer:

Fall:

Winter (my personal favorite of the 4, ironically):

Old 01-01-2020, 02:17 PM   #7
ML
MVP

ML's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Worth mentioning that (even though it's the current game and most here are already aware) MLB 19's intros have been seasonal - the Spring one posted above was the first. Here are the other 3.

Summer:

Fall:

Winter (my personal favorite of the 4, ironically):

I've added these to the OP. I actually like all of them, but I wish there was an option to shuffle which intro you get, just to mix it up a bit.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:59 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

my favorite intro in 19 was the default spring opening with the fall opener a close cigar. love the shot of the mooning fading into a baseball, then that oh so brief second where the ball is seemingly frozen in time ... until ... BAM! when the fielder breaks in to pick up the ball ... that brief pause builds so much towards the intensity that quickly follows.

as for the recent past, not a dodger fan by any stretch but hearing the masterful delivery of ''time for Dodger baseball'' by Vin Scully in 17 is absolutely haunting. Visually 14 is also great, moving individually across each MLB stadium.

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »