Home

Man Coverage

This is a discussion on Man Coverage within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2020, 10:49 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Man Coverage

I’m frustrated. I have Chris Harris Jr as well as Kendall Fuller in my CFM. Granted Harris JR is 33 but he’s still an Superstar X Factor and Kendall Fuller MCV Is 91... yet i am consistently getting torched by WRs that aren’t even good. Does anybody know what I’m doing wrong? And I’m not a MCV schemer neither. I go to it when necessary. Down and Distance, situational.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Man Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSonTL
I’m frustrated. I have Chris Harris Jr as well as Kendall Fuller in my CFM. Granted Harris JR is 33 but he’s still an Superstar X Factor and Kendall Fuller MCV Is 91... yet i am consistently getting torched by WRs that aren’t even good. Does anybody know what I’m doing wrong? And I’m not a MCV schemer neither. I go to it when necessary. Down and Distance, situational.

Do you ever press your corners? Or do you run mostly off man coverage? I’ve found that off man coverage is terrible this year unless you have a dominant front 4 that can get to the QB very quickly. Press man seems the way to go, but when facing better WRs you better have CBs with higher press ratings or you’ll get torched. Though even press man relies on your defensive front’s ability to get to the QB but it should give them a little more time to get there as long as your CBs have a decent press rating.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
MVP

Quote:

Man coverage has been hit or miss for me, yet that's the way it goes in the NFL as well. Based on my experience, I would suggest you steer clear of off-man coverage and be sure to press your corners pre-snap. Then, if you have safety help over the top, play both outside shade and underneath leverage. If you have a zero blitz called with no safety help, be sure to shade outside and over-the-top. Outside shading helps protect you from those quick outside release routes, although this is not foolproof. Give that a try in practice mode and see if these suggestions work or you.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #4
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

You running a defensive scheme with corners set to zone or slot?

Old 01-09-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosum13
Do you ever press your corners? Or do you run mostly off man coverage? I’ve found that off man coverage is terrible this year unless you have a dominant front 4 that can get to the QB very quickly. Press man seems the way to go, but when facing better WRs you better have CBs with higher press ratings or you’ll get torched. Though even press man relies on your defensive front’s ability to get to the QB but it should give them a little more time to get there as long as your CBs have a decent press rating.

I always go press man. I run I 4-3.. i predominantly play 4-3 Normal and then move to Dime 4-3 when it’s a passing down. My front 4 is fairly decent. ESP wen I throw my 4 DE package out there in Dime.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2020, 12:51 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice
Man coverage has been hit or miss for me, yet that's the way it goes in the NFL as well. Based on my experience, I would suggest you steer clear of off-man coverage and be sure to press your corners pre-snap. Then, if you have safety help over the top, play both outside shade and underneath leverage. If you have a zero blitz called with no safety help, be sure to shade outside and over-the-top. Outside shading helps protect you from those quick outside release routes, although this is not foolproof. Give that a try in practice mode and see if these suggestions work or you.

Never play off man. I prefer not to. I run basically cover 5 in passing downs. Depending on down and distance. So I shade inside because I got the safeties splitting. I go outside shade when I run Cover 1 which is rare but again down and distance.

Old 01-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
You running a defensive scheme with corners set to zone or slot?

I run a cover 4 based scheme. All 2 high looks. So I throw some 2,4,6 in. As well as 9. So honestly I don’t focus on really the TYPE of corner. If he’s a better man package.. I use him for my dime package which is basically man.. if he’s good at zone he plays on zone downs. If that makes sense.

Old 01-09-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
I run a cover 4 based scheme. All 2 high looks. So I throw some 2,4,6 in. As well as 9. So honestly I don’t focus on really the TYPE of corner. If he’s a better man package.. I use him for my dime package which is basically man.. if he’s good at zone he plays on zone downs. If that makes sense.

Doesn't answer my question; allow me to clarify. What defensive scheme are you running (i.e. what scheme is your coach set for)?

If you're running something like a 43 Quarters scheme (where CBs are Zone), it's been my observation that the CB tendency will be to use a more zonal look in coverage (even in M2M plays). It doesn't necessarily make them "worse" in Man, but it seems to alter how they cover the receivers a bit.

If the Man coverage is really bugging you, you might want to play around with the coach schemes a bit and see if you can find a better balance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »