Home

The Best Sports Game of 2019: MLB The Show 19

This is a discussion on The Best Sports Game of 2019: MLB The Show 19 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
The Best Sports Game of 2019: MLB The Show 19

The Best Sports Game of 2019 is MLB The Show 19. There was little to no...

Written By: Chase Becotte

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #2
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Best Sports Game of 2019: MLB The Show 19

Gameplay wise.... yes. But unless your into DD this has become one of the shallowest titles with not much to do. Franchise hasn’t improved or added anything in almost five years. This is the first year I have started skipping yearly titles I haven’t skipped in 20 plus years, and honestly it’s liberating. I have been buying the show every year since ‘06 (mvp before that). But with Ridin taking a step back from doing the full minors and the minimal improvements to Franchise the last few years, I am less then optimistic for this year
Old 01-10-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Hands-down agree that this game is the best overall sports package out there; having already (correctly) won for the best player career mode, and card collecting mode.

It doesn't have the best franchise mode on the menu side, but when you combine the whole package (gameplay, presentation, and menu mode stuff), it is the most complete franchise mode out there. Other franchise modes (2k, NHL, Madden) suffer greatly due to sub-standard gameplay (i.e. gameplay geared around the H2H crowd) and/or non franchise-centered presentation and come nowhere close to competing with MLB. Unless you're one of those people who just like simming a lot (in which case, why on Earth aren't you playing OOTP?), I don't think it's that difficult of a choice.

By time MLB 20 launches, I'm guessing I will have put anywhere between 800-1000 hours into the game and I've been ramping-UP my MLB time.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:17 PM   #4
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
Gameplay wise.... yes. But unless your into DD this has become one of the shallowest titles with not much to do. Franchise hasn’t improved or added anything in almost five years. This is the first year I have started skipping yearly titles I haven’t skipped in 20 plus years, and honestly it’s liberating. I have been buying the show every year since ‘06 (mvp before that). But with Ridin taking a step back from doing the full minors and the minimal improvements to Franchise the last few years, I am less then optimistic for this year

I actually quit buying MLBTS 2 yrs ago because of this. Franchise mode is all I care about, and unless Im missed something, Franchise mode is almost the same as it was on the PS3, actually it has less, because the PS3 had more Spring Training ball parks.

I have went the OOTP route, although I do miss actually playing baseball, where I have some control over whether each pitch and each at bat is a success or failure, but from a management side of things, and getting quality stats in Franchise, you cant beat OOTP. I would never expect a console game, to be as deep in the management side of things, as OOTP, and while I do miss playing MLBTS, as the 1 thing you can count on with MLBTS each yr, is things working as intended, unlike with Madden and NBA2k.
Im hoping once the new consoles, that there is enough power in those new consoles, for the MLBTS devs too take Franchise mode to new heights. As it is now, I feel they have gone the same route as these other sports games, and its all about online play and fantasy gimic modes. So unless MLBTS20 has had major upgrades to Franchise mode, I will likely just wait to see what the game is like once the new consoles come out.

There is a chance, due to how all the sports video games have gone the route of gimic fantasy modes and all about online play, and Franchise mode being a afterthought that my console gaming days may be over. Hoping these companies see the worst trends in sports games on here, and take it to heart, and get a renewed focus on Franchise modes, because all 3 major sports, that I play, basketball, baseball and football, have really dropped the ball on Franchise mode, in Maddens case its been probably better than a decade since Franchise was any good,lol.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 01-10-2020, 04:36 PM   #5
MVP

tnixen's Arena

Gameplay,Stadiums,Ball Physics and overall graphics the best for sure!!!

Everything else not so sure about being the best.

MLB The Show 19 is the best baseball video game to date in my opinion but it still has a LONG way to go to be a perfect 10!

Based on what I expect from current end of this gen and heading into next gen I would rate MLB The Show 19 a very good solid 6 out of 10!

Last edited by tnixen; 01-10-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #6
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
I'm only a casual baseball fan but personally I love Road to the Show. It's MUCH better than NBA 2K's career mode and I'm a big basketball guy. Gameplay is just really solid too imo.*
Old 01-10-2020, 06:18 PM   #7
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626

I love RTTS and Franchise mode but they do only improve minimally. I decided after The Show 18 to skip 19 and wait for The Show to be on the PS5. And even then, probably won't get it until the 2nd year on the PS5 because sports games never do much in that first year. So sheesh, I'll probably hop back in The Show 22...
Old 01-10-2020, 07:50 PM   #8
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Easy choice. It best represents the sport it is trying to among all the major sports games.

I play this game year round. 19 is so good too. Everytime I it down to play it....I have a wonderful time. No other sports game does what The Show can for me in terms of playing smooth, having a great and deep franchise and being totally invested into my team.

And for those not taking advantage of Sounds of The Show you are missing out on probably one of the most immersive features in terms of presentation. It adds a massive layer of feeling like you are at the ball park (batter walkups, vendor yells, team chants, stadium sounds specific to that team etc) and watching a game on TV with between innings theme music, whether that is regional sports broadcasts (Fox Spots, Yes Network etc) or a major network broadcast (ESPN, FOX Baseball, TBS etc).
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »