Home

Playmaking Safeties

This is a discussion on Playmaking Safeties within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-22-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 3
Playmaking Safeties

Has anyone figured out how to get their safeties to make more impact plays. I have Jamal Adams who is a 95 and a awesome blitzer and I cant get him a sack at all. Whether I blitz him or not its impossible for him to get there in time
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Playmaking Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by niftyjets
Has anyone figured out how to get their safeties to make more impact plays. I have Jamal Adams who is a 95 and a awesome blitzer and I cant get him a sack at all. Whether I blitz him or not its impossible for him to get there in time

Yeah, it can be tough to get them in there. I’ve got Keanu Neal, and he’s got some X-factor stuff and just a wicked hitter. I def run some safety blitzes from time to time. The one I like the most is a 4-3 over safety blitz. This tends to stop running atttempts as well, and he can often hit stick the ball carrier for a fumble. U can also simply play a little more cover 1. This will put the SS closer to the line of scrimmage.

On zone plays, u can actually sort of force passes towards your safety as well. I almost always play mlb in nickel. While I usually play cover 3 and play my assignment, from time to time, I will sort of play loose on one side to force the pass to the wr or TE who’s route is leading him to Neal. I believe this is sort of how cover 3 works, anyways. You’re trying to force the offense towards your heavy hitting S. They mention this when talking about dan Quinn and the old legion of boom with Chancelor. And, now, on atl, with Neal being the enforcer. Although, irl, he’s always in the hospital, unfortunately. Lol.

But yeah, I think simply playing cover 1 a little more often can often bring your SS closer to the LOS and on any given play, you’ll see him making more plays.

In terms of getting sacks on blitzes, that’s def hit or miss. And, blitzing our of the safety position often is a little slower getting there. So, u may not see as many sacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2020, 11:31 AM   #3
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

I’d say the most important thing is to kinda make your own plays. The cpu knows exactly what you’re doing when you call you play. I tend to manually switch my guys assignments pre play so the offense doesn’t know what’s coming.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Yeah, it can be tough to get them in there. I’ve got Keanu Neal, and he’s got some X-factor stuff and just a wicked hitter. I def run some safety blitzes from time to time. The one I like the most is a 4-3 over safety blitz. This tends to stop running atttempts as well, and he can often hit stick the ball carrier for a fumble. U can also simply play a little more cover 1. This will put the SS closer to the line of scrimmage.

On zone plays, u can actually sort of force passes towards your safety as well. I almost always play mlb in nickel. While I usually play cover 3 and play my assignment, from time to time, I will sort of play loose on one side to force the pass to the wr or TE who’s route is leading him to Neal. I believe this is sort of how cover 3 works, anyways. You’re trying to force the offense towards your heavy hitting S. They mention this when talking about dan Quinn and the old legion of boom with Chancelor. And, now, on atl, with Neal being the enforcer. Although, irl, he’s always in the hospital, unfortunately. Lol.

But yeah, I think simply playing cover 1 a little more often can often bring your SS closer to the LOS and on any given play, you’ll see him making more plays.

In terms of getting sacks on blitzes, that’s def hit or miss. And, blitzing our of the safety position often is a little slower getting there. So, u may not see as many sacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have Neal and put him in the SubLB 2 spot. I'd do the same with Adams. Maybe even the one spot if you don't have anyone there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
Rookie

I'll be honest - I've been thinking the exact opposite.

I'm in the fifth year of a Chargers franchise, and Derwin James is bordering on game-breaking. Played the season opener yesterday, and he forced five fumbles. And that was before I pulled him midway through the third quarter. Single-handedly turned what would have been a close game (Lamar & co. pretty well matched me in terms of yards) into a laugher.

I find the number of fumbles forced by regular players to be reasonably accurate - but James is just way overpowered. To the extent that I'm thinking of trading him (to someone in the NFC!) because having him is too much of an unfair advantage......
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #6
Rookie

I have an Xfactor rookie safety with good coverage that I use as my slot corner as well just to move him around and get him closer to the action.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:16 AM   #7
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonesta78
I'll be honest - I've been thinking the exact opposite.

I'm in the fifth year of a Chargers franchise, and Derwin James is bordering on game-breaking. Played the season opener yesterday, and he forced five fumbles. And that was before I pulled him midway through the third quarter. Single-handedly turned what would have been a close game (Lamar & co. pretty well matched me in terms of yards) into a laugher.

I find the number of fumbles forced by regular players to be reasonably accurate - but James is just way overpowered. To the extent that I'm thinking of trading him (to someone in the NFC!) because having him is too much of an unfair advantage......
Yea but that’s a different situation, you’re talking about probably the most overpowered ability in the game Enforcer. At least I believe he has enforcer, but I could be wrong. In my online league guys like Keanu Neal force like 20 fumbles a season, it’s stupid that it’s almost an automatic fumble when you get hit sticked by an enforcer.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #8
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

When you figure it out let me know, in my online league I drafted a superstar dev FS with decent athletic attributes. He has like 88 or 89 spd and 90 something accel with decent hit power at almost 80 and is the zone coverage archetype. I can’t seem to get him involved in plays and he’s been getting consistently beat in coverage by even average TEs with only ok athletic stats.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »