Home

This entire console generation the meta has been unrealistic game exploits.

This is a discussion on This entire console generation the meta has been unrealistic game exploits. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2020, 11:22 PM   #1
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

OVR: 0
This entire console generation the meta has been unrealistic game exploits.

2k14- left stick side to side (nerfed).
2k15- behind the back (nerfed) then the demi-god glitch (never nerfed)
2k16- OP dribble escapes(nerfed)
2k17- limitless range HOF (somewhat nerfed) brick wall fall downs (nerfed) hopstep jumpers (nerfed)
2k18- stepback cheese by everyone, unrealistic blow byes, complete lack of defense (never nerfed) and even tho i played an athletic C the inside scoring was absurdly efficient. (Not nerfed till 2k19)
2k19- passing lane steals (somewhat nerfed but is still way too OP even in 2k20) OP defense all around. LDDs reigned supreme. They could shoot 3s, dunk, dribble, post fade, all with 60 ratings.

Aaaand 2k20....

Recently patched behind the back was welcome. But now these badges they have in the game just shifted the blame elsewhere. I've documented how worthless pick dodger is. I've made threads on bump steals and passing lanes.

How to win in 2k on the highest levels of online play:

1. Get yourself a dribble god that can shoot greens and dunk on 7'3 centers. Defense be damned.
2. Get a glass cleaning center with HOF brick wall that can roll and shoot threes.
3. Post shooters in both corners that don't move. Literally STANDING there waiting to shoot a green if anyone doubles the PG.
4. Play a 2-3 zone on defense where your ratings don't matter. Oh you created a purely offensive character and have no defensive badges? That's fine. Guard the passing lane to the corner and just wait to cut off any back doors or corner 3s. Oh, you made a Rebounding Wing? No reason you should play the 4. You can press the ball handler with your middling defensive ratings and just hope the PG throws a pass before he gets up court that's picked off.

It's just so... Gross. I've told my friends that I'm not playing team pro-am anymore because once you get to a high enough level they're all the same. There is no ingenuity. There's no "Skill" involved at all. If you're hiding behind a screen running left to right with the left stick and then greening when you get a favorable screen animation, how is that skill?

This new generation REALLY needs to watch real ball.

Ball movement is key on elite squads. Help Defense is a real thing. It shouldn't be non existent just because players won't move or rotate for 23 seconds of the shot clock.

Transition buckets in the NBA are tough to produce. Zone defense is not very effective. You need wings who can switch everything. You need bigs who can guard smalls.

It's just disgusting really.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2020, 03:13 AM   #2
Banned

Re: This entire console generation the meta has been unrealistic game exploits.

This is why i quit playing rec center. I only played like 40 total games this year. The past previous years, i played over 600 games and in this game, i just had enough. Tired of going against the same old team doing exploits.

There needs to be something seriously done with the Jordan rec matchmaking. For the last 5 years of 2k, its always the same walk in and get matched up against a bunch of 5v5 cheesers who are too scared to face real Pro-am comp so they have to go to pub stomp public walk in. It just doesnt make sense. Just have 1 door for SOLO WALK ON ONLY and another door for regular random 5v5. Like how hard is it to do that?? Its a freaking basketball game so simple, Yet so complicating for these devs.

Instead you get stupid dodgeball and jumping on trampoline basketball like wtf??!?!? Just focus on the main area of the game.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:56 AM   #3
MVP

Yeah, my concern isn't strictly match making either. You win some and you lose some even with a full squad. My concern is mainly that the way to dominate is so far from real basketball it's offensive. I want anyone to go play a pick up game at the gym and tell your teammates to just go stand in the corner all game. For your big man to set you a million screens in a game. Sometimes 6-7 screens in one possession.

I just met a group of guys in Rec, they were pretty cool. They had a big, 3 shooters and had me running PG. First game i was on my 2 guard who doesn't have Dimer or any HOF playmaking badges. I was getting out on the break and getting good looks the first game so they sent me a friend request. I joined their party and told them i had a defensive PG with HOF dimer. So we went back in and started blowing teams out.

The one game we lost? Of course it was a slashing/shooting/dribbling guard getting a pick every possession. I have HOF pick dodger and was at least able to slow him down on the 3s. But what happens is he starts getting smart and recognized he can start getting to the basket at will. Because i was hung on the screen just enough, and even with our big hanging back, the guy was quick enough to get decent looks at the rim.

I'm not saying that screens shouldn't be effective. Even the best defenders can't go THROUGH someone's body. But if a big was setting 6-7 screens every possession and I'm knocking him in his ribs trying to get around him, he's going to get gassed. If they're going to drain my entire stamina bar with one pick (even with Gym Rat, gatorade boosts AND HOF tireless defender) there needs to be some checks and balances.

If not calling more moving screens, the entire pick and roll interaction needs to be revamped. Too many times you see the pick coming and compensate by hedging, but it sucks you underneath the pick. NO! I deliberately wanted to go OVER the screen.

I held him under 50 percent shooting but it wasn't enough.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
Yeah, my concern isn't strictly match making either. You win some and you lose some even with a full squad. My concern is mainly that the way to dominate is so far from real basketball it's offensive. I want anyone to go play a pick up game at the gym and tell your teammates to just go stand in the corner all game. For your big man to set you a million screens in a game. Sometimes 6-7 screens in one possession.

I just met a group of guys in Rec, they were pretty cool. They had a big, 3 shooters and had me running PG. First game i was on my 2 guard who doesn't have Dimer or any HOF playmaking badges. I was getting out on the break and getting good looks the first game so they sent me a friend request. I joined their party and told them i had a defensive PG with HOF dimer. So we went back in and started blowing teams out.

The one game we lost? Of course it was a slashing/shooting/dribbling guard getting a pick every possession. I have HOF pick dodger and was at least able to slow him down on the 3s. But what happens is he starts getting smart and recognized he can start getting to the basket at will. Because i was hung on the screen just enough, and even with our big hanging back, the guy was quick enough to get decent looks at the rim.

I'm not saying that screens shouldn't be effective. Even the best defenders can't go THROUGH someone's body. But if a big was setting 6-7 screens every possession and I'm knocking him in his ribs trying to get around him, he's going to get gassed. If they're going to drain my entire stamina bar with one pick (even with Gym Rat, gatorade boosts AND HOF tireless defender) there needs to be some checks and balances.

If not calling more moving screens, the entire pick and roll interaction needs to be revamped. Too many times you see the pick coming and compensate by hedging, but it sucks you underneath the pick. NO! I deliberately wanted to go OVER the screen.

I held him under 50 percent shooting but it wasn't enough.
So you was running a full 5 in JRC, something you've made countless post complaining about? Lol.

I can't knock you but the dribble god wave is hurting right now so that whole label needs to go. There's a select few out there that can combo but majority of these so called dribble gods just spam the BTB the entire game before the nerf. Screens are a huge issues and definitely needs to be tweaked whether its this year or next year. Pick Dodger doesn't do anything at all against it. I won't knock people who have shooters on their team because you're in for a long game if you can't space the floor. It's unfortunate that everybody is running 4 out 1 in and 2-3 zone but it's the most effective offense and defense in the game right now. Until archetypes are gone much won't change.

Last edited by Korrupted; 01-27-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:21 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korrupted
So you pretty was running a full 5 in JRC, something you've made countless post complaining about? Lol.

I can't knock you but the dribble god wave is hurting right now so that whole label needs to go. There's a select few out there that can combo but majority of these so called dribble gods just spam the BTB the entire game before the nerf. Screens are a huge issues and definitely needs to be tweaked whether its this year or next year. Pick Dodger doesn't do anything at all against it. I won't knock people who have shooters on their team because you're in for a long game if you can't space the floor. It's unfortunate that everybody is running 4 out 1 in and 2-3 zone but it's the most effective offense and defense in the game right now. Until archetypes are gone much won't change.
I have never stated I'm against running with a full 5. I do it quite frequently. Case in point, the team i met last night needed a PG. They lucked up and found a decent one. Even tho i wasn't on my PG the first game, i made enough of an impression to garner a friend request. You should absolutely be able to run rec solo or otherwise. Before that first game with that new squad, i ran with the same team twice and won both. I had loaded in with a group of 3, we picked up one the first game. They started the game only passing to the PG, the 4 and the C. But after knocking down a few shots in transition they started looking for me. I ended up leading the first game in scoring. Next game they started playing the same way as they started on the 1st. Clearly only passing to their friends. They started getting doubled and missing, so i got more looks as the game went on.

Running with randoms is typically frustrating because most people WON'T make adjustments. They'll keep throwing up terrible shots, quit, and blame 2k. Never analyzing their own bad habits and how to improve. And Lord knows if they DO pass, and you miss, then it doesn't matter how many bad shots THEY take, it's YOUR fault they lost.

I'm not mad about 4-1 offense. I'm not mad about 2-3 defense. I've ran both exclusively in team all year with my squad. What I'm mad about is that you HAVE to play like that.

I would think that IRL a team of Prime Jordan, Shaq, Kobe(R.I.P.), Wilt, and Magic would OBLITERATE a team comprised of the best shooters in the league 1-5.

If you gave me Steph, Klay, Joe Harris, KAT, and Brook Lopez (i just rattled good shooters off) i wouldn't DARE have my squad step foot on the court against that team of Legends. In this league, or the era of handchecking.

Point is... A team full of elite slashers with good defense and middling 3s with the good IQ doesn't stand a chance against ONE good ball handler and 3 ELITE shooters regardless of anyone's defensive capabilities ratings or badge wise.

The reason they play like that is PURELY because it's next to impossible to defend and VERY easy to get good at.

The reason we DON'T have 3 cones is because our team can beat most GOOD teams with smart play and good defense. We run a 2-3 but have 2 slashers who CAN hit, not elite, 2 GREAT shooters, and a rotating cast of bigs who can shoot and grab boards.

The reason i stopped playing team is because i REFUSE to be a cone. My best player can shoot open, but I'm hardly knockdown. I think I'm close to .40 percent with a SIXTY FIVE three rating. Gold Quick Draw and bronze range extender.

But I'm much better at hitting one or two, then using my speed to blow past when they close out. If they run a zone and someone is in my vicinity, I'm cutting rather than pulling.

You look at the Bucks and the Warriors the last few years. They run 5 out a lot, but NO ONE has 3 players standing in the same spots all game, never rotating, while one player holds the ball all game.

The Rockets are the closest thing to that style, and look how many championships they have.

CP3 is one of the best playmakers in the game and he left because he didn't care to play off-ball even tho he was efficient that way.

But even "off-ball" play in the NBA will have you setting screens, rotating, and even cutting when your not a "slasher".

There are ball dominant players in the league. But they would be run ragged if EVERY play they're pounding the rock, sprinting left and right, doing 50 dribble moves EVERY POSSESSION. Most of the BEST distributers in the game GOT RID of the ball early and often.

You think Nash would have been half the player he was on the Suns if he didn't have the 7 seconds or less offense?

Kidd was a PHENOMENAL outlet passer.

"Pace and space" is the term for this era. Pushing the tempo means getting stops. Some teams (Mavs run the most) run zone defense but that's matchup dependant. We BARELY beat the 76ers a couple weeks ago strictly because they don't have the shooters to break our "match up" zone. It's a blend of man/zone defense intended to dare certain players to shoot instead of literally leaving people open in the corners and wings.

If every player in the league had lightning quick reflexes I'm sure more players would play the passing lanes. Instead, most players will play their MAN hoping to get a hand up on the shot, instead of deflecting the pass for easy transition buckets.

Usually you need a great wing defender who can guard 1-4 for the best switch defense. The Clippers have 2. They also have a PG in Pat Bev who can BOTHER bigger players with raw grit.

They have great shooters, but health is key. If any one of those guys isn't on the court, they aren't the same team.

There's no injuries in Rec. There's no punishment for leaving people open for passing lanes. Get a man jumping in the paint and HOF intimidator makes you miss anyways. Contact dunks don't trigger every time. Hell, when it looks like they WILL trigger, half the time my player goes for a soft layup for an easy block. I didn't make that input... I wanted him to YAM or die trying.

Stamina was supposed to be a big thing this year, that lasted a day.

Point is, tl;dr, this game needs a drastic dose of reality.

I remember when shooting 60% all year was ABSURD for MyPlayers online. Now that's paltry.

I thought about it the other day...

Mavs shoot about league average as a team percentage wise. That's roughly 36%. The crazy thing is they ATTEMPT a top 3 number of shots a game. Around 42 per game. They have a couple GREAT shooters, but only Seth is over .40 on the year. They just pray they go in but the offense opens up so many good looks.

Every NBA player in the history of the sport has missed more than they've made in a season besides Kerr. Kerr's record of .52 will probably never be broken because he played with Jordan while doing it. He HAD to be left open to double MJ. And those werent only spot up catch and shoot. Kerr was constantly moving off screens, curling, diving, running back out. Look at Rip Hamilton... That kind of efficiency is only comparable by Klay who just does it from 3.

Even my tl;dr was tl;dr lol...

I'm just saying...

I want ball movement to be king. I want athleticism to matter. I want speed, vertical, weight, height, to be balanced.

I'm so tired of seeing 95 rated 3 players getting steals, blocks, grabbing boards and dunking on the break. I know one who averages 25ppg in rec and 2.5 steals. More than me who plays on almost exclusively defensive characters.

I could pump up my steals if i spammed more. I could get better at timing steals. But I'm best served by taking good angles for contests. I'm good at timing blocks because I'm typically undersized at the 4.

I consider myself above average. No where elite. But im also more disciplined than 90% of my competition. I feel that should matter.

If i could compare myself to an NBA player id be an athletic Kyle Anderson. A young Iggy. 9-8-7-1-2 on good shooting.

I could make millions if i were a replica of my best 2k player this year. That ultimate glue guy.

I typically finish with an A+ every game. But even i can't carry my team against those guys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #6
MVP

Our Team is 52-22 right now. I've played 42 games with that team. 10p-5rb-2ast-2stl-1blk. 57 % from the floor 42 % from deep.

My PERSONAL record is 30-12 in team.

So they were like 18-10 before i started playing with them. They must have won a couple since i left.

My rec stats?

Lol...

202-158 (lots of rage quits)

10-6-3.5-1blk-1stl

57% from the floor and 36% from deep.

But i play on a bunch of different characters in Rec. Mostly my SF. But those shooting numbers have gone up with my inside outside SG.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #7
MVP

tru11's Arena

just have 1 option for solo players and another option for squads.

no need to group sqauds with solo players in JRC.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:10 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
just have 1 option for solo players and another option for squads.

no need to group sqauds with solo players in JRC.
I understand where you're coming from. But honestly, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the Rec?

If you're tired of running into full squads, then send out friend requests of players you've liked running with and build your own squad.

I've brought plenty of players into my circle of friends over the years, that's how I've built a hefty number of friends. I've also played well enough to be invited to other squads.

My point is that if the mechanics for winning weren't so strict, i think more people could have fun.

If anything, the Rec should be locked unless you have 2 people with you. This way you NEVER get a full random team.

Had one today where we were competitive for the first half. I was PG on my SG. I was distributing the ball OK but I'm a shooter mainly. Using my knowledge of PG helped me get the 8 assists i finished with. But without at least a couple people having their own chemistry, poor spacing killed us. I would rather play as a cog than trying to orchestrate out of madness.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »