Home

Do you incorporate real-life events into your dynasty

This is a discussion on Do you incorporate real-life events into your dynasty within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do you include real-life events into your dynasty?
Yes 6 46.15%
No 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2020, 10:46 PM   #1
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

OVR: 0
Do you incorporate real-life events into your dynasty

In my football dynasty playing history (going back to the first games on PS2), I've always wondered about incorporating real-life events into these dynasties. Coaches and players will suddenly pass away, someone may end up being arrested and sent to jail, or someone has a life-altering experience that may keep them out of the game for a few years.

My question is: do you alter your dynasty to include these events?

In the terms of arrests, coaches many times will be fired and players may be suspended or kicked off the team.

With death, do you remove/replace the player or coach? Or do you keep them in the game and let the CPU dictate the rest?

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2020, 06:41 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Do you incorporate real-life events into your dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton9
In my football dynasty playing history (going back to the first games on PS2), I've always wondered about incorporating real-life events into these dynasties. Coaches and players will suddenly pass away, someone may end up being arrested and sent to jail, or someone has a life-altering experience that may keep them out of the game for a few years.

My question is: do you alter your dynasty to include these events?

In the terms of arrests, coaches many times will be fired and players may be suspended or kicked off the team.

With death, do you remove/replace the player or coach? Or do you keep them in the game and let the CPU dictate the rest?

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this.
I haven’t don’t much. I’d like to do more for sure though. Specifically suspensions
Old 01-28-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
Rookie

I do for some things. I made this player progression system that can be pretty dynamic and result in players progressing greatly, players regressing, and sometimes players transferring or leaving the team. Here’s the link: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...or-needed.html

When a player progresses a lot (like +12 overall from the previous year), I will create a storyline about them working with a certain trainer, changing their throwing motion, being a late bloomer, etc.

When a player regresses a lot, I will create a storyline about them having an off-season injury, getting suspended for fall camp, slacking off in the weight room, eating too much junk food, or partying too much, etc.

When a player leaves the team or transfers, I create a storyline about them not getting enough playing time, moving closer to home to be with a sick relative, going to jail, getting kicked off the team for violating team rules, flunking classes, etc.

I keep track of it all on a running Google doc where I chronicle my entire dynasty. When I’m bored, a type up “newspaper articles” or make up some “Tweets” that speculate about what might be going on with my players.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:00 PM   #4
MVP

moose141's Arena

OVR: 2

I try not to and try to create my own universe of events, but it's hard when you're behind real life haha. In my dynasty, I'm about to start 2019, and I originally had 2016 rosters, so it's hard to decide on transferring guys to some of the schools that they are actually at IRL or to keep them with the teams that they've been on in the dynasty. Hopefully I blast through 2019 fairly quick so that I can start 2020 before the real 2020 season starts so that I don't feel pressured haha.

Pittsburgh Penguins - Pittsburgh Panthers - Pittsburgh Steelers - Pittsburgh Pirates - West Ham United
University of Pittsburgh Ice Hockey
Old 01-29-2020, 06:15 AM   #5
Rookie

I usually do my own universe. I like to kinda role play a bit into my own separate CFB world.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2020, 12:22 AM   #6
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

Most of the stuff I have done is mostly lighthearted and not so much grim in nature. I had a players taking classes and trying to graduate. I would even see who could possibly make an All-Academic Team.

I also ended up suspending or cutting players for getting into trouble. Initially, I would see what trouble they caused: from showing up late to practice to something extreme like stealing a car or punching someone. I later changed it to different degrees of "violating team rules" because I just didn't come to like a dice roll dictating a fictitious player just committed a felony.

I never considered something medically related: like a player missing a season to battle cancer or something of the sort. I felt that was doing a disservice to those who actually fight these diseases.

Likewise, I've never considered incorporating death. In a dynasty, 2 coaches from a base roster died IRL over the past year. Both are still "coaching" in the game, and I wasn't going to incorporate their deaths by removing them from the file.

Many thanks to those who have shared their views and voted.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:20 AM   #7
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton9
I never considered something medically related: like a player missing a season to battle cancer or something of the sort. I felt that was doing a disservice to those who actually fight these diseases.

Likewise, I've never considered incorporating death. In a dynasty, 2 coaches from a base roster died IRL over the past year. Both are still "coaching" in the game, and I wasn't going to incorporate their deaths by removing them from the file.
The crazy things that can happen to a team are as you say an interesting parallel to the news on the field and sometimes can be a part of the storyline as far as depth concerns or even the team playing for somebody or something. Death or really serious issues do seem to be a little "reachy" as far as dynasty reporting goes because it's such a serious thing, this life or death, and playing an online dynasty is just for the sheer fun factor - even if we are trying to incorporate some drama.

Not for nothing, as an observer of sports, when someone lets somebody climb atop a scissor lift and die due to high winds, (and seemingly don't even take responsibility for it) I don't forget that stuff. Or when somebody's kids are suffering and struggling with life and end up killing themselves and they never even back off on their job to focus on their family. That stuff, I just don't let go of too easily as far as character assessment. All I'm saying is if it is incorporated, it has to be done in the least crass way possible.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

The only real-life events I incorporate into my dynasties are teams leaving / joining conference. I don't do anything with the players or coaches. Once I'm 10 years in the future, I may change some conference configurations. In my current dynasty I moved Pitt and Syracuse from the ACC to Big 12 to give each conference 12 teams while rekindling the Backyard Brawl.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »