Home

Super Bowl Score Bug Reminded Me of NHL 20

This is a discussion on Super Bowl Score Bug Reminded Me of NHL 20 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2020, 09:53 PM   #1
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30
Super Bowl Score Bug Reminded Me of NHL 20

Anyone else watching this year's Super Bowl reminded a ton of NHL 20 because of Fox's score bug?

It's not exactly the same, but the format and font reminds me of 20 quite a bit. The massive "TOUCHDOWN" graphic (complete with comic book portraits that kinda reminded me of GTA: Vice City) kinda sealed it, as it was pretty similar to the huge "GOAL" popup in NHL 20.

Is life imitating art here? Will more sports networks adopt NHL's graphic set in the near future?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #2
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Super Bowl Score Bug Reminded Me of NHL 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
Anyone else watching this year's Super Bowl reminded a ton of NHL 20 because of Fox's score bug?

It's not exactly the same, but the format and font reminds me of 20 quite a bit. The massive "TOUCHDOWN" graphic (complete with comic book portraits that kinda reminded me of GTA: Vice City) kinda sealed it, as it was pretty similar to the huge "GOAL" popup in NHL 20.

Is life imitating art here? Will more sports networks adopt NHL's graphic set in the near future?
I noticed this too!

I wasn't a fan and I'm concerned if this is the trend, not just in video games, but in real life as well.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #3
MVP

PernellKarl076's Arena

OVR: 0

I also not a big fan of this.... It looks ugly.... If you are a real sports fan, you know when they score a touchdown, when they score a goal. It's like dumbing down the audience/player into saying, ''hey look moron, there's a goal !'', lol !

To me it's the same think as the Fox puck tracking thingy.... Remember that awfulness ?

Their time would be better spent on having more stats overlay for certain players, for streaks and such. Not only the leading scorer... And YES in a smaller and discreet way. I'm not blind for heaven sakes !
Follow me on your favourite TUBE (Videos backstories often in my Slider Thread)

Last edited by PernellKarl076; 02-06-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PernellKarl076
I also not a big fan of this.... It looks ugly.... If you are a real sports fan, you know when they score a touchdown, when they score a goal. It's like dumbing down the audience/player into saying, ''hey look moron, there's a goal !'', lol !

To me it's the same think as the Fox puck tracking thingy.... Remember that awfulness ?

Their time would be better spent on having more stats overlay for certain players, for streaks and such. Not only the leading scorer... And YES in a smaller and discreet way. I'm not blind for heaven sakes !
Interestingly enough, the league seems to be bringing that back too. During the allstar game there were sensors on the puck and player uniforms, allowing for a circle to appear beneath the puck carrier (and to track their current speed), and also in the puck to create that same trail effect as Fox Trax. I don't think they used it much in the regular broadcast, but they had an alternate one on NBCSports Network (or at least the web version of it) which showed off this tech constantly.

Bettman said that it'll be widely deployed next year.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-plans-t...20/c-304218820
Old 02-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #5
MVP

PernellKarl076's Arena

OVR: 0

Great !
Follow me on your favourite TUBE (Videos backstories often in my Slider Thread)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2020, 06:58 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Interestingly enough, the league seems to be bringing that back too. During the allstar game there were sensors on the puck and player uniforms, allowing for a circle to appear beneath the puck carrier (and to track their current speed), and also in the puck to create that same trail effect as Fox Trax. I don't think they used it much in the regular broadcast, but they had an alternate one on NBCSports Network (or at least the web version of it) which showed off this tech constantly.

Bettman said that it'll be widely deployed next year.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-plans-t...20/c-304218820
I was watching the CBC coverage of the skills challenge and it was enabled for about half of the women’s game.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Update on the story I linked to above - it's coming, and sooner rather than later.

https://www.nhl.com/news/puck-player...on/c-315806398

Last edited by bcruise; 03-03-2020 at 06:34 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »