Home

Manage mode players

This is a discussion on Manage mode players within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Manage mode players

Post your thoughts on manage mode.

Last edited by tessl; 04-17-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 2
Re: Manage mode players

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I'd like some feedback as to what umpire setting you use. I found with perfect I get too few runs and with average I get too many runs. I have no idea why it would be this way but this has been my experience.

I quit playing mlbts 19 because I was frustrated with not being able to get enough of a variety. I'm curious what umpire setting other manage mode users employ and what results you are seeing.
I would be surprised if the umpire tendencies would have a huge effect on the amount of offense (or lack of offense) generated in a game. But I have had my umpires set on the "personalized" setting 99% of the time in MoM games, in CPU vs CPU games as well as in RTTS games. I did try the "perfect" umpire tendency at least once not long ago, but that was when I got called out on strikes in a RTTS plate appearance on a pitch I felt was clearly out of the strike zone. But it did not take long for me to migrate back to the "personalized" umpire setting because that is how the real world umpires call their games.

I think the challenge we all face while trying to create a reasonably accurate simmed game of baseball in MoM games is to get the pitchers to throw a combination of pitches that are both purposely in the strike zone as well a pitches to deceive the batter that are purposely out of the strike zone but at some point looked like they would be strikes and get this to happen that statistically matches the real world. Of course it is easier said than done.

I know you have said in the past that you feel the game should play well out of the box using the default "everything set to a 5" slider setting. But sometimes we need to tweak a slider setting up or down and it takes many games to determine whether or not the slider tweak was the right change to make. I am getting back into MoM games after a two year break and I am reasonably happy with the results I am seeing with my sliders that are not too far off of the default "5" values. But who knows what MLBTS20 will play like. My current MLBTS19 sliders might be trash in the new game. Only time will tell. We need nomo to work his statistical analysis magic, but has he gone AWOL this year?

Last edited by My993C2; 02-25-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
I would be surprised if the umpire tendencies would have a huge effect on the amount of offense (or lack of offense) generated in a game. But I have had my umpires set on the "personalized" setting 99% of the time in MoM games, in CPU vs CPU games as well as in RTTS games. I did try the "perfect" umpire tendency at least once not long ago, but that was when I got called out on strikes in a RTTS plate appearance on a pitch I felt was clearly out of the strike zone. But it did not take long for me to migrate back to the "personalized" umpire setting because that is how the real world umpires call their games.

I think the challenge we all face while trying to create a reasonably accurate simmed game of baseball in MoM games is to get the pitchers to throw a combination of pitches that are both purposely in the strike zone as well a pitches to deceive the batter that are purposely out of the strike zone but at some point looked like they would be strikes and get this to happen that statistically matches the real world. Of course it is easier said than done.

I know you have said in the past that you feel the game should play well out of the box using the default "everything set to a 5" slider setting. But sometimes we need to tweak a slider setting up or down and it takes many games to determine whether or not the slider tweak was the right change to make. I am getting back into MoM games after a two year break and I am reasonably happy with the results I am seeing with my sliders that are not too far off of the default "5" values. But who knows what MLBTS20 will play like. My current MLBTS19 sliders might be trash in the new game. Only time will tell. We need nomo to work his statistical analysis magic, but has he gone AWOL this year?

I know sliders are the thing for a lot of people but don't use them. For one thing the developers continue to issue patches for several months after the game is released.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 2

BTW is sacrifice bunting borked in MoM game play?

I was playing a Spring Training game last night in MLBTS19 (Nationals vs Astros) and the game went deep into 16 extra innings. So I was presented with numerous sacrifice bunting opportunities when the lead off hitter made it to first base. Four times throughout the game I tried to lay down a sacrifice bunt with a position player (who did not have a high bunting rating) and all four times the player's bunting attempts were popped up and easily caught by the first base man or catcher for the out. I can see perhaps one out of four attempts resulting in a pop up, but not all four should fail. I hope I am wrong here, but it appears that SDS has purposely took bunting out of offline game play all because online DD players might have been exploiting the system. Sad especially since sacrifice bunting worked fine in older versions of the game.

Last edited by My993C2; 02-27-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
Rookie

Ranger Fan's Arena

If they will fix just a few things in this mode I am happy. Its all i play

1. In Game Injuries. For some reason not 1 injury inside a MOM game. Some notifications prior to game starting but 0 in game even with injury slider at 10

2. Rotate the inner league schedules for christ sakes. Thats all modes

3. CPU Bull pen usage. Guys had close to 100 appearances on CPU teams, especially NL Teams
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2020, 07:01 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
BTW is sacrifice bunting borked in MoM game play?

I was playing a Spring Training game last night in MLBTS19 (Nationals vs Astros) and the game went deep into 16 extra innings. So I was presented with numerous sacrifice bunting opportunities when the lead off hitter made it to first base. Four times throughout the game I tried to lay down a sacrifice bunt with a position player (who did not have a high bunting rating) and all four times the player's bunting attempts were popped up and easily caught by the first base man or catcher for the out. I can see perhaps one out of four attempts resulting in a pop up, but not all four should fail. I hope I am wrong here, but it appears that SDS has purposely took bunting out of offline game play all because online DD players might have been exploiting the system. Sad especially since sacrifice bunting worked fine in older versions of the game.

Sacrifice bunting is not like it used to be. Players with a high bunt rating are okay but others will either pop up the bunt or bunt hard resulting in a force play at second. If the batter is slow it sometimes is a double play.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Fan
If they will fix just a few things in this mode I am happy. Its all i play

1. In Game Injuries. For some reason not 1 injury inside a MOM game. Some notifications prior to game starting but 0 in game even with injury slider at 10

2. Rotate the inner league schedules for christ sakes. Thats all modes

3. CPU Bull pen usage. Guys had close to 100 appearances on CPU teams, especially NL Teams
As with sacrifice bunting injuries used to be realistic. It's a great game - I hate to complain too much - but it is frustrating when things which are fine get broken.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:34 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:

I hate to be that guy but what does MoM mean?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »