Home

MLB The Show 20 Livestream Breakdown - Diamond Dynasty, Showdown, Team Affinity and More

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 20 Livestream Breakdown - Diamond Dynasty, Showdown, Team Affinity and More within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
MLB The Show 20 Livestream Breakdown - Diamond Dynasty, Showdown, Team Affinity and More

Another SDS stream is in the books and the amount of content dropped is nearly impossible...

Written By: Joe Doyle

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2020, 04:21 PM   #2
MVP

TripleCrown's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 20 Livestream Breakdown - Diamond Dynasty, Showdown, Team Affinity a

when i read this I have the feeling we’re getting closer to Candy Crush than a real baseball sim
Old 03-07-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Re: MLB The Show 20 Livestream Breakdown - Diamond Dynasty, Showdown, Team Affinity a

Yeah, but that Candy Crush game would be dope. Also Candy Crush exploitation of wallets is elite on a level Show can't even comprehend.

(Also I'll still be putting all the DD stuff in its own sub-forum on the whole, the news today was just large enough I felt it should go in here. This is done to avoid the snipes like above and keep discourse a little healthier.)

Last edited by ChaseB; 03-07-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

OVR: 0

I personally love what I saw and it made me finally pre-order the game. There were three things in the stream that got immediate negative feedback
  1. Prestige diamonds can only be earned by grinding stats online.
  2. You can no longer quick sell a card used to complete a collection
  3. The new 3 batter minimum is included in Battle Royale, which in my opinion is kind of silly for a 3 inning game.

The big positives were
  1. No more pitcher roulette
  2. Multiple phases for team affinities.
  3. Evolution cards

But of course, as usual, the first reply in the thread had to categorize DD in a manner that also insults every person who enjoys the mode.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
I personally love what I saw and it made me finally pre-order the game. There were three things in the stream that got immediate negative feedback
  1. Prestige diamonds can only be earned by grinding stats online.
  2. You can no longer quick sell a card used to complete a collection
  3. The new 3 batter minimum is included in Battle Royale, which in my opinion is kind of silly for a 3 inning game.

The big positives were
  1. No more pitcher roulette
  2. Multiple phases for team affinities.
  3. Evolution cards

But of course, as usual, the first reply in the thread had to categorize DD in a manner that also insults every person who enjoys the mode.
I think putting that pitcher limit into BR is good because it adds even more focus to drafting a balanced team. But I do get your point when taking the ratios into account of 27 outs vs 9.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2020, 04:41 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown
when i read this I have the feeling we’re getting closer to Candy Crush than a real baseball sim
I dont mind so much if the Show becomes MLB Candy Crush, I just hate that it cant be all things to all people and Sony feels they cant advance the sim aspect like they can the arcade side of it. from a video game-makers view of it, it must be easier to create a game where you can make up the rules to fit what you are creating than it is to adhere to somebody else's preconceived expectation of how the game should be played, and they want to make money doing it.

there is such a fine line to straddle, it easy to venture off one way or the other. one can see how SDS doesn't want to just put out a roster update every year, so stuff that falls into the DD Candy Crush/ low hanging fruit side will be tempting to grab than putting more resources into stuff like franchise that wont yield nearly the profit. sometimes it's tough to be a minority but you still gotta push on.

A Work in Progress
Old 03-07-2020, 04:42 PM   #7
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I felt that they did some good things this year, but it's honestly a let down.
I think they did some cool things with different card types and so on and there is a ton to do and earn without spending a penny. But, I don't understand many of the decisions here....

Tying in the only stat grinds to online (they crowd that DID NOT want them in the first place) is puzzling. WHY is the only grind for offline for Team Affinity AGAIN the utterly mind-numbing "Innings Played"?

Showdown using canned drafts (vs pulling players from your own collection) ruins any intrigue from that mode. Another puzzling choice there....

There is a total lack of reason for offline players to even consider roster construction or lineups in a "team building" mode, and that is the most puzzling design decision of them all.

It's just a very non-cohesive mode this year.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:44 PM   #8
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I dont mind so much if the Show becomes MLB Candy Crush, I just hate that it cant be all things to all people and Sony feels they cant advance the sim aspect like they can the arcade side of it. from a video game-makers view of it, it must be easier to create a game where you can make up the rules to fit what you are creating than it is to adhere to somebody else's preconceived expectation of how the game should be played, and they want to make money doing it.

there is such a fine line to straddle, it easy to venture off one way or the other. one can see how SDS doesn't want to just put out a roster update every year, so stuff that falls into the DD Candy Crush/ low hanging fruit side will be tempting to grab than putting more resources into stuff like franchise that wont yield nearly the profit. sometimes it's tough to be a minority but you still gotta push on.
The general point here I understand and relate to, but it's undeniable the way people play games has also changed, and that includes sports games. This is not to say if an amazing franchise mode was there it would not be played, but even the "best" franchise mode would not get the hours it would have in the past because it's just a bit of a different ecosystem out there. It's not even a value judgment it's just normal ebbs and flows of entertainment and happens to every medium. The way movies were made changes etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »