Home

2K21 needs to be completely positionless.

This is a discussion on 2K21 needs to be completely positionless. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2020, 05:29 AM   #1
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

OVR: 0
2K21 needs to be completely positionless.

Guards/wings/bigs.

It really would open up so much. It needs to be in all modes. MyLeague, PNO, MyCareer all should be this way. It would help in match making in Rec. The MyPlayer builder would be more open. Instead of guards only picking PG for better stats and flooding the match making system so you have 3 PGS when you're trying to fill out a full 5. Rotations in NBA games would be able to feature your best scorers regardless of whether they're a PG/SG or a SG/SF. I just think the game would feel better all around.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: 2K21 needs to be completely positionless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
Guards/wings/bigs.

It really would open up so much. It needs to be in all modes. MyLeague, PNO, MyCareer all should be this way. It would help in match making in Rec. The MyPlayer builder would be more open. Instead of guards only picking PG for better stats and flooding the match making system so you have 3 PGS when you're trying to fill out a full 5. Rotations in NBA games would be able to feature your best scorers regardless of whether they're a PG/SG or a SG/SF. I just think the game would feel better all around.
From a MyTeam perspective, please no. Position locks were badly needed going in to this year and 2k has chosen to nuke them between PG versions of guys like LeBron and Giannis. The only saving grace for the mode right now is the position locks on the 2 spot which ensure that you're going to have someone under 6'6 or 6'7 on the floor so that there's somebody a normal point guard can handle.

Taking away position locks for MyTeam altogether would lead to cookie cutter teams that render even the elite point guards in NBA history utterly useless. They didn't have it last year and it was horrible. Now they've added it in and made it even worse by allowing a few elite forwards PG eligibility.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625
Old 03-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #3
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

The real problem with MyTeam is the goofy fantasy stats they've started put on these cards in the past few years.

As long as you have forwards that have the speed, shooting, passing and ballhandling of point guards then no one is going to use actual point guards. Back in 2K16/17 I was obliterating people with Steph Curry, but I wouldn't dare use him now.

But yeah that is a whole other topic for a different thread lol.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:06 PM   #4
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
The real problem with MyTeam is the goofy fantasy stats they've started put on these cards in the past few years.

As long as you have forwards that have the speed, shooting, passing and ballhandling of point guards then no one is going to use actual point guards. Back in 2K16/17 I was obliterating people with Steph Curry, but I wouldn't dare use him now.

But yeah that is a whole other topic for a different thread lol.
100 percent lol. It really ruins things.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625
Old 03-09-2020, 10:51 PM   #5
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

To make it completely positionless, you would also have to drop the guards/bigs/wings.

I'd be 100% on board for removing positions. Positions are dumb and archaic. It's all about particular skills (attribute ratings from a 2K perspective). So-called NBA analysts criticized Houston when the Rockets decided to "go small" because they didn't have a "traditional center" in their rotation. Covington can protect the rim well enough to cover for the rim protection that most "traditional centers" offer... so what if he's not 6'10" or taller? Most teams don't have a large, powerful, low-post threat who can punish them for that anyway.

Positionless is the way to go. It's silly to stick to an old categorical way to oversimplify the game.

Also, 2K does a terrible job at representing player OVR ratings because of the stupid attribute weighting at each position. I wrote about it 2 years ago.
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...l-ratings.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2020, 01:49 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

the NBA isn’t position less despite what people claim.

and what will this solve? people will still make shorter guards for the speed.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:26 AM   #7
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

This is mainly from a MyLeague/MyGM perspective, but what about just having position proficiency attributes, like what coaches have with system proficiency. Then you can set the proficiency attributes for players like LeBron, Giannis, Ben Simmons, etc. to be proficient in multiple positions, and can set players like DAJ, Dwight Howard, Clint Capela, etc. to only be proficient in one position.

Then the lineup system would try to maximize the total proficiency of each lineup but you can set players to not start at certain positions or not play at certain positions like how you can currently set players to not start.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:51 AM   #8
MVP

tru11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34
the NBA isn’t position less despite what people claim.

and what will this solve? people will still make shorter guards for the speed.
it wont solve anything as people are going to make the same build regardless.

they would have less option going from 5 positions to .

it also does not help that the myplayer build lets you make traditional bigs like hakeem and kareem and such.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »