Home

Dynasty HoF or Best of?

This is a discussion on Dynasty HoF or Best of? within the Dynasty HQ forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Dynasty HQ
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-24-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8
Dynasty HoF or Best of?

Hey everyone,

If you're here, it's probably because you enjoy creating or reading dynasties (or both). I know I've discovered several dynasties years after they have started and enjoyed reading through them and catching up. However, I would bet that I've missed some great ones.

What do you all think about creating a community process for nominating and selecting dynasties of an OS Dynasty Hall of Fame?

I'd be happy to have us define the criteria for nomination, the process for voting, and the cadence for adding new HoF members (we don't want to dilute it too much, this is for the best of the best, the things that could make a non-dynasty user fall in love with dynasties).

Maybe we could even "interview" HoF members to get tips on successful dynasties, formatting, creative ideas, etc.

What are your thoughts and feedback?

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.

Last edited by studbucket; 03-24-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
炭治郎

kibaxx7's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Dynasty HoF or Best of?

Oh most definitely! I first discovered NLSC about... 15 years ago! And they made a Dynasty HOF and then an Association HOF as 2K took the reigns. I'm very happy to have had an association that received the honor.

If I have to nominate one today, it has to be superjames1992' James Frizzell career.
The Pigeon Tunnel (2023), Kindergarten Cop (1990), Arsène Wenger: Invincible (2021) ×
Old 03-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #3
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderxx7
Oh most definitely! I first discovered NLSC about... 15 years ago! And they made a Dynasty HOF and then an Association HOF as 2K took the reigns. I'm very happy to have had an association that received the honor.

If I have to nominate one today, it has to be superjames1992' James Frizzell career.

If we were to think about the types of dynasties that would be HoF worthy, what criteria would you use? Here are some that come to mind for me:
  • Longevity - you're not a flash in the pan, but tell a long-running or coherent story.
  • Presentation - you display the story in a compelling and engaging way
  • Creativity - whether it's storytelling or the underlying idea, is it unique and interesting?

Old 03-24-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
炭治郎

kibaxx7's Arena

Longevity - most definitely. Not a lot of people get to, let's say 3+ years. I've only been able to do it once, either because I got bored down the road or started to lose (or even win!) a lot. So you gotta find the way to stay engaged.

Presentation - Personally, I've always put this first. I don't want to just write. I've always wanted to add photos (videos if I can), to take it to another level. You gotta have free time available, obviously.

Creativity - Storytelling it is, here. People make sorts of "the career of" and write a story, I think you gotta give extra points to that. It has to be unique too, either by longevity and/or presentation.
The Pigeon Tunnel (2023), Kindergarten Cop (1990), Arsène Wenger: Invincible (2021) ×
Old 03-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #5
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

I very much like this idea -- you have my support. I'll have deeper thoughts later (coming up with selection criteria and judging these things will be a real challenge) but I think this would be a worthy addition to the forums. There are some really good threads over the years that deserve to have a light shone on them and recognized.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2020, 09:40 PM   #6
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
I very much like this idea -- you have my support. I'll have deeper thoughts later (coming up with selection criteria and judging these things will be a real challenge) but I think this would be a worthy addition to the forums. There are some really good threads over the years that deserve to have a light shone on them and recognized.
Absolutely, I'd love to bubble up old threads that have gotten buried.

My thoughts, in addition to coming up with the criteria, would be to have a nomination period and process (which may involve posts in each subforum, maybe we need to work with the mods) and a voting process.

If people don't abuse the system:

Nominations - simple surveymonkey survey posted here. Respond with your OS username and a link to the thread you nominate + a description of why you nominated it. Maybe we allow 3 nominations?

Selections - perhaps threads that pass a certain threshold of nominations (like 5) make it to the final phase, where we put all up for a vote and the top 2 or 3 make it in.

Alternatively, we could have 1 dynasty from football, 1 from basketball, and 2 from baseball, hockey, other, and coaching make it in each year, or something like that. Or maybe we do it every 6 months.

If people abuse the system and stuff the ballot box, we could find another, more stringent, way to do this all on OS.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #7
Pro

dfsJunkie's Arena

I think this is a good idea, as there are a lot of great stories out there already. Anything to help improve the engagement of the site.

I think it would be important to limit how many are inducted though. It might be worthwhile to have a couple different categories too.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:36 AM   #8
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfsJunkie
I think this is a good idea, as there are a lot of great stories out there already. Anything to help improve the engagement of the site.

I think it would be important to limit how many are inducted though. It might be worthwhile to have a couple different categories too.

I think limiting inductions is exactly what we should do. How would you categorize? 3 ideas come to mind for me:

1) No category, just general excellence
2) Per sport
3) For excellence in an attribute (presentation, creativity, longevity)

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Dynasty HQ »