Home

Deepest generated draft class ever?

This is a discussion on Deepest generated draft class ever? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2020, 12:32 PM   #1
Rookie

elchristo's Arena

OVR: 0
Deepest generated draft class ever?

I just had in madden 19 a draft class generated in the 2029 year with 7 1st Round QB's. This seems like way too many to me because i drafted a QB with first round talent with the 64th pick. Are unbalanced draft classes common like this is in madden 20?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2020, 02:09 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Deepest generated draft class ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchristo
I just had in madden 19 a draft class generated in the 2029 year with 7 1st Round QB's. This seems like way too many to me because i drafted a QB with first round talent with the 64th pick. Are unbalanced draft classes common like this is in madden 20?
That draft metric is similar to the OVR rating, it has so much unusable fluff in its calculation, it skews what you’re really getting in a player.

There can be 30 1st Rd designations but the balance is that most of them will rarely carry an OVR that allows them to crack a starting role and/or meaningful playing time.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:20 PM   #3
MVP

tetoleetd's Arena

OVR: 8

ive had a draft class where my 1st round pick was a 72 overall with normal development and everyone i took after him was increasingly worse, with normal development.

and yes i scouted all year.

so consider yourself lucky lol.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchristo
I feel like they're a lot better in this regard in Madden 20. Madden 19 and previous Madden's had a real problem with each class having way too many high caliber QB prospects and with the real-life situations of many teams, it led to no teams selecting QB's until late in the first or second rounds. Madden 20 deals with the same thing again because of how current NFL teams are set-up with so many teams being "set" at QB but the draft classes are more balanced in that there isn't nearly as many high-level QB's per class.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:47 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

I’m in 2032 or so, and I rarely see elite QB prospects anymore. Most of the top QBs in the NFL now are from my first couple years, when I was using custom classes with real prospects.

I also rarely see elite linebacker prospects.

A few days ago I counted how many 90+ and 80+ overall players were in my franchise across all 32 teams, and for most positions I had a little fewer 80+ and significantly fewer (about a third in many cases) 90+ overall. And currently no one above 95 overall in the entire NFL. I have a 93 overall receiver from a generated class, and only four players in the NFL are rated better than him. So if anything, I’d say the generated draft classes are a bit on the weak side.

So I’ve spent quite a few quarantine hours adjusting generated classes to give them better ratings. Created a few elite QB prospects (some at the top of the draft, a few later), added a handful of stud running backs, especially adding some good non-elusive guys (I’ve had way too many classes lately that were trash top to bottom there), and generally added a top prospect or two at each position. In some cases I left the ratings alone and just gave a 73 overall WR type an X-factor. In others, I made guys who hit the NFL and will be among the best guys at their position immediately. I also created a lot of superstar OL even though that’s the one place generated prospects don’t need ratings help, as OL can’t improve dev traits. Also made a couple of superstar fullbacks and kickers because all generated guys at those spots tend to be kinda the same.

Haven’t actually used these yet, but they’re fairly quick to make and probably worth it in the long run. I made enough that I won’t have a scouting advantage by knowing all the good sleepers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2020, 10:42 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moTIGS
I’m in 2032 or so, and I rarely see elite QB prospects anymore. Most of the top QBs in the NFL now are from my first couple years, when I was using custom classes with real prospects.

I also rarely see elite linebacker prospects.

A few days ago I counted how many 90+ and 80+ overall players were in my franchise across all 32 teams, and for most positions I had a little fewer 80+ and significantly fewer (about a third in many cases) 90+ overall. And currently no one above 95 overall in the entire NFL. I have a 93 overall receiver from a generated class, and only four players in the NFL are rated better than him. So if anything, I’d say the generated draft classes are a bit on the weak side.

So I’ve spent quite a few quarantine hours adjusting generated classes to give them better ratings. Created a few elite QB prospects (some at the top of the draft, a few later), added a handful of stud running backs, especially adding some good non-elusive guys (I’ve had way too many classes lately that were trash top to bottom there), and generally added a top prospect or two at each position. In some cases I left the ratings alone and just gave a 73 overall WR type an X-factor. In others, I made guys who hit the NFL and will be among the best guys at their position immediately. I also created a lot of superstar OL even though that’s the one place generated prospects don’t need ratings help, as OL can’t improve dev traits. Also made a couple of superstar fullbacks and kickers because all generated guys at those spots tend to be kinda the same.

Haven’t actually used these yet, but they’re fairly quick to make and probably worth it in the long run. I made enough that I won’t have a scouting advantage by knowing all the good sleepers.
I’m noticing this too. Seems like the generated draft classes won’t give you good players at certain positions if there’s already an over-abundance of higher overall within a certain position. I think im in year 2031 now, only watching playoff games with cpu vs cpu and simming everything else. I too used custom draft classes those first 4 seasons and im seeing the same stuff as you.

It may be better gameplay wise to just use the generated draft classes because they’re more balanced in keeping the leagues positions and overalls and check and balance.

The file is called xboxassantesgreatestever.

Teams finished:
Bears, bills, browns, KC, Dall, Miami, Philly, ATL, SF, NYG, Jags, GB, NE, OAK, Rams, Ravens, WASH, NO, PITT, broncos, Texans, panthers, vikings, colts
Old 03-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Problem is not the overall at the start, but cpu logic to play them.

70 OVR for a rookie QB is very good already and is absolutely in line with original rosters. If he has good development, then he can easily get up to 80-85 after season 1, and 85-90 after season 2 - so he's a superstar QB already. Unfortunately CPU often decides because of low OVR to start the 35yo 73 OVR guy no human player would chose.

I've not seen an unbalanced draft class so far. Sometimes positions are very weak and sometimes stronger, but not to a degree that it wouldn't reflect real drafts.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaAut
Problem is not the overall at the start, but cpu logic to play them.

70 OVR for a rookie QB is very good already and is absolutely in line with original rosters. If he has good development, then he can easily get up to 80-85 after season 1, and 85-90 after season 2 - so he's a superstar QB already. Unfortunately CPU often decides because of low OVR to start the 35yo 73 OVR guy no human player would chose.

I've not seen an unbalanced draft class so far. Sometimes positions are very weak and sometimes stronger, but not to a degree that it wouldn't reflect real drafts.
I concur with this and wish I had made the same point.

My reason for bumping up the ratings for prospects is primarily so teams will play them (or improving dev traits so they'll progress a bit quicker despite not playing). They might progress to be too good down the road, but I'm at the point in this franchise where I don't mind experimenting.

My QB is a generated prospect who is ranked I think 92 overall. He was a 74 or so as a rookie, sat one season, then steadily progressed. Similar prospects on other teams stall out about 10 points worse in overall. My running back was a 99 for years and is now mid-80s as he nears retirement. He was a 63 overall star dev rookie who blew up quickly. That never happens with CPU teams because they won't put a 63 overall in the lineup.

That said, the Bears have had one of the leading passers in the NFL for most of my franchise. Anthony Gordon from WSU, who I originally drafted late in my first draft and ended up trading. I don't think he ever got above an 84 despite starting with a star dev, earning an x-factor, and playing regularly and playing well. He might've finally started to get PT when he was too old to progress quickly, but still ... Aaron Rodgers never started a game until he was 25, so quarterbacks who sit on the bench for a few years then break out should still have the ability to earn elite attributes.

My next experiment with this franchise will be taking over as coach/owner for several teams and setting depth charts. I'm not sure if I can toggle autopilot on without having the CPU redo depth charts, though, which would be unfortunate. If I can't get teams to play young players that way, I'll likely just end up building rosters bereft of experienced players so they have no choice. I don't think we can set up training/upgrades/scouting to automatic for individual teams—I recall it being a league-wide setting—which would help automate the parts I don't want to waste time on while retaining some roster control.

Overall, though, I do gotta say I appreciate that franchise provides the options to make these adjustments well into the start of a franchise. One of the things that annoys me most about The Show is that once you start, you can't add/drop user-controlled teams. Not that manually fixing issues replaces quality game design, but I'm glad that at least if EA won't devote the time into making things function perfectly, it's willing to give us some control to find workarounds we can live with.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »