Home

Diving plays need to be tightened up

This is a discussion on Diving plays need to be tightened up within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 04-02-2020, 01:58 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

Not sure how many of you are seeing this but 90% of diving plays or jumping plays result in the ball bouncing off a glove or arm. This doesnt seem to matter wether its a gold fielder or a below average rated fielder. Seems like an honest error as they try to work on defense, hopefully there will be more clean highlight reel plays in the near future.

This is offline play

Sent from my LG-H873 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2020, 02:47 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Diving plays need to be tightened up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorphinrush3000
Not sure how many of you are seeing this but 90% of diving plays or jumping plays result in the ball bouncing off a glove or arm. This doesnt seem to matter wether its a gold fielder or a below average rated fielder. Seems like an honest error as they try to work on defense, hopefully there will be more clean highlight reel plays in the near future.

This is offline play

I haven't seen many diving plays nor have I seen many extreme catch indicator-use plays
Old 04-02-2020, 04:49 AM   #3
Rookie

Drop_ya_mitts's Arena

I haven't got a big enough sample size to say either way. I've had some really nice plays and some that bounce off gloves. Haven't had a problem when either happen. Had one last night where Trey Mancini dived for a flair into right field and it bounced off is glove at full stretch. Now after watching Trey for years, I'd say the chances of him successfully making that grab would be quite low, so I have no issues with him not making the play in game.
Like I say though, my sample size is still small as I only get to play maybe 10 games a week but I haven't felt this as an issue so far.
Good to keep the feedback rolling.
Last thing we want is too common a highlight play, otherwise they become the norm and not actual highlights (imo)
Old 04-02-2020, 06:27 AM   #4
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6

I have never liked the diving mechanic in this game. The fact that you have to decide whether to use the jump or dive button in a split second is terrible if you ask me.

The MVP series from EA had the easiest way: just point the R stick in the direction the ball is and the player will make the appropriate jump/dive necessary to make the play. This resulted in some great plays that aren’t even possible in The Show.

I’ve been asking for this gameplay change for years.

Last edited by LastActionHero; 04-02-2020 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:19 AM   #5
Rookie

I agree that the diving catches need to be successful more often even with below average fielders. Pro players usually are able to make those plays when the ball is in the reach of their glove. Heck, in my softball beer league guys probably complete diving catches 8 or 9 times out of 10 (and 10 out of 10 times when I'm batting it seems). In The Show even playing with auto fielding on it seems to be 50/50 whether they catch it or it bounces off of the fielder's glove/wrist (which is fine occasionally) or arm (should never happen). Fielding overall has seen terrific improvements over the last few years which has pleased me as someone who was all about defense back in my real-life baseball playing days. However the diving/jumping/home run robbing mechanics have been and continue to be a rough spot. Obviously it is very tough to get natural looking and fluid animations for those plays and The Show is far from the only baseball video game that has come up short in that area. Hopefully soon with tech advancements improvements will come.

Last edited by rick diesel; 04-02-2020 at 07:47 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #6
MVP

dubplate's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorphinrush3000

This is offline play

I’m seeing a good mix and have been happy with the change this year, in years past nearly every diving play resulted in a catch.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplate
I’m seeing a good mix and have been happy with the change this year, in years past nearly every diving play resulted in a catch.
But isn't it realistic for most diving plays to result in catches? At least on fly balls and line drives in the air MLB players almost always hang on to the ball. Even the freshman high schoolers I coach rarely drop the ball on diving plays in the outfield. It's one thing to dive and fail to reach the ball, but if a player gets their glove on the ball they are most likely going to catch it. That being said, when it comes to ground balls it's a bit of a different story. Diving stops on grounders commonly result in the ball being knocked down instead of gloved cleanly and I think The Show has a good balance on those plays. But, using auto fielding, outfielders are completely butchering diving catches too often imo.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:55 PM   #8
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

Reckon the computer controlled fielders average about a 95% catch rate on dives and homerun grabs, human not so much. Seems fine for human controlled players tbh, they are supposed to be tough plays, they just need to tone down the auto fielders

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »