Home

Franchise Regression Attribute Help

This is a discussion on Franchise Regression Attribute Help within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 04-02-2020, 03:58 AM   #1
Rookie

JWDixon120's Arena

OVR: 0
Franchise Regression Attribute Help

So I'm typing this up now to see what you guys' opinions on manually editing Regressing players throughout a franchise...
As we all know the progression/regression system seems to be pretty off at times and no matter how Great an aging player does, he'll regress to oblivion. I figure this could be a way to keep some older Vets who perform in the league. I just hate to see someone like Verlander, who has had back to back seasons at age 36/37 with sub-3 ERA's regress from 96 OVR to a 70 OVR in a single season regardless of performance.

I understand every player can't play forever, but MLB The Show's regression seems so overboard that there never again will ever be a player playing into his 40s. I understand players like Nolan Ryan, Barry Bonds, Verlander are rare BUT it does happen and it will never happen under The Show's progression system.

This idea has come to me and I figure it would work like this:
At the end of every month throughout the Season, Use the player search tool to search for every player at or over the age of 33? (Unsure exactly when regression begins) and then from there I look at those players Stats ( Who are in the MLB) and Edit their attributes based upon their performance.

Obviously, players would only get a portion of lost points back unless they are just going insane for an entire year.

Here's an example. Currently in my franchise I've played 15 games. I mentioned Verlander earlier so I'll stick with him..

Here's his stat line thus far:
3 GS 22.0 IP 7 ER 2.86 ERA 24 Ks

So through 3 games into his age 38 season, Verlander has been keeping pace with his previous years. However it is a small sample size.

Well, through just THREE! starts, Verlander has regressed -4 Attributes in every single pitching attribute... Although he's top 12 in ERA in the AL... That just makes no sense to me.

Hopefully this makes sense to those reading and basically I'm asking for input on what maybe are some good thresholds to use when it comes to adding back attribute points to players. I.E if a player aged 33-35 pitches a 2.5-3.00 ERA, they retain 90% of attributes lost or something like that. That's a very raw standard but you get the point.

Any input is welcome!

Last edited by JWDixon120; 04-02-2020 at 04:01 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2020, 08:11 AM   #2
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Re: Franchise Regression Attribute Help

Check out my slider thread. On the OP I Warmwinds house rules and they are IMO very good and balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
God of War Ragnorok (PS5)
Red Dead Redemption (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 04-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
Rookie

JWDixon120's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Check out my slider thread. On the OP I Warmwinds house rules and they are IMO very good and balanced.

Just checked them out! Sounds like a pretty fair system! I’m thinking about going through and checking regression on the last day of every month to keep those guys from completely falling off cliffs. So if X player is a 95 OVR in April, he isn’t a 80 by all star break even when he’s having a good year.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:15 PM   #4
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword

I find this statement funny. "Check out my thread to check out someone else's rules."

To be clear, I'm not mad about it. Quite the opposite in fact, I'm honoured that you integrated my house rules into a prominent place in your thread.

It's just funny to me, in a smile and a chuckle way. Great to see the forums being used to their potential: as a free exchange of ideas and information.

Meanwhile in my slider thread, my regression house rules are nowhere to be found.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-03-2020, 05:44 AM   #5
Rookie

I more or less use the parameters mentioned above. Typically I only edit pitchers. And stick mostly to stamina regression issues as its easiest and quickest to fix at the end of the year. I find it too easy to get lost down a wormhole going any deeper than this.

General Template:

SP Ages - Action
  • <29 - reapply STA lost
  • 30-33 - STA lost added to DUR (2 max)
  • 34+ - STA lost/2 added to DUR (round up if needed)

RP Ages - Action
  • <33 - reapply STA
  • 34+ - STA lost/2 added to DUR (round up if necessary)

The list below doesn't NEED to be used, but it's another way to not create old cyborgs.
  • AGE - Max DUR edits
  • 30 - 99
  • 31 - 97
  • 32 - 95
  • 33 - 93
  • 34 - 91
Continue dropping DUR by 2 or switch to a 3 pt drop per year.

End of Regular Season and/or 1 game left of MiLB
MiLB 28 GS & 168+ IP
MLB 32 GS &192 IP, 33 GS & 198 IP, 34 GS & 204 IP
Any RP w/ 100 GP: add 1 DUR, if DUR is 80+ add 1 STA

At the end of the season, before the playoffs start, pitchers meeting the above criteria should be edited based on the tables above, +1 to the applicable attribute. These edits shouldn't take very long. SP with 192+ IP who have played more than 34 games can be edited at your discretion.

After the playoffs, before moving to the offseason, edit all pitchers using the above tables. This step is time consuming. It takes me 5 to 8 minutes per team.

I'm a team builder, purely Sim franchise player, this year I'm still dialing in my STA sliders to give me close to accurate IP.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
MVP

The biggest problem is stamina and speed always declining by -1 per year regardless of age but I don't edit anything. I assemble my team knowing how it is programmed. For example when scouting only scout starting pitchers with current stamina of 80. The rest will be at best 5 inning pitchers by the time they make MLB.

The developers have known about this and apparently don't see it as a problem. Therefore I don't edit anything. Recognize how it works and assemble a team accordingly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »