Home

Franchise players (carryover/multi-season)

This is a discussion on Franchise players (carryover/multi-season) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
MVP

hitstreak13's Arena

OVR: 13
Franchise players (carryover/multi-season)

Hello everyone,

Long time show player (literally 99% of my year round game). Been reading some of your franchise progresses and really got me thinking- For those of you that have carried over or played multiple franchises, i would like to know some of the most memorable/statistical wonders/bust etc. experiences. Just a couple of points that stand out in your mind. Here are 6 of mine (had a few franchises, but carried over Rockies from 14 playing every game. Currently on the show 19)

- Jordan Lyles was a 15 game winner in 14 (15-5, 180 IP, 2.95 ERA). However, he would only win 10 games to the tune of an ERA of 5.50 over the next 2 iterations to which I released him. Man, that was his dream season.

- Also in 14, had a 1st round 1B prospect (Sammy Ponce) that had 79 and 70 power vs righties and lefties respectively. However, he never made it past AA. Dislocated ankle in 15 missed 3/4 of the season and bulging disk in 16 ended his career. What could have been! Hit 21 HR in 334 career PA in AA.

- In 5 full seasons, I have NEVER had a: 17 game winner, a 40 HR season, a 30 SB season, 200 inning SP, 200 k SP, won the division, or won a batting title. However, Ben Paulsen lead the NL in doubles in 15 (Yes Nolan has had some good seasons, but injuries have struck). Charlie Blackmon led league in 3B in 17 with a whopping 15.

- Jose Fernandez (RIP) is a 3 time Cy Young award winner. Man in 5 seasons: 88 wins, 1100 K, 2.33 ERA. Stras and Max have won the other 2.

- I missed the playoffs in 14,17 and 18 playing every single game (lost wildcard to Cubs in both 15 and 16). However off to a 10-2 start in 19.

- Greg Holland has been a work horse at the backend easily cementing himself as best closer in Rockies history (40+ saves in each iteration). Starting rotation only has 2 CG in total in 5 seasons (Bud Norris and Jordan Lyles had 1 each).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Franchise players (carryover/multi-season)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitstreak13
Hello everyone,

Long time show player (literally 99% of my year round game). Been reading some of your franchise progresses and really got me thinking- For those of you that have carried over or played multiple franchises, i would like to know some of the most memorable/statistical wonders/bust etc. experiences. Just a couple of points that stand out in your mind. Here are 6 of mine (had a few franchises, but carried over Rockies from 14 playing every game. Currently on the show 19)

- Jordan Lyles was a 15 game winner in 14 (15-5, 180 IP, 2.95 ERA). However, he would only win 10 games to the tune of an ERA of 5.50 over the next 2 iterations to which I released him. Man, that was his dream season.

- Also in 14, had a 1st round 1B prospect (Sammy Ponce) that had 79 and 70 power vs righties and lefties respectively. However, he never made it past AA. Dislocated ankle in 15 missed 3/4 of the season and bulging disk in 16 ended his career. What could have been! Hit 21 HR in 334 career PA in AA.

- In 5 full seasons, I have NEVER had a: 17 game winner, a 40 HR season, a 30 SB season, 200 inning SP, 200 k SP, won the division, or won a batting title. However, Ben Paulsen lead the NL in doubles in 15 (Yes Nolan has had some good seasons, but injuries have struck). Charlie Blackmon led league in 3B in 17 with a whopping 15.

- Jose Fernandez (RIP) is a 3 time Cy Young award winner. Man in 5 seasons: 88 wins, 1100 K, 2.33 ERA. Stras and Max have won the other 2.

- I missed the playoffs in 14,17 and 18 playing every single game (lost wildcard to Cubs in both 15 and 16). However off to a 10-2 start in 19.

- Greg Holland has been a work horse at the backend easily cementing himself as best closer in Rockies history (40+ saves in each iteration). Starting rotation only has 2 CG in total in 5 seasons (Bud Norris and Jordan Lyles had 1 each).
I know this doesn't answer your initial question, but THIS is why the carryover feature is HUGE. The thrill of building franchise over a span of a few years and watching/playing with players over the span of a career is awesome. Not just fast forwarding through years at a time, that's not engaging.

Specifically for me, finding or drafting a player, and plugging him in, and watching him advance through a career, is pretty cool and never gets old.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

Hmm I have a few stories. My most recent one is Roger Ambercrombie. LH late reliever who never shows much in terms of emotion but leapfrogged all of my "future closers" and guys with the actual CP position and even chased my long time closer out of the spot to become my current closer.

Dude is cool as a cucumber. The rest of my backend bullpen shows a ton of emotion (especially predicted future closer Ozzie Reyes), but Ambercrombie looks the same getting a key strikeout as he probably does grocery shopping.

Currently 20 for 20 on saves/opportunities this year. His H/9 has exploded to 97 and his HR/9 is now 94. Don't remember his ERA but it's something silly, definitely sub 1.

My craziest story comes from my 2012 fantasy draft franchise. Henderson Alvarez pitched a complete game loss in an interleague game while giving up 0 hits, 0 walks, and going 2 for 3 at the plate.

I'll probably post again in this thread. Good idea OP. A place to reminisce about virtual times past.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

I had Kyle Schwarber hit something like .340 with 59 HRs. Dude hit everything in sight. I play with realistic difficulty and sliders so everyone else on my team was very pedestrian and true to their ratings. He won MVP.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-08-2020, 02:09 PM   #5
Rookie

I had a carryover franchise from 15 until 18 but I got tired of players that retired in real life becoming generic. ( I would fix the players on my team)

But Josh Hamilton was AL MVP in 2014, 1016 and 2018. The led the league in Home Runs and RBI all 4 seasons.

Mike Napoli, Prince Fielder and Adrian Beltre were all All Stars each of those seasons as well.

Joey Gallo became my everyday first basemen in 2015 and never became the masher that is in real life but hit about .280ish with about 25-30 homers per season

Nomar Mazara, Lewis Brinson and Rougned Odor we’re traded to Seattle for Robinson Cano

Derek Holland, Martin Perez and Neftali Feliz all became super studs with ratings over 90 and the first 2 led the rangers in wins/starts/era until the end and feliz led the league in saves every season I played.

Yu Darvish and Cole Hamels both had good seasons in 2014 and 2015 but both regressed a ton in 2016 with era over 5 and left via free agency.

I drafted a pitcher named Michael Jackson in the first round in 2017 and was an A prospect but he never got above a 72 overall. I tried to bring him up to the majors but he was never any good for me.

The last “Season” I played in mlb 18 the show was 2022. The Rangers won World Series in 2015, 2017, 2020 and 2021. I lost the wild card game to Toronto in 2014, I lost the ALDS to the twins in 2016, Lost to the Yankees in the ALCS IN 2018, Lost wild card game to the Rays in 2019, and lost the 2022 World Series to the Mets.

Champions and WS MVP by season
2014 Blue Jays over Dodgers Josh Donaldson MVP
2015 Rangers over Cubs Mike Napoli MVP
2016 Dodgers Over Twins Matt Kemp MVP
2017 Rangers over Dodgers Elvis Andrus MVP
2018 Yankees over Dodgers Gary Sanchez MVP
2019 Dodgers over Rays Kike Hernandez MVP
2020 Rangers over Cardinals Adrian Beltre MVP
2021 Rangers over Dodgers Josh Hamilton MVP
2022 Mets over Rangers Bryce Harper MVP

MLB The Show loves the Dodgers lol

Last edited by bscott14; 04-08-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitstreak13
Hello everyone,

Do you only okay the franchise during the current year or do you just keep it going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #7
MVP

hitstreak13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Hmm I have a few stories. My most recent one is Roger Ambercrombie. LH late reliever who never shows much in terms of emotion but leapfrogged all of my "future closers" and guys with the actual CP position and even chased my long time closer out of the spot to become my current closer.

Dude is cool as a cucumber. The rest of my backend bullpen shows a ton of emotion (especially predicted future closer Ozzie Reyes), but Ambercrombie looks the same getting a key strikeout as he probably does grocery shopping.

Currently 20 for 20 on saves/opportunities this year. His H/9 has exploded to 97 and his HR/9 is now 94. Don't remember his ERA but it's something silly, definitely sub 1.

My craziest story comes from my 2012 fantasy draft franchise. Henderson Alvarez pitched a complete game loss in an interleague game while giving up 0 hits, 0 walks, and going 2 for 3 at the plate.

I'll probably post again in this thread. Good idea OP. A place to reminisce about virtual times past.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app

Nicely done! I had Tyler Anderson in 14 had a monster spring (0.00 ERA, 17 K in 16 innings). Made the #4 SP. However:

- First start of the year lasts 2 innings as he messed up his shoulder.
- Was shelled in AAA that year so never brought him back up (wanted to give him 2 rehab starts but damn, if I remember his WHIP was like 4 and ERA in the 20's so wasn't going to do it).
- in 15, was shelled again so demoted him to AA at end of year.
- in 16, ended his AA campaign with a 5-11 record with a 5.66 ERA. Put him in A as he has progressed albeit a much much slower pace.
- Was not signed for 2017
- Now in AA for the Angels organization in 19. Crazy he hasn't seen MLB action since 14.

I love this game man. That's just one guy's journey through the carry over feature (which is the best invention in game history)
Old 04-08-2020, 03:55 PM   #8
MVP

hitstreak13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep10
Do you only okay the franchise during the current year or do you just keep it going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do 1 franchise per iteration. Never done more than 1.

Reason I am behind is because, like I mentioned, I missed the post season 3 times so I had to take a few breaks during my 102 loss season in 2017. Man, looking at that save, Nolan missed about 60 games, Cargo 40, D.J. missed about 50, Blackmon missed about a month as well. I was so desperate that Christian Adames was my everyday second baseman while Rafael Ynoa (who!?? lol) had 202 PA at 3B. Story and Paulsen were my 3-4 hitters for a chunk of the season. Didn't help my starter ERA was just a tad above 5. Bullpen was completely run down due to heavy usage.

Heck, I dont know how real managers handle losing 100+ games. I had a hard time in the game lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »