Home

Baserunning Help

This is a discussion on Baserunning Help within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Baserunning Help

I think my age is finally showing as I can’t seem to get the baserunning down....I can’t tell you how many games I have lost as I end up with runners turning around from
Scoring as I try to return or stop one runner behind him, or end up with multiple guys on a base.

When it says point the L stick at them and hit L1 or R1, is that point at the base they are going to , or starting from?

Would anyone be kind enough to break down exactly how to control multiple runners with examples.

Any appreciation would be so appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
MVP

GR5Noles's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Baserunning Help

You can either hold L1/R1 and that will advance/retreat all baserunners, but you need to hold it as they round the base to get them to advance.

Or you can point the left stick at the base runner you want and press Circle, Triangle, Square, X to have them advance/retreat whichever base you choose
Old 04-18-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 9

Also realize that if you decide to Advance All, you need to be aware of faster runners.

Example:
You have a 35 speed guy at first and you hit a gapper with a 92 speed guy. Sometimes when yo try to advance that 35 speed to the plate, if you use the L1 button your faster runner may be rounding a base prior to your 35 speed, thereby getting both guys in no man’s land...

In the instance, you are better served to push the Lstick towards the runner coming from second base (Lstick Up) and press the X button(home) to send him.

When you become more advanced and comfortable, you can tell a faster runner right out of the box on a gap hit that you want him going for a triple. So in Fenway, a ball hit to the triangle with a 95 speed runner has. A great chance to be a triple, so as he is rounding first, Lstick to right (first base was the last base he touched) and hit the square button to tell him to go for three.

Your mistake in your example was pressing the Lstick towards a runner, and using the L1/R1 buttons. Those Advance All buttons override any Lstick input and you’ll have everyone who has run past the base the occupy, now advancing... East to run into double/triple plays when this happens.
Hope this helps.
~syf

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
Also realize that if you decide to Advance All, you need to be aware of faster runners.

Example:
You have a 35 speed guy at first and you hit a gapper with a 92 speed guy. Sometimes when yo try to advance that 35 speed to the plate, if you use the L1 button your faster runner may be rounding a base prior to your 35 speed, thereby getting both guys in no man’s land...

In the instance, you are better served to push the Lstick towards the runner coming from second base (Lstick Up) and press the X button(home) to send him.

When you become more advanced and comfortable, you can tell a faster runner right out of the box on a gap hit that you want him going for a triple. So in Fenway, a ball hit to the triangle with a 95 speed runner has. A great chance to be a triple, so as he is rounding first, Lstick to right (first base was the last base he touched) and hit the square button to tell him to go for three.

Your mistake in your example was pressing the Lstick towards a runner, and using the L1/R1 buttons. Those Advance All buttons override any Lstick input and you’ll have everyone who has run past the base the occupy, now advancing... East to run into double/triple plays when this happens.
Hope this helps.
~syf

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Thanks guys. You both summed up my two problems. Having a slower runner ahead of a faster runner gets me in trouble, as well as as running into double plays using L1/R1 on hits time the wall where instead of scoring 1-2 runs, I get nothing and a double play.

This description above is helpful, I will work on it today...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »