Home

Ben Ross Breaks Down Top Player Gameplay

This is a discussion on Ben Ross Breaks Down Top Player Gameplay within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #1
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Ben Ross Breaks Down Top Player Gameplay

Sleeveless Gaming with a Ben Ross gameplay breakdown video of an online top player. Part 1 below and Part 2 coming today I do believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx5rslufOrk
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC

Last edited by Fiddy; 04-20-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Ben Ross Breaks Down Top Player Gameplay

Crickets... LOL

It's funny, we all complain about Devs not communicating etc. He breaks down this guys game play and explains how the game works in areas where we all have complained and what not.

But that just shows how much we don't really care anymore. This has been the slowest year here on these NHL boards that i came remember.

I really feel like NHL 20 is the best game they have put out since NHL 14 but its obvious they lost people over 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 04-22-2020, 11:03 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 24

Yeah, I love NHL20, gameplay has its issues but it's a really fun game. I hate the new presentation package but that can get re-worked yearly anyways. It's funny because I think overall the team has put way more work and care into franchise mode than SCEA has put into The Show. Frankly I think NHL has the deepest and most satisfying franchise mode outside of 2k. The fog of war is awesome. And on-ice it's a fun game. I'm excited to see what the next gen brings this series, as I hope that paves the way for goaltender improvements and deeper strategy improvements.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #4
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

OVR: 0

The video good, it just didn't really give me any new information. Basically debunked the "ice tilt" people and explained why always looking for the one-timer can be the reason why you're not scoring more goals. I think they need to drive the meta towards moving the puck quick and playing on-puck defense even MORE than it is right now, and that starts with making DSS more viable/less risky, cleaning up the AI so they actually cover basic zones assuming the user hasn't pulled them, and making screen effect even HIGHER so it promotes shooting the puck quick, reading screens, and creating chaos in the offensive zone.

The disappointing part of the video was that neither player did anything special offensively, nor did they do anything egregiously wrong defensively, yet it was an 11-goal game. The meta and the AI still have a long way to go, but at least we've been given solid proof (if we didn't already) to stop giving "ice tilters" the time of day.

Hoping next-gen can give us a much improved AI, and way better presentations packages/elements because I see myself playing this OFFLINE for the foreseeable future, and those two areas are what breaks immersion for me the most. Especially after seeing DJNeo's work on 2KHS with the AI, I'm expecting a lot more from AAA developers who have been given loads of videos for years highlighting shortcoming of their AI.

Ben has been very active on the forums lately. It's been fun seeing the community actually utilize him for discussions rather than just complaining. He obviously has a ton of insight and is really passionate about the game. We need to keep supporting him and showing him that there are constructive people who care.

Last edited by The EVHL; 04-28-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:15 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Hey Fiddy, I agree I have played this version more than any other. The game is playing pretty good but one thing I would like to see is more goal variety. It just seems like the goals all look alike after awhile.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #6
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

It's the best game in years, but I think I'm just tired of EA hockey. I watched a little bit, but the NHL youtubers mostly act like 2 year olds when they have to stop sucking their thumb. Not very entertaining. One thing that does bug me about this series is that the cpu overrides so much to the point of not knowing whether I made a mistake or the cpu. I've had plenty of passes go the opposite direction of where I was aiming and things like that (especially poke checks!)

I will add this, if they let Ben Ross have more control it would be a much more organic product. Sales numbers should show how Fortnite dances, constantly screaming commentary and the other non hockey features how it's not working. The HUT guys are going to spend money because it's an addiction and it's legal, so it would be nice if they would throw us more sim type guys a bone.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:38 AM   #7
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipNotiiC_x
Hoping next-gen can give us a much improved AI, and way better presentations packages/elements because I see myself online playing this online for the foreseeable future, and those two areas are what breaks immersion for me the most. Especially after seeing DJNeo's work on 2KHS with the AI, I'm expecting a lot more from AAA developers who have been given loads of videos for years highlighting shortcoming of their AI.
Not trying to be negative or snarky so sorry if it comes across this way, but this seems to be something I've heard before. If the effort the EA higher ups put into NHL 15 is any indication, they could care less about giving this franchise any help.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader
Hey Fiddy, I agree I have played this version more than any other. The game is playing pretty good but one thing I would like to see is more goal variety. It just seems like the goals all look alike after awhile.
goal variety online is awful. I have been able to get some great goal variety offline due to sliders. Seeing a decent amount of tips, rebounds, one-timers, and first-shot snipes through screens as well.

I remember used to thinking 6s was pretty "realistic" hockey for a video game until I finally dove into the offline sliders in 18. Totally killed online for me once you realize how much more the meta could be tuned and steered towards realistic hockey, but they choose to amp up acceleration and puck control for the "elite" who are so good, they can't even figure out how to pass the puck and support the puck lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »