Home

PCI placement with Zone Hitting

This is a discussion on PCI placement with Zone Hitting within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #1
Rookie

buziii's Arena

OVR: 0
PCI placement with Zone Hitting

I've played MLBTS for several years and had settled on Directional Hitting. I decided to give Zone Hitting another try a couple of weeks ago and would like some insights to help me. First of all, I'm older, slower reflexes, and have no desire to become an expert at this game. I'd just like to make hitting a bit easier for me.

Do most "normal" zone hitters chase the pitch around the zone with their PCI or put in an area pre-pitch and wait for their pitch? I don't think I can move it around successfully during the pitch. I tend to lean it a bit lower than middle to influence getting it in the air, unless I want a ground ball. I'll lean it even lower with a low-ball pitcher, or if I anticipate a low pitch with two strikes.

Does it make sense to lean it inside to try to influence opposite field hitting?

I'd appreciate some insights on approaches for zone hitters.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
Rookie

FindingTim's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: PCI placement with Zone Hitting

I find myself "guessing" pre-pitch based on a hunch - but honestly, even if I guess the pitch type and location, it's still a challenge to time it correctly and keep the PCI in the right spot.

With a guy like Kluber I'll keep it a little lower in the zone, sort of prep for the sinker, and work from there.

Take this with a grain of salt. I've been winning with pitching, but my hitting is challenged. I probably go yard once every 10 games or so.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #3
Rookie

MightyMaxxx13's Arena

OVR: 2

I’ve been using zone for the past few years, playing consistently on hall of fame and occasionally online as well. I find I have to change my approach every so often to break out of slumps, but for the most part I’m trying to keep the PCI near the middle of the plate and looking for a fastball. If you start hunting pitches on the edges of the plate you’ll get into the habit of jerking the PCI. Trust me, it’s much more frustrating to miss a meatball because you jerked the PCI down than to chase a slider off the plate every so often (or pretty often, if you’re me).

Also, don’t watch the PCI. Watch the pitcher through the duration of his delivery. Track the ball out of his hand and follow its path all the way into the zone. If you have to, take batting practice in practice mode for 20 minutes before hopping into a game.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:18 PM   #4
Rookie

I'm in a similar spot. I'm not great with the sticks, and always had issues tracking the ball. I don't know if the PCI getting sliced made the difference, or if something in the mechanics changed, but it's been easier to track the ball and move the PCI this year. I have my PCI set to fade outer/center 3 dots, leaving only the middle visible. I'll typically hover towards the bottom of the zone. I find it easier to move the pci up than down.
Old 04-24-2020, 05:26 PM   #5
Pro

My problem with guessing is when I guess correctly I'm like holy crap I'm gonna kill it only to swing way to early.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #6
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

My issue is my inability to lay off pitches I know I can do anything with. Particularly fastballs up and out of the zone and off-speed down in the zone. My chase % must be through the roof. I do have guess pitch disabled as well.

All that said, while I occasionally will play a game on Analog or Directional, I do find zone hitting by far the most fun and rewarding method to play with.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #7
Rookie

buziii's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMaxxx13
Also, don’t watch the PCI. Watch the pitcher through the duration of his delivery. Track the ball out of his hand and follow its path all the way into the zone. If you have to, take batting practice in practice mode for 20 minutes before hopping into a game.
Yes, I focus on the pitcher and his release I fade all the PCI elements to make it easier to focus on the pitch. I don't try to move the PCI during the pitch. I do notice in the post-pitch feedback, the PCI apparently moves, typically up. Maybe I unintentionally move it up when I'm pushing the swing button. So I'm focusing on keeping the controller still when swinging. Easier said than done.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:05 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

I think the best way to do it is the put the PCI in the upper part of the zone pre-pitch. That way if the pitch is up, you’re already there. If the pitch is down the middle, you just let go, and if the pitch is low you just push down. So you really are only moving the PCI down on low pitches so you’re now worried about jerking the PCI all over the place.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »