Home

New to the game: Question About Shooting Mechanics

This is a discussion on New to the game: Question About Shooting Mechanics within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2020, 05:31 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 10
New to the game: Question About Shooting Mechanics

Pardon the basic question, but I haven't owned an NBA game since NBA 2K8. Not 2K18; NBA 2008/2K8. So my senses are overloading. Doesn't help that I'm a middle-aged father of four; my mental agility ain't what it used to be.

So quick question: When I shoot the ball, should I wait until the controller vibrates to release the shot, or is that too late? I'm playing on lower levels right now (Pro), and it seems to be working, but I'd like to know before I try any of the higher difficulties.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2020, 11:04 PM   #2
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: New to the game: Question About Shooting Mechanics

I don't think many use the vibration as the indicator. The reason is probably because most play online. Lag could hurt that indicator. But lag could kill anything lol

Most use the shot meter. And then after that you use the visual cue (some like to watch the legs and others like to watch the wrist). If you play offline. You might want to look into changing the sliders.

I hope that helped!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
MVP

jk31's Arena

OVR: 0

Just to jump in: You say that using the vibration feedback is not that viable online because of input lag. But why is the Shotmeter then a viable alternative? There is also input lag there?
Old 05-27-2020, 03:20 PM   #4
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
Just to jump in: You say that using the vibration feedback is not that viable online because of input lag. But why is the Shotmeter then a viable alternative? There is also input lag there?
I guess that's what I meant by "Lag can kill anything" my bad I should of explained more there.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:17 PM   #5
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr
Pardon the basic question, but I haven't owned an NBA game since NBA 2K8. Not 2K18; NBA 2008/2K8. So my senses are overloading. Doesn't help that I'm a middle-aged father of four; my mental agility ain't what it used to be.

So quick question: When I shoot the ball, should I wait until the controller vibrates to release the shot, or is that too late? I'm playing on lower levels right now (Pro), and it seems to be working, but I'd like to know before I try any of the higher difficulties.
The vibration gives you a better timing window in my opinion. The meter doesn't seem to be 1 to 1. You can think you hit the button before it hits the line and it'll still go over and become a slightly late release.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2020, 06:33 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

The shot meter has been badly out of sync with most of the scoring animations in the game since 2K19.

The controller vibration that they added this year is more in sync than 2K20's unreliable shot meters. You can move the meter by your feet or by your hands but it really doesn't matter since they're both so messed up.

The best move after you get used to it is to just play with everything turned off and look at the animations themselves to find your release cue. You might struggle with it for a week or two but once you get it down your field goal percentage should go up significantly.

Last edited by jyoung; 05-28-2020 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:23 AM   #7
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
The vibration gives you a better timing window in my opinion. The meter doesn't seem to be 1 to 1. You can think you hit the button before it hits the line and it'll still go over and become a slightly late release.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yeah, Opinions are going to vary lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
The shot meter has been badly out of sync with most of the scoring animations in the game since 2K19.

The controller vibration that they added this year is more in sync than 2K20's unreliable shot meters. You can move the meter by your feet or by your hands but it really doesn't matter since they're both so messed up.

The best move after you get used to it is to just play with everything turned off and look at the animations themselves to find your release cue. You might struggle with it for a week or two but once you get it down your field goal percentage should go up significantly.
I was going to suggest turning it off. But he seem brand new.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »