Home

SDS Full Minor League Rosters are embarrassing

This is a discussion on SDS Full Minor League Rosters are embarrassing within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
Rookie

Holy Toledo's Arena

OVR: 0
SDS Full Minor League Rosters are embarrassing

One of the most exciting additions to MLB the Show 20 was Full Minor League Rosters. Many people have written about how the rosters were a disappointment but lets take a quick look at how bad and honestly embarrassing the Full Minor League Rosters SDS created really are.

If you create a franchise with the default rosters and go to the Top Prospects tab here are the top 10 overall prospects:

#1 C HOU Korey Lee
#2 SS KC Bobby Witt
#3 SS SD CJ Abrams
#4 CF ARI Corbin Carroll
#5 SP KC Kris Bubic
#6 3B BOS Triston Casas
#7 SS HOU Jeremy Pena
#8 3B LAD Kody Hoese
#9 RF MIA JJ Bleday
#10 SP CLE Daniel Espino

Out of these 10 prospects only Bobby Witt Jr. actually ranks in MLB Pipelines top 10. Only 4 of these top 10 are even ranked on MLB Pipelines top 100 overall. This year every major prospect site has SS Wander Franco as the clear #1 overall prospect in baseball. SDS has Franco as the #38 prospect and has 11 other shortstops ranked ahead of him!

As for the SDS #1 overall prospect a 1-1 trade of Korey Lee would net you players such as Rafael Devers, Ketel Marte or Vlad Jr according to the games trade logic. Korey Lee is Houston's #8 overall prospect with a 45 potential grade out of a possible 80 according to MLB Pipeline. In 2019 Lee played 64 games of short season ball and hit .268 with 3 home runs, 6 doubles and 28 RBI. Lee along with Bubic, Pena, Hoese and Espino are not even ranked in their own teams top #4 prospects let alone top 10 in the game.

You could go on and on breaking down just how terrible these default Full Minor League Rosters are. Or how they are so unbalanced the game completes dozens of trades during the opening week to try and balance them out. Or how some top prospects are completely missing (paperwork I know).

Of course prospect rankings are always going to be educated guesses based on projections by so called experts. But SDS either failed to spend 5 minutes reviewing their Full Minor League Rosters or their staff believe's players like Korey Lee and Jeremy Pena are the future of baseball and are better prospects than Wander Franco and Jo Adell. I am not sure which outcome is worse.

Last edited by Holy Toledo; 06-03-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: SDS Full Minor League Rosters are embarrassing

that bothered me less than the fake single A players, I rerated the potential of players who haven't debuted yet according to the Baseball America Prospect Handbook. I still think Orioles top prospect catcher Rutschman should have been closer to a 60 overall than a 70 overall. personal preference though. what I wound up doing was swapping out the real free agent players with the fake single A players. hopefully next year will be better default product. I'm not willing to say the default is a total embarrassment for a first effort but instead give it somewhere around a C+, or if I'm feeling generous, a B-

A Work in Progress
Old 06-04-2020, 11:43 PM   #3
Rookie

sharkdaballer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
that bothered me less than the fake single A players, I rerated the potential of players who haven't debuted yet according to the Baseball America Prospect Handbook. I still think Orioles top prospect catcher Rutschman should have been closer to a 60 overall than a 70 overall. personal preference though. what I wound up doing was swapping out the real free agent players with the fake single A players. hopefully next year will be better default product. I'm not willing to say the default is a total embarrassment for a first effort but instead give it somewhere around a C+, or if I'm feeling generous, a B-
It's definitely an embarrassment based on the fact that the CPU will complete dozens of trades within the first week of a franchise to even out the teams' positions. They either didn't test franchise or they did test it but didn't do anything about it. Props to Ridin Rosters and other roster creators for giving us rosters that were evened out
Old 06-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkdaballer
It's definitely an embarrassment based on the fact that the CPU will complete dozens of trades within the first week of a franchise to even out the teams' positions. They either didn't test franchise or they did test it but didn't do anything about it. Props to Ridin Rosters and other roster creators for giving us rosters that were evened out
I could be mistaken, but I thought I read that Ridin joined SDS and helped/created the default roster. I know he never messed with ratings, so that might be a SDS thing, but I believe he was involved in creating the roster.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 06-07-2020, 12:05 PM   #5
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
I could be mistaken, but I thought I read that Ridin joined SDS and helped/created the default roster. I know he never messed with ratings, so that might be a SDS thing, but I believe he was involved in creating the roster.
The first thing I did was go thru the roster that came with the game. I really think, for me, that many of the faces are poorly done. I've already replaced many CAPS using faces created by some geniuses in the vault (wish I had their talent). I also found the same awful looking faces on many different players. (duplicates/triplicates, etc.) Don't know what happened, but the roster was nothing to write home about (from a graphical standpoint).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
MVP

Rmiok222's Arena

Yeah it was pretty bad. I was so excited to just start a franchise day 1, that didn’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-07-2020, 05:15 PM   #7
Banned

You mean SDS overpromised and under delivered?

No way....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2020, 05:10 AM   #8
Rookie

Chad211's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar
The first thing I did was go thru the roster that came with the game. I really think, for me, that many of the faces are poorly done. I've already replaced many CAPS using faces created by some geniuses in the vault (wish I had their talent). I also found the same awful looking faces on many different players. (duplicates/triplicates, etc.) Don't know what happened, but the roster was nothing to write home about (from a graphical standpoint).

Really poor game design and choice of game design as well as fans stadiums and coaches why all these details witch are a big part of baseball and the difference between making a great game and a poorly designed game were once again highly neglected is something I do not understand. The fans look like aliens and so do a great deal of the players along with a ton of player details that are part of a player’s appearance and have always been is just a poor and rushed game cycle from the developers once again. It’s really disappointing, the lack of attention to detail in this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »