Home

PS5: Stop Displacing Defenders

This is a discussion on PS5: Stop Displacing Defenders within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2020, 11:04 AM   #1
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
PS5: Stop Displacing Defenders

#1-ANY and ALL of my suggestions are specifically and only related to Play Now Online.

IMO one of the biggest advances the next gen hardware can make is moving away from a paradigm where offensive animations displace defenders to allow drives to the basket. Implementing accurate physics are probably the hardest part of game design, but it would improve the game by leaps and bounds.

Elite offensive players regularly do THIS while defensive players slide backwards:

The failed Drive to Key that doesnt go around the defender is more blatant contact that should have a 50% Charge Outcome:

Are collisions part of basketball? SURE. But they simply MUST HAVE more negative outcomes. 2K17 had a great balance where turboing into defenders ran the risk of Charges. Offensive players have to run the risk of Offensive Fouls (and defenders should get in position to draw them) Dribble Pickups and Losing the ball when they drive straight into defenders. We should also see defenders hold their ground rather than sliding back like we see currently:

More of this, please:

In addition, defending must be more user-friendly. I've advocated for years for a balanced contest that triggers when you point the right stick as the offensive player shoots. This would improve gameplay and do away with the head-scratching instances where our defenders stop their momentum on contests.

We should see contextual contests when we have good timing on defense--our players are defending the shot attempt, not a spot on the floor like below:

Balance would also reward savvy offensive players. I get faked out of my shoes here--and I should. Bad timing on contests should have the defender contest in that direction--and cause you to lose defensive position:

Here's another Up/Under that fooled me that should probably result in a foul 90% of the time even tho i'm contesting:

Hands Up should affect shot % the least but it should be a great defensive counter for moves like the Up/Under:

In the end, eliminating Single Outcomes and lessening the effectiveness of simply triggering animations can only make the game better.

Last edited by Kushmir; 06-26-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
MVP

wrestlinggod1's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: PS5: Stop Displacing Defenders

This has been an issue in 2K for years. I'm really hoping that it's something that will be improved with the new tech coming in the next gen consoles.

Go MIAMI Teams!!
Old 06-26-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
Pro

Vroman's Arena

OVR: 0

It got significantly worse with hof badges and takeovers. Just remove those keeping game the same and it'd get so much better.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Two more instances where the offensive player is simply turboing into the defender confident that an animation will bail them out:

Richardson strips Westbrook in the 1st clip--and we definitely need more outcomes than simply bailout fouls, especially with good defenders. Charges need to make their return and colliding with defenders needs to result in more dribble pickup and loose ball outcomes. We should also need the ability to Crowd guys in situations where their momentum is stopped, they're static or their pump-fakes have failed like below:

Russ draws a foul in the second clip, which isn't a bad outcome as he's elite going to the rim...I just don't like Thybulle sliding backwards into a foul. The eurostep's effectiveness should be based on situation. The user should be forced to "euro" to the right (Thybulle has cut off the baseline) if not? Charges, Loose Balls and Dribble Pickup outcomes....successful drives to the rim should be rare.

Last edited by Kushmir; 06-26-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #5
Rookie

Problem is they're already mo capping animations for 2k21. They're lazy bruh its embarrassing at this point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2020, 04:27 PM   #6
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

I'm fine for the most part with the displacing aspect, but the contesting a spot rather than the shot definitely annoys the hell out of me and I agree that the 2K17 system where you could draw charges just by being in the right spot and getting run over was good. Ultimately I'm afraid it was removed for a reason.

I'd definitely love to get to a more physics-based system as well, though most of the animations don't annoy me the way they do a lot of other people.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 06-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #7
Rookie

m29a's Arena

2K17 wasn't really that balanced in terms of on-ball defense. Like 2K19, it allowed the average and poor defenders to play well beyond their capabilities and continuously bump on the perimeter with ease. If the goal is for realism, then I don't know how that is considered more ideal than what 2K20 offers. 2K20 is far from perfect, but it does strike somewhat of a balance. It just doesn't let you get up close as a defender anymore, you have to pick your poison and giving up space really can help in terms of preventing drives.

Blow-bys are in the game and always will be in the game because they exist in the real games and can occur frequently. I think the bigger thing is inside shot success and whether that is too easy. Anyways, good defenders should matter and they should be able to stand their ground, but ratings and match-ups have to matter, otherwise what is the point in terms of differentiating players?

I suppose in terms of purely online play and balancing around that, then beefing up the defense across the board makes some sense. I feel like the game has struggled trying to be a mix of the two and catering to both online and offline audiences (and I know the online side is a lot bigger, I get it).
Old 06-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #8
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
I agree that the 2K17 system where you could draw charges just by being in the right spot and getting run over was good. Ultimately I'm afraid it was removed for a reason.
I thought this as well...and I was willing to trade charges/bumping for a more free-flowing game at first, but after 3 yrs of watching guys turbo with little downside i'm ready for something new. I'm hopeful we can get a game that's free flowing AND where turbo has a bigger downside.

2K17 punished you for blatantly colliding with defenders, and it was a good thing:

Moreover, there was a Redirect mechanic in 2K18 that simply wasn't used enough. It allowed freedom of movement but the defender stayed between the offensive player and the basket/prevented a straight drive to the rim.

I've got my fingers crossed that we'll see it used much more often in future versions of 2K when there isn't a mismatch on the perimeter:

2K17 also did blocking fouls really well. I'd love to see those return.

Last edited by Kushmir; 06-26-2020 at 08:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »