Home

Breath of Fresh Air

This is a discussion on Breath of Fresh Air within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
Breath of Fresh Air

If you are interested in a small distraction from the mundane, and every day grind of the MLB, fire up a Double A game, pick a Minor League stadium, and get ready for a brand new game!

Aside from cool uniforms, and the vibe of the minor league parks, the game has to be played with real strategy, and when the players' ratings hover between 50-72, you really become aware of having to play the game, position your guys, and being ready to have a quick hook with your AA pitchers.

An added bonus for the "Pull-back Homerun Camera" fans, with there being very few Signature Animations with the AA crew, you get an ample smattering of this beloved camera angle, which shows off the park, and the majestic flight of the ball.

I am absolutely LOVING playing with random AA squads, and not having a clue who is good, bad, a diamond in the rough, it really is like having a brand new game to play with.

Added extra bonus, my fielding is fixed, not an issue with fly balls or any troubles with such, and the only errors I see, are as a result of the lower-rated players, and their inherent ratings having more to do with it than a broken fielding system.

Give it a try, have fun, and enjoy!!

~syf
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2020, 11:50 AM   #2
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Breath of Fresh Air

Totally agree.

I decided I would play some of my minor league games in my franchise I've only played 2 so far but they were surprisingly fun and almost relaxing. It's a nice change of pace. Players were doing somethings that made me appreciate the big league talent even more.

Speaking of errors my guy at 3rd has a cannon and on what should have been routine outs he just sailed 2 into the crowd. I wasn't even angry I just thought well that's why you're in the minors.

Last edited by jrnlgrn; 06-27-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
MVP

What is great about the minors, and the AA squads even more so, is that the talent level is a large gap, especially on defense.

Balls that JBJ would easily track down with his +speed, fall into gaps, and you are correct, infielders are on the AA team for a reason!

I really enjoy the small crowds, and for those that say that the crowds at the MLB games are not loud or into the games as they should be, should play a few games in a 6500 seat MILB park.

Going back to Fenway is a brilliant cacophony, and really shows the attention to detail with regards to the sounds and ambiance of the game.

Main Street Field at night, with the sprawling city and huge church in left field, is a very well-rendered park, with a real chance of smashing left-field homeruns into the apartments (that folks are on their balconies watching the game!)

So well done, and might be my favorite new distraction.

~syf
Old 06-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

This is the same sort of appeal that the fictional roster approach has, in that unless you closely follow MILB you don't really know the talent that you have or are going against, and therefore you don't go in with preconceived notions of what should happen.

Sometimes the best way to enjoy a baseball game is just to play baseball.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:50 PM   #5
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
This is the same sort of appeal that the fictional roster approach has, in that unless you closely follow MILB you don't really know the talent that you have or are going against, and therefore you don't go in with preconceived notions of what should happen.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2020, 12:55 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise

I have read your posts championing the fictional rosters, and now, after really digging into the MILB games, I can see where not having preconceived notions of the player's abilities, or attributes, would make it much more fun.

I played a game this morning against the Richmond Flying Squirrels, and I faced a pitcher that was 6'11 and threw a dirty curve ball. Come to find out, after the game, I went to the MILB data base, and realized that Sean Hjelle is indeed a 6'11" guy, with a fairly dirty curveball.

Might I say that if one were to delve into the minor league foray, the Full Minors rosters with re-rates and pitch edits, is another hidden gem within this community.

It is like having a new game to play with!
~syf
Old 06-27-2020, 05:25 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

for the most part I tend to pass up the minor league experience in all my 1 and done seasons but in my carry-over Braves franchise I have played several years where I play 1 Triple A and 1 Double A game a week. with 40 man September rosters a thing of the past I look to play more Braves minor league games than ever before

A Work in Progress
Old 06-27-2020, 08:36 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm 7 1/2 years into my Pirates fantasy draft franchise from MLB 18 and I love playing the minor league games bc some of the low rates guys are so erratic especially pitchers. My AA LHP Ace is about to get cut bc he's lost his control like Rick Ankiel. I dont have a set number of minor league games I play I just play it by whim and usually by SP

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »