Home

Grading Signature Home Run Swings in MLB The Show 20: Texas Rangers Edition

This is a discussion on Grading Signature Home Run Swings in MLB The Show 20: Texas Rangers Edition within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2020, 09:08 PM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Grading Signature Home Run Swings in MLB The Show 20: Texas Rangers Edition

The Houston Astros were reviewed yesterday and it's going to be hard to top that set...

Written By: Chase Becotte

Click here to view the article.

Joey Gallo

Grade: B

Analysis: The only thing I would really change about Gallo's initial stance would be to slightly move the placement of his front foot. The bigger issue comes in on the follow through. Gallo does have a little bit of diversity to his follow through, but he should certainly have the one-handed follow through as his base swing on no-doubt home runs -- not a two-handed follow through.

As for the celebration, what's here is true to life. He does a hand to his face, then to his chest, then claps the hands, and then points to the sky with both hands. Perfection.
Shin-Soo Choo

Grade: B

Analysis: Just some minor complaints here for Shin-Soo Choo that add up to bring down the grade a bit. First off, the bat placement needs to be altered so the bat is more perpendicular to his body. From there, the leg kick needs to be increased. After that, the follow through needs to stop shorter rather than having the bat wrap around his back.
Willie Calhoun

Grade: B-

Analysis: With Willie Calhoun, it's again small things that add up. First off, he needs to choke up more. From there, he needs to be hunched over a little more and be up on the toe of his front foot. After that, the lower body needs to be less rigid so you can see Calhoun really putting that lower half into the swing as he rips the bat through the zone.
Rougned Odor

Grade: A-

Analysis: With Odor, the main thing to nail is the disdain he has for both pitcher and ball after hitting a home run. That is on full display here as he plants the bat in the ground and slowly walks out of the box using that bat like a cane. On the negative side of the ledger, his back should not be so straight and instead should hunch a little more over the plate. On top of that, the leg kick could be a bit bigger.
Danny Santana (L)

Analysis: Santana has a very simple swing, and so it's mostly accurate here. The two issues both have to do with the front foot. He really doesn't even do a leg kick, and after the swing, he comes up on his front heel more than is shown in The Show.
Danny Santana (R)

Analysis: Again, using the mirror swing from the left side is fine here because there's not much variety to Santana's swing from either side. The leg kick could be lessened a bit once more, but the follow through works better here since he doesn't usually come up on his heel as much from the right side.
Todd Frazier

Analysis: The Toddfather will be our final review, and it's a mostly positive final note. I don't really have any major qualms with the setup or the swing itself. The follow through is where I have a minor nitpick because I think Frazier overextends in The Show. His follow through should more just come around his chest rather than wrapping up higher around his neck and head before coming behind his body.

The celebration is both accurate and outdated I believe. The tip of the cap coming around third is the big thing to get and that's here. He also does something else in The Show where he taps his chest twice and then near his eyes twice. I don't believe he does this in real life anymore with any sort of regularity so maybe it's just something that Frazier did during a prior season.

Again, thanks for reading everyone and hope you enjoyed the series!

Last edited by ChaseB; 06-30-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2020, 11:58 PM   #2
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Grading Signature Home Run Swings in MLB The Show 20: Texas Rangers Edition

Only the best team in baseball...in my franchise
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »