Home

Double Play on Fly Outs

This is a discussion on Double Play on Fly Outs within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2020, 08:30 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Double Play on Fly Outs

I’m new to The Show and trying to get my head around a few rules. Something that has come up is the CPU achieving a double play on a fly out.

I had a runner on 3rd, and got a hit high over centre field. My guy on 3rd ran and got to 4th, but the ball was caught by the outfielder, who then threw it to an empty 3rd base. A double play was announced and the inning was over.

I understand why the batter was out, but why is my guy on 3rd also out? Can you not advance bases on a fly out or something?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Double Play on Fly Outs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829
I’m new to The Show and trying to get my head around a few rules. Something that has come up is the CPU achieving a double play on a fly out.

I had a runner on 3rd, and got a hit high over centre field. My guy on 3rd ran and got to 4th, but the ball was caught by the outfielder, who then threw it to an empty 3rd base. A double play was announced and the inning was over.

I understand why the batter was out, but why is my guy on 3rd also out? Can you not advance bases on a fly out or something?
You cannot advance on a fly out. If the ball is hit into the air and the fielder catches it, then you must return to the base.

What you can do however, is be standing on the base, and then after the ball is caught by the fielder, run towards the next base, in this case home (4th). That is called tagging up and if you successfully make it to the next base, the batter is credited with a sacrifice fly

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #3
MVP

forme95's Arena

You have to remain on third till he catches the ball. Then if he's deep enough and you think the runner can make it home, then send him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 07-01-2020, 08:41 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829

That is partially correct. On a fly out with less than 2 outs (including when the infield fly rule is called, but I won't get into that here as it's more complicated) the runner must either return to the base he occupies after it is caught or stay there before advancing a base. Usually, that means that balls hit to medium deep or deep OF are the only ones that will score a runner from 3rd (though some outfielders have strong enough arms to throw out even decent speed runners!). When a run scores in this fashion, it is credited as a Sacrifice Fly to the batter.

On 2 outs the rule isn't any different, but the impact of it on play changes - the inning will be over if the ball is caught which is why the runners do not need to wait around - they just run as far as they can on a fly ball.

Last edited by bcruise; 07-01-2020 at 08:47 AM. Reason: I was tunnel-visioning a bit :)
Old 07-01-2020, 09:13 AM   #5
MVP

Awesome, thanks for the quick replies!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #6
Pro

mrsaito's Arena

OVR: 1

Hey Mackrel - Glad to see you are up and running on an awesome new game. Since you are learning the ropes I thought I'd give you some free advice regarding 'tagging up'.

All baserunning scenarios will depend on both the runner's speed attribute as well as the outfielder's throwing attribute but as a rule of thumb:

- With a runner on third you may want to try and tag up whenever the flyball is 'deep' regardless of the field the ball is hit to.

- With a runner on second it is usually safe to try and tag up over to third base only when the flyball is to deep right field.

- Don't ever try and tag up from first base to second base.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsaito
Hey Mackrel - Glad to see you are up and running on an awesome new game. Since you are learning the ropes I thought I'd give you some free advice regarding 'tagging up'.

All baserunning scenarios will depend on both the runner's speed attribute as well as the outfielder's throwing attribute but as a rule of thumb:

- With a runner on third you may want to try and tag up whenever the flyball is 'deep' regardless of the field the ball is hit to.

- With a runner on second it is usually safe to try and tag up over to third base only when the flyball is to deep right field.

- Don't ever try and tag up from first base to second base.
Good to know. Thanks a lot!
Old 07-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #8
Rookie

I thought this was going to be a thread about how the AI players venture too far off the base and are extremely slow getting back on a caught flyball. I've thrown out a number of guys at 1st and 2nd after catching a ball in the OF.

It's cool to see someone using The Show to learn the game of baseball. Enjoy!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »