Home

I think I'm done....

This is a discussion on I think I'm done.... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
I think I'm done....

I seriously don't think I can play this game anymore. There are too many forces at work under the hood for this to feel like I'm playing anything more than an interactive movie at this point. I mostly play with classic pitching and directional hitting, so I may be bringing this on myself, but after about 70 games straight in my franchise I've seen the game engine play out the same scenarios too often for me to ignore at this point.

-Multiple errors in the same half-inning by gold/diamond fielders
-Constant popouts/liners at fielders with good hitters/inputs
-Giving up weird bloop hits off soft contact that I never have gotten as a hitter
-Baserunners either being psychic or blatantly refusing to respond to my inputs
-Infield hits 2 inches in front of the plate that my silver-fielding catchers move in slow motion towards and get beaten out by half a step
-Suddenly not being able to throw a strike until a run is given up then immediately becoming Nolan Ryan
-Groundballs against me always being *just* out of reach while it feels like I'm aiming directly at the other team
-Not being able to hit water off a boat for 7 innings and then having batting practice for the last 2
-CPU sending out relievers with no stamina or confidence and striking out the side
-Predetermined HRs within the first 4-5 pitches of my SP losing stamina

The list goes on and on. I've played consistently since 2018, but mostly simming/GMing while playing maybe 5-10 games throughout the season. This is my first time attempting to complete an entire season and it's bringing all the game engine's flaws to light. Some of these can be written off as game mechanics or user error or sliders or settings changes or whatever you want, but there are just too many factors involved for me to feel any control. Every game is one long cutscene that I get to press a couple buttons in. In a time where video games are supposed to provide a level of escapism, it feels as out of control as real life at this point.

Pardon the long post, just needed to vent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
Rookie

Beastboy2335's Arena

Re: I think I'm done....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseJoseph9119
I seriously don't think I can play this game anymore. There are too many forces at work under the hood for this to feel like I'm playing anything more than an interactive movie at this point. I mostly play with classic pitching and directional hitting, so I may be bringing this on myself, but after about 70 games straight in my franchise I've seen the game engine play out the same scenarios too often for me to ignore at this point.

-Multiple errors in the same half-inning by gold/diamond fielders
-Constant popouts/liners at fielders with good hitters/inputs
-Giving up weird bloop hits off soft contact that I never have gotten as a hitter
-Baserunners either being psychic or blatantly refusing to respond to my inputs
-Infield hits 2 inches in front of the plate that my silver-fielding catchers move in slow motion towards and get beaten out by half a step
-Suddenly not being able to throw a strike until a run is given up then immediately becoming Nolan Ryan
-Groundballs against me always being *just* out of reach while it feels like I'm aiming directly at the other team
-Not being able to hit water off a boat for 7 innings and then having batting practice for the last 2
-CPU sending out relievers with no stamina or confidence and striking out the side
-Predetermined HRs within the first 4-5 pitches of my SP losing stamina

The list goes on and on. I've played consistently since 2018, but mostly simming/GMing while playing maybe 5-10 games throughout the season. This is my first time attempting to complete an entire season and it's bringing all the game engine's flaws to light. Some of these can be written off as game mechanics or user error or sliders or settings changes or whatever you want, but there are just too many factors involved for me to feel any control. Every game is one long cutscene that I get to press a couple buttons in. In a time where video games are supposed to provide a level of escapism, it feels as out of control as real life at this point.

Pardon the long post, just needed to vent.
A little bit of reality and positivity for you. I felt this way a yr or 2 ago after playing on classic/directional and I must say making the jump to at least meter pitching is terrific. You get more control on the speed, accuracy, and feel of being in the driver's seat. The jump from directional to zone hitting is a big skill gap (and will take a lot of practice) but has produced a lot more control in my hitting as well and therefore eliminating that helplessness you feel

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-12-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
Banned

I've been playing the game since '08 on meter.
The exact same garbage happens there too. Is it better than classic? Yes. But literally almost every single thing you mentioned happens there too. It's a flawed engine, simple as that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
Banned

The overall game engine sucks.

You'll see the cpu routinely do things that you wish you could pull off.

The more games you play the more you feel like you're getting conned and have little control over the outcome.

You can also see it coming before it happens a lot of the times.

It's just not a fun game.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
MVP

forme95's Arena

I'll never be done with this game bc it's the only game I play.

I am frustrated with some of the engine/mechanics/AI of the game too. To many (mostly CPU simmed) 15+ per team hit games. To many 27+ pitches per innings. Which lead to pitchers not being able to get past 5 innings but some how CPU simmed games still have no problem putting triple the amount of real life complete games a season. Ya you can fix some what with sliders, but I want to set and forget sliders, not adjust before I play, adjust when this or that happens.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2020, 04:29 PM   #6
Banned

One of the biggest issues with sliders is that every single patch changes gameplay, so the perpetual tweaking becomes a game all in its own.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #7
MVP

forme95's Arena

I've had the same final sliders since the first patch. The gameplay hasn't changed.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 07-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
I've had the same final sliders since the first patch. The gameplay hasn't changed.

I haven't

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »