Home

Skater XL Available Now - Watch the Launch Trailer Here and Post Your Impressions

This is a discussion on Skater XL Available Now - Watch the Launch Trailer Here and Post Your Impressions within the Skateboarding forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Skateboarding
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Skater XL Available Now - Watch the Launch Trailer Here and Post Your Impressions

The day has finally arrived. Skater XL is available now on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and...

Written By: Steve Noah

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2020, 08:16 PM   #2
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
whoa, looks cool.* hopefully there's a demo at some point.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Skater XL Available Now - Watch the Launch Trailer Here and Post Your Impressions

I bought it.

I'm having to re-wire my brain for the controls.

Every single game I've ever played, left stick was movement, right stick was camera.

In this game, the sticks only control your feet. You turn with the trigger buttons. Never played the EA Skate series, so it's taking some serious getting used to.

Other than that, it's a great looking game. I just need the practice lol.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
Rookie

KeyserSoze15's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Skater XL Available Now - Watch the Launch Trailer Here and Post Your Impressions

Game should only have been 30 bucks and that is being generous. Very disappointed in this. The maps are boring. The physics are awful. Character is awful when he crashes. No ability to walk with your guy. Barely any cool jumps. If I could get a refund I would. I played all the Skate games. For 2020 this game sums it up on the garbage this year has been.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:39 AM   #5
Rookie

I bought it and played a couple of hours over the last two days. The controls are unique. When they work, it looks and feels nice. But too often it doesn't. The maps feel lifeless. I'm not getting a sense of atmosphere (if that makes sense). I liked the tutorial in the beginning. But afterwards it just kinda feels like the game just drops you in like "ok".

I will say this is a good base game to build from with the controls. It takes a while to get used to. Especially if you've played a lot of the Skate franchise. But it actually feels like a natural evolution.

Overall, I'd only recommend this to people who are hardcore into skateboarding. Because honestly, it's really the only thing to do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2020, 10:26 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze15
Game should only have been 30 bucks and that is being generous. Very disappointed in this. The maps are boring. The physics are awful. Character is awful when he crashes. No ability to walk with your guy. Barely any cool jumps. If I could get a refund I would. I played all the Skate games. For 2020 this game sums it up on the garbage this year has been.
Why can't you get a refund? If you got it through steam, you can get a refund on any game lol
Old 07-31-2020, 03:48 AM   #7
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze15
Are you sure you can't get off your board?

I'm personally more into Session, myself. It's significantly less polished than Skater XL, but it's a much better skateboarding simulator, especially with some of the other hardcore controls you can make yourself use (like sticking a landing from a higher height, on top of catching your board and everything else involved).
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 08-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #8
Rookie

clwnbby's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Are you sure you can't get off your board?

I'm personally more into Session, myself. It's significantly less polished than Skater XL, but it's a much better skateboarding simulator, especially with some of the other hardcore controls you can make yourself use (like sticking a landing from a higher height, on top of catching your board and everything else involved).
Yeah, there's no getting off of your board. There's a button to push that will let you move around the map, find a spot, and drop you where you want. A quick travel type of system.

So far, I'm loving the game. I knew going into it that it was going to be a skateboarding simulator, instead of something closer to Skate. The day it came out, I invited three or four friends over and we took turns playing it for 6 hours, trying to get basic nosegrinds down handrails and heelflips over stair sets. I've had a busy week, so I haven't been able to play it for a minute, but I really dig it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Skateboarding »