Home

Shouldn't the Floater work like THIS?

This is a discussion on Shouldn't the Floater work like THIS? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Shouldn't the Floater work like THIS?

You guys know i'm all for controls being intuitive, dynamic and responsive. I was playing a guy the other day and this happened:

Sweet right? He shakes me and PG does a nice floater for a score. Thing is, I don't think he did it on purpose...and its really a shame. The current floater controls are super clunky--they're not intuitive either. You guys hoop. You're going to the rim and sometimes you have too much momentum to stop and pull up so you gently toss the floater up. Why not replicate that?...Make the floater a quick flick towards the rim while moving towards the basket in the midrange area.

This would differentiate it from a dunk or layup but would make it responsive enough to avoid rim protectors. here's a reminder of how floaters look:

So that isn't too high percentage give it a badge and then guys like Lowry, Dame, CP3 and Curry can be better threats going to the rim without breaking the game. So its conversion rate isn't ridiculous guys with a gold badge should convert at a 50-55% rate when contested if you have a good release. Greens should be rare.

Last edited by Kushmir; 02-16-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Shouldn't the Floater work like THIS?

Since I'm a big fan of the floater in real life, I always wanted to see effective floater mechanics implemented in the game. Right now, the animations for it are way too slow, so a pull up is almost always the better choice.

I see the danger of making it too easy to score through floaters though. As you said: you don't want to break the game, so it has to be very well balanced.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
Pro

El_Tercero's Arena

So that first clip is you trying to attempt a layup/dunk, but instead PG does the floater/cross key scorer animation. Which is a beautiful floater.

However in 2K when you actually attempt to do the floater animation, similar to the second clip, the animations are too long and hard to time making them not as effective. If they would change the floater animations to be a lot quicker as they should be, then it would make smaller guards much more effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-31-2020, 02:25 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

I may be totally wrong here but as far as i remember 2k16 was at a better spot on floaters...
Old 07-31-2020, 02:44 PM   #5
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Tercero
So that first clip is you trying to attempt a layup/dunk, but instead PG does the floater/cross key scorer animation. Which is a beautiful floater.

However in 2K when you actually attempt to do the floater animation, similar to the second clip, the animations are too long and hard to time making them not as effective. If they would change the floater animations to be a lot quicker as they should be, then it would make smaller guards much more effective.
Yeah speed and intuitive is really the goal--the current floater controls lack that. And no, I was Philly lol. I'm the one on defense. Still, I saw the play and thought "Now THAT'S how a floater should look."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2020, 03:22 PM   #6
Pro

El_Tercero's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Yeah speed and intuitive is really the goal--the current floater controls lack that. And no, I was Philly lol. I'm the one on defense. Still, I saw the play and thought "Now THAT'S how a floater should look."

My bad! But yea sometimes I’ve tried to attempt a layup or dunk but then I get that floater animation and the floater badge popping up.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-31-2020, 06:37 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 9

Yes floaters and runners are slow and somewhat ineffective in 2K.

You used to be able to edit floaters and choose them.

Most players shoot floaters 15 ft and below, 2K wants it start at15-17 ft.

Last edited by keshunleon; 07-31-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #8
Pro

Yeah, the floater animations have stuck in my craw for a long time, they are completely useless. Every once in a while you can get a good one but it is way to risky to use them because you can't always control the animation you get and the vast majority of them are way to slow and horrible. For the last few years it is always a better decision to build a player with a high mid and use the pull up rather then rely on the floater.

Someone mentioned 2k16 and that might be right, one year the floaters were very effective and I would always use the clippers and just kill people with Chris Paul's floater and when they tried to take that away it was oops and drop offs to the bigs for dunks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »