Home

Recovery Frame Question

This is a discussion on Recovery Frame Question within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Recovery Frame Question

Striking is my favorite aspect of combat, but I don’t enjoy that element in these games or haven’t since the Undisputed days.

I completely understand the current mechanics but have a general question for anyone that can answer. Why do fighters recovery to moving or blocking faster then defensive opponent can strike back on block, and whiffed strikes?

It feels very unnatural to have to throw a moving strike to almost land on an opponent that either hit your hands with a medium to long frame count strike while they can start walking and blocking before the animation is complete even if it’s not a part of a combo.

Punishing in this game currently only can be done preemptive with a strike that can intercept, and not when an opponent throws and is block, slipped or side stepped without the offensive player returning to there block, and or start walking out of range.

In my mind short frame strikes should recover in all forms the fastest, medium should recover to blocking quicker then to movement or to striking and large frame should recover to movement the slowest and back to blocking and striking slower then the medium strikes so there is consistency in punishing on block and on whiff since currently everything is/feels safe on block.

There is some fishy-ness in the target fighters recovery as well but I need to hit the lab to narrow that down at a later date.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Recovery Frame Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexGamerChannel
Striking is my favorite aspect of combat, but I don’t enjoy that element in these games or haven’t since the Undisputed days.

I completely understand the current mechanics but have a general question for anyone that can answer. Why do fighters recovery to moving or blocking faster then defensive opponent can strike back on block, and whiffed strikes?

It feels very unnatural to have to throw a moving strike to almost land on an opponent that either hit your hands with a medium to long frame count strike while they can start walking and blocking before the animation is complete even if it’s not a part of a combo.

Punishing in this game currently only can be done preemptive with a strike that can intercept, and not when an opponent throws and is block, slipped or side stepped without the offensive player returning to there block, and or start walking out of range.

In my mind short frame strikes should recover in all forms the fastest, medium should recover to blocking quicker then to movement or to striking and large frame should recover to movement the slowest and back to blocking and striking slower then the medium strikes so there is consistency in punishing on block and on whiff since currently everything is/feels safe on block.

There is some fishy-ness in the target fighters recovery as well but I need to hit the lab to narrow that down at a later date.

If they miss anything other than a jab your guaranteed to get a free punch. If they miss a jab you can hit them with another jab. Recovery frames also scale with stamina. But there should be more punishment for over extending and spamming like you just did a line of cocaine with conor
Old 08-04-2020, 01:22 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1212headkick
If they miss anything other than a jab your guaranteed to get a free punch. If they miss a jab you can hit them with another jab. Recovery frames also scale with stamina. But there should be more punishment for over extending and spamming like you just did a line of cocaine with conor

Facts lol and I mean technically you can return with a jab but they can also block that jab because the frames to recovery back to you block is as fast as the jab so it’s not a true punish it becomes an mix up.

Old 08-04-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Facts lol and I mean technically you can return with a jab but they can also block that jab because the frames to recovery back to you block is as fast as the jab so it’s not a true punish it becomes an mix up.

Well block counters do exist for hooks/overhands.

Think of jabs as a poke. In all fighting games you have strikes that are safe on block.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #5
Rookie

Recovery Frame Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
Well block counters do exist for hooks/overhands.

Think of jabs as a poke. In all fighting games you have strikes that are safe on block.

The counter has to be input as the strike is making contact or else it doesn’t work, which is not how a typical punish works. And yeah jabs should act as pokes which sometimes are safe on block not always though. And in terms of safe on block basically everything in UFC 3 and 4 are if you can start moving away and blocking as early as you do. Everything that can land has to a mixup which is traditionally isn’t the cause curious as to why that is the case here.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
The counter has to be input as the strike is making contact or else it doesn’t work, which is not how a typical punish works. And yeah jabs should act as pokes which sometimes are safe on block not always though. And in terms of safe on block basically everything in UFC 3 and 4 are if you can start moving away and blocking as early as you do. Everything that can land has to a mixup which is traditionally isn’t the cause curious as to why that is the case here.

This isnt a traditional fighting game and is also considered a sports game.

In real life simply blocking and then attempting to return fire is pretty difficult if your opponent is being defensive after their strikes.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
This isnt a traditional fighting game and is also considered a sports game.

In real life simply blocking and then attempting to return fire is pretty difficult if your opponent is being defensive after their strikes.

As someone that fires off the block and slips a lot irl I can’t agree, it’s one of my favorite things to do especially to counter jabs when my opponent is on the back foot.

It’s a sports game it also a fighting game so has to function correctly as a fighting game or else it’s just silliness if that makes sense.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:24 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
As someone that fires off the block and slips a lot irl I can’t agree, it’s one of my favorite things to do especially to counter jabs when my opponent is on the back foot.

It’s a sports game it also a fighting game so has to function correctly as a fighting game or else it’s just silliness if that makes sense.

You can fire off slips just fine in the game. What you'd be asking for would be more of a parry or another block counter for jabs (which is something I'd like to see as well).

I'm not sure why you're under the impression this isn't working "correctly". Every other fighting game just uses block strings to make certain attacks safe on block.

If the game worked the way you're asking then no one would ever need to slip or use lunges.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »