Home

playing as pros

This is a discussion on playing as pros within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2020, 06:43 AM   #1
MVP

COMMISSIONERHBK9's Arena

OVR: 19
playing as pros

wait why in the hell u cant play as the pros this basically the golf club all over. i didnt know that. did they update it recently to let you play as the pros. i might cancel my pre order then. how does this make everyone else feel?

https://www.youtube.com/@B1g___Boned
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: playing as pros

I agree that this is a silly move on their part. At the very least, it seems like a waste of money for 2K, as they spent whatever it cost to license these real-life pros...only to have them show up in 10 second snippets in career mode and that's it.

For me personally, the pro cutscenes that they've shown in the preview streams have been buggy and a bit worthless, too...some folks on other forums have pointed out that they have shown a player putting for an eagle on a par 3, a player taking his first shot from the fairway, etc.

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 08-10-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #3
MVP

COMMISSIONERHBK9's Arena

i dont even think i can cancel my pre order now i did it digital on ps4. im was so hype for this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach
I agree that this is a silly move on their part. At the very least, it seems like a waste of money for 2K, as they spent whatever it cost to license these real-life pros...only to have them show up in 10 second snippets in career mode and that's it.

For me personally, the pro cutscenes that they've shown in the preview streams have been buggy and a bit worthless, too...some folks on other forums have pointed out that they have shown a player putting for an eagle on a par 3, a player taking his first shot from the fairway, etc.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:40 AM   #4
Rookie

J4Minnes0tahh's Arena

OVR: 0

honestly kinda ruins it for me. like whats the point of paying for the likenesses if youre not gonna utilize them for more than just the name. the player models even hardly resemble their real life selves
Old 08-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0

Could you play as a pro in Links?

Honestly, All I've ever wanted is a game that represents the courses I see on TV that I could never get to play in real life. Personally, I would never spend a dime on more than cover athlete. And really, Tiger is the only cover athlete that actually made a difference in sales.

If they can use real names to populate leaderboards, I don't need any real players in the game.

They do make a good way for friends to handicap each other, with the better player taking a worse rated pro to even things up. Otherwise, I've always wanted to play as myself in every golf game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #6
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
wait why in the hell u cant play as the pros this basically the golf club all over. i didnt know that. did they update it recently to let you play as the pros. i might cancel my pre order then. how does this make everyone else feel?
It's not a show stopper for me as I rarely "played as a pro" in golf games where you could. I used to play a few rounds of the Tiger Woods series games as pros, while I was grinding my created player up, just to get a feel for how the game would play from the tournament tees once I built my player up to that point. "Grinding" for physical attributes isn't a problem in 2K21, so not being able to play as a pro will be a non-issue for me.

What I'm truly surprised about, however, is the fact that you can't play *against* a pro, head to head!? I think it would spice up career mode play considerably if you could opt to play along with the featured pro that was closest to you on the leaderboard in a tournament. The problem is that I don't believe the AI pros really play the course out, stroke by stroke. They just represent score calculations. That's why you'll only see them in cut-scene highlights.

This is such a minimal use of the player licenses they have that it makes me wonder if it was worth the money and effort to associate them with the game. It's better than what they had in TGC 2019, but it still a baby step towards where they really need to go to make PGA TOUR 2K21 feel like it has the player engagement of NBA 2K21.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:21 PM   #7
MVP

COMMISSIONERHBK9's Arena

wait you cant even go against the real golfers. more and more im hearing this im regretting pre ordering it. for all this they should of just made a new golf club then.

Old 08-15-2020, 04:14 PM   #8
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
wait you cant even go against the real golfers. more and more im hearing this im regretting pre ordering it. for all this they should of just made a new golf club then.
The real golfers only show up in career mode. They are your rivals as you progress thru the mode. You earn rewards as you outplay them statistically, but you don't actually "play" them on the course. During career mode rounds, the real pros will also be shown in cutscene highlights, showing their progress in their rounds.

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 08-15-2020 at 04:18 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »