Home

Which version of The Show is best on the PS3

This is a discussion on Which version of The Show is best on the PS3 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Which version of The Show is best on the PS3

So a few months ago I picked up a used PS3 for almost nothing, came with about 30 games, way too good of a deal to pass up. I bought it and hooked it up in the mancave and honestly I only played it for a couple hours just to see if it worked and turned it off and really haven't played it since, just usually busy when I get home so I dont get a ton of time to play anything, and if the TV is on I'm usually watching a baseball game.

Anyways I couldn't find anything to watch so I turned on the PS3 and went thru the box of games and I saw MLB 08 The Show in there, so figured I'd try playing it for a minute. I play MLB 20 a good bit and played the last 4 or 5 a good bit so I was expecting it to be pretty bad compared to the newer versions, but I was actually surprised, it honestly looks and plays pretty good for being 12 year old game. I really hate to admit it but I prefer some of the things in MLB 08 better than MLB 20 like some of the animations, and as strange as it sounds........I kinda like the look of the game better as bad as it sounds. Yes I know from a graphical standpoint, MLB 20 has way better graphics, more detail in character models, stadiums, etc........but the art style I guess is the phrase I'm looking for, I dunno, the colors look more natural, maybe nowhere near as vivid but like the players skin doesnt look as shiny or plasticky, everything to me just looked a little more realistic, probably just a personal preference thing.

I loved using the 2008 rosters, was awesome playing a good ole rivalry match against the Yankees with the Red Sox, playing with guys that I used to watch like ARod, Manny, Pedroia, Jason Giambi, Posada etc. Now I find myself wanting to play 08 instead of continuing my Franchise mode on 20 lol. So which version of The Show is everybodys favorite?? I'm really loving 2008 right now, but thinking about looking around locally and might buy some other versions for the PS3. I never had a PS3, had a 360 so I never got to play these games although I did have many of the MLB games on the PS2.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Which version of The Show is best on the PS3

MLB THE SHOW 15 or 16.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:43 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

the last Show I played on the PS3 was 14. but only for one hot minute as I eventually upgraded to a PS4 Show 14. still, 14 is one of my all-time favorite Shows. mainly because of that year's Oriole roster

A Work in Progress
Old 08-22-2020, 06:05 PM   #4
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I'd say 12. Most in depth franchise on PS3.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #5
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I'd say 12. Most in depth franchise on PS3.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
This gets my vote as well. It's also the best Vita version, imo, for what that's worth.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2020, 11:37 AM   #6
Rookie

engrishbwudd's Arena

Probably 13 for me, but I have fond memories of playing 14 with a group of friends after my wedding. I'll never forget my friend Dave playing it for the first time with his Mets and getting blown out 15-0. He was drunk and angry and it was glorious.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:35 AM   #7
Rookie

Jeffster's Arena

OVR: 2

I have 07, 10, and 12. Overall 12 is the best I think, but I’ll always have a soft spot for 10 because it was my first MLB The Show. And God help me I like Hudler better than Karros. Couldn’t get any after that because the Astros are in the wrong league starting in 13.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:52 PM   #8
Rookie

Scribe1980's Arena

OVR: 5
Location: The oldest minor league hockey town in North America

My favorite is 12. There's one quirky thing about it: "volleyball" foul balls, for lack of a better term. But only happens on foul balls.

If memory serves, they had broken in a new ball physics system that year and never quite ironed that particular thing out. Minor irritant in the big scheme. Other than that, superb game. Played the hell out of it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »