Home

Skater XL Videos

This is a discussion on Skater XL Videos within the Skateboarding forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Skateboarding
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2020, 08:56 PM   #1
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4
Skater XL Videos

The more I play the more the absolute genius of this game becomes evident. When I first got it I have to be honest I was kinda meh. Now that i've started to master the controls I don't know what I would do without this game in my life.

I encourage others to share their cool videos. I would love to watch them.

With that here is my first video:

This video is a culmination of why I love this game. It started out as a normal rail slide spot. I then thought why not grind the cement railing on the second stair case after. Then why not manual inbetween. That turned into rail slide manual kickflip over second stair gap into a nose manual then heelflip over second stair gap. Then I saw the 3rd elevated rail and the line was created for this video.

Oh and with mods I can ride on my very first skateboard I got over 30 years ago. Vision Psycho Stick with the neon rails included lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2020, 06:06 AM   #2
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Skater XL Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoMatty
The more I play the more the absolute genius of this game becomes evident. When I first got it I have to be honest I was kinda meh. Now that i've started to master the controls I don't know what I would do without this game in my life.

I encourage others to share their cool videos. I would love to watch them.

This video is a culmination of why I love this game. It started out as a normal rail slide spot. I then thought why not grind the cement railing on the second stair case after. Then why not manual inbetween. That turned into rail slide manual kickflip over second stair gap into a nose manual then heelflip over second stair gap. Then I saw the 3rd elevated rail and the line was created for this video.

Oh and with mods I can ride on my very first skateboard I got over 30 years ago. Vision Psycho Stick with the neon rails included lol.
Nice video, I've been thinking about getting this. Did you purchase it for PC or console? I'd rather get it for console, but I get the impression that it's worthless without mods.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
Rookie

clwnbby's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Nice video, I've been thinking about getting this. Did you purchase it for PC or console? I'd rather get it for console, but I get the impression that it's worthless without mods.
Not necessarily worthless without mods... I’ve got it on PS4, and I’m loving the game. Of course, I’m a skate rat who still plays all the Tony Hawk and Skate games very regularly. I think the ability to mod anything would definitely boost the experience, though. I’ve heard nothing but great things about people playing the pc version.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

I agree that the game is not worthless on console especially considering the maps included are the best ones. The user maps for PC are OK but I honestly play them very little.

There is really nothing to this game. No story, some challenges but I'd say they act more as a tutorial than any real meaningful content. You should absolutely do them though. Once you start figuring out the tricks and how each button is tied to a limb or rotation, it becomes so evident how intuitive and genius the control scheme is. That's when your creativity really starts coming out and when I became absolutely hooked. It sounds dumb on paper to recommend a game thats basically a plop you down and go find spots to skate and that's it but it's just so fun to do. I have spent several hours on one spot just trying the same thing over and over and that shouldn't be fun but it really is. I get that "just one more try" feeling big time in this game. What also happens is I will finally land what I was trying and notice something else nearby and think hmmmm how can I incorporate that into this now. My ideas are ever evolving. I say all this so that you can understand what the game is and so you can also understand why I would definitely get for PC if you can.

So here is why i would get for PC if you can:

-This game is all about remembering what I loved about skating 30 years ago. The feeling of trying the same trick over and over till I landed it. Now of course that experience isnt different on consoles but what is different is the ability to have the gear and clothing I had 30 years ago with mods. There is a shape mod so you can have decks in the shape of the boards of the 80s even with rails. Modding is insanely easy so literally anyone can make their own shirts/shoes/tattoos/decks/wheels with even very limited knowledge of photoshop.

If nostalgia isnt a factor there are still mods for everything. The devs were so smart in making mods as easy and accessible as possible. The textures are all just png files that can be placed in the "gear" folder and if you name the file correctly the game puts it where it needs to be, it's that simple. I will be sitting there thinking I could use a Metallica tshirt and 5 minutes later I've made one and wearing it in game. A big part of the skateboard culture is self expression and the ability to do that is extremely hampered on consoles.

The biggest thing I would say is figuring out if the game is for you or not. I honestly would give it a solid 8.5 out of 10 docking it for some of the minor technical issues, but I could also completely understand someone else hating it and saying it's a 1. The game is what it is, and if you are one of the people who just clicks with it being what it is, you are in for a real special gaming experience.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
Rookie

clwnbby's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:

Shortened the original post because it looks hella long on mobile, even though I’m sure it’s not at all.
But that was the first spot that I spent a full hour and a half on after I got the game, just trying a simple line. I seriously tried to just do a front crooks on the handrail, small ollie the first short set of stairs, then 360 the second. I haven’t gone back since I’ve been playing the game for a bit and have a better understanding of the controls, but it’s stuff like that that really pulls you in...and even more so if you’ve ever skated and you know the feeling of the One More Try. I still haven’t filmed anything yet, but I’ve got a couple of clips saved that I need to figure out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2020, 03:52 AM   #6
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Dope line and yeah, that build up before you just nail something -- or pull off something entirely different than what you planned -- really nails why Skater XL can be so special at times.

I'll def check out any other ish you post.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:19 AM   #7
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

Few Quick Hitters

Last edited by CujoMatty; 08-30-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:41 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Few Quick Hitters

All unavailable

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Skateboarding »