Home

Project CARS 3 Review: A New Direction for the Series That Mostly Works Out

This is a discussion on Project CARS 3 Review: A New Direction for the Series That Mostly Works Out within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Project CARS 3 Review: A New Direction for the Series That Mostly Works Out

It has been a rather bumpy ride for the London-based Slightly Mad Studios ever since the...

Written By: Robert Kollars

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Project CARS 3 Review: A New Direction for the Series That Mostly Works Out

That's a fair review and it mirrors what other reviews have said. I have read comments on the Steam boards from people who have bought the game that the series continues to regress in the graphics dept. PC1 looked better than PC2 and PC2 looks better than PC3.

I also agree with the review that the game should have been called something else, maybe start a new IP. This game gives me the GRID, NFS Shift vibe from reading comments and watching videos. I don't own the game but I do plan on buying it when it gets to $19.99

Just an FYI, according to Steam comments there is a MOTHER HUGE patch on the way, supposedly 35.6 GB and the developer confirmed it saying the way the game is written, small changes to the games base code requires a large sized patch. But if you own the game you might feel better knowing that Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2020 which takes up about 110GB is getting a 97GB patch according to reports.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4
I've been playing since Wednesday and am very disappointed. I loved PC1 and PC2 and hoped 3 would continue building on its solid sim foundation. Instead, they mutated the series into a lesser version of an already stale Forza. With so few sim racers on consoles, we're left with only Assetto Corsa now. I really hate that I pre-ordered the $100 version. Oof.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:04 PM   #4
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kings
I've been playing since Wednesday and am very disappointed. I loved PC1 and PC2 and hoped 3 would continue building on its solid sim foundation. Instead, they mutated the series into a lesser version of an already stale Forza. With so few sim racers on consoles, we're left with only Assetto Corsa now. I really hate that I pre-ordered the $100 version. Oof.

I can definitely understand the disappointment in the title - it’s a drastic reshaping of a beloved sim title

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-28-2020, 11:18 PM   #5
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16

I was trying to cancel my pre-order on Xbox one x but couldn't so went ahead and played it anyway and... I'm liking it for what it is... Kind of fun actually

Hoping they punch it up with a a patch and hopefully a Series X PS5 patch update.

Resolution and car models are down and stuttering occurs occasionally

OH and I agree woth write up that the racing and AI offers a lot of racing fun.. better than Forza either getting my butt beat by one car or careening to the front and leaving them all behind
Also enjoying the progression model making me work for the new rides and making my way through the ranks

I've played PC1 PC2 Shift 1-2 and of course all the Forza titles and while I miss the extreme racing feel of the earlier PC games I don't miss the poor controller handling. PC3 really got it to feel good but I wish they still let us adjust dead zones and such... Also the Sound of the carz is extremely disappointing. Dang PC1-2 had amazing rumble sound and groan and whine. This sound is muted by comparison althiugh the environment and outer effects are well done this time.

Waiting to see what patched and /or Next Gen updates bring but it's a fun racing game

Last edited by Klocker; 08-28-2020 at 11:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
MVP

jr86's Arena

OVR: 9

Good review, pretty much hit everything Spot on.
Had they gone with a different title this game would not have got the heat it is getting because Project Cars this game is not.
All the things removed pitstops,tyre degradation etc and compound that with the fact that this is the 3rd iteration without a custom championship it's a no go for me.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 7

One of the better racing games I have played in the last 5 years. It gives me what I want the most, fun. On the pc, it looks great. The weather effects and options are some of the best I have seen in a racing game.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:11 PM   #8
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat_Fan
That's a fair review and it mirrors what other reviews have said. I have read comments on the Steam boards from people who have bought the game that the series continues to regress in the graphics dept. PC1 looked better than PC2 and PC2 looks better than PC3.
Good to know I'm not the only person who noticed this. I'm far from a graphics' whore, but the car models in Forza Horizon -- an Xbox 360 title -- look just as good as the car models in PC3.

I have no desire to play a watered-down competitor to Forza, Forza Horizon and GRID. I already own and enjoy Forza 7 and Horizon 4, and GRID -- with XB1 controller settings I found on Reddit -- is the most enjoyable simcade racer I've played since Project Gotham Racing 2 for the original Xbox.

Last edited by pk500; 08-29-2020 at 08:13 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »