Home

Run/Pass balance in CPU vs CPU sims

This is a discussion on Run/Pass balance in CPU vs CPU sims within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2020, 12:59 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Run/Pass balance in CPU vs CPU sims

I'm doing a dynasty that is just CPU vs CPU sims for my team. I am using the New Mexico playbook and currently have the team set at 50/50 run/pass balance. In the games that I just simulate past, the balance seems fine and I see good passing and rushing yardage. In the games that I choose to watch, my team always heavily favors the run. I even bumped the slider to 55/45 to be more pass-oriented but the team still ran the ball way more than they passed.

I'm just curious if this would have something to do with my sliders, my playbook, or my personnel? I prefer a more balanced attack and it's frustrating seeing my 99 OVR scrambling QB rarely pass the ball whenever I watch a game. When I sim games, he seems very efficient and prolific passing the ball but it doesn't show up in the games I watch.

Any suggestions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2020, 01:25 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: Run/Pass balance in CPU vs CPU sims

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluke
I'm doing a dynasty that is just CPU vs CPU sims for my team. I am using the New Mexico playbook and currently have the team set at 50/50 run/pass balance. In the games that I just simulate past, the balance seems fine and I see good passing and rushing yardage. In the games that I choose to watch, my team always heavily favors the run. I even bumped the slider to 55/45 to be more pass-oriented but the team still ran the ball way more than they passed.

I'm just curious if this would have something to do with my sliders, my playbook, or my personnel? I prefer a more balanced attack and it's frustrating seeing my 99 OVR scrambling QB rarely pass the ball whenever I watch a game. When I sim games, he seems very efficient and prolific passing the ball but it doesn't show up in the games I watch.

Any suggestions?
I’m a cpu/cpu guy too. It’ probably the playbook. Try the miami hurricanes playbook. It’s the best pro style book in the game.

The file is called xboxassantesgreatestever.

Teams finished:
Bears, bills, browns, KC, Dall, Miami, Philly, ATL, SF, NYG, Jags, GB, NE, OAK, Rams, Ravens, WASH, NO, PITT, broncos, Texans, panthers, vikings, colts
Old 09-02-2020, 01:42 AM   #3
Rookie

Thanks! I actually use your sliders that you posted in my dynasty so it's a treat to see you respond. I'll try out that playbook in the years ahead.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

The 2013 New Mexico team was heavily run oriented as Bob Davie ran a lot of option. They had 604 rushing attempts compared to 177 pass attempts. The link below identifies how run oriented they were and it would make sense if their playbook favored a heavy running game.

https://golobos.com/sports/football/...eason/2013-14/
Old 09-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrane
The 2013 New Mexico team was heavily run oriented as Bob Davie ran a lot of option. They had 604 rushing attempts compared to 177 pass attempts. The link below identifies how run oriented they were and it would make sense if their playbook favored a heavy running game.

https://golobos.com/sports/football/...eason/2013-14/
Yeah, makes sense. It's just interesting that the games I simulate have such a different balance than the games I watch. In games I simulate, the team will put up 300 yards passing and 200 yards rushing or something. Then I watch a game and they hardly ever throw the ball.

I'll try a different playbook though and see if that changes things up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluke
Yeah, makes sense. It's just interesting that the games I simulate have such a different balance than the games I watch. In games I simulate, the team will put up 300 yards passing and 200 yards rushing or something. Then I watch a game and they hardly ever throw the ball.

I'll try a different playbook though and see if that changes things up.

The sim engine and the game engine are different, which accounts for your differences. The sim engine doesn't call individual plays from the playbook as the game engine does. As best as I can tell, the sim engine evaluates the roster and the coach configuration and then produces results. In fact, the sim engine sometimes produces two different results for the same game. After a week has been simulated you can go down the list of games and see the final score in the week schedule list. When you highlight each game, the score is presented at the top of the list. Every once in a while, the score in the schedule grid is different than the score on the top. I have seen different teams winning the same game. The score in the schedule list is the "official" result.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #7
Rookie

kmorton's Arena

The best product I've had is using custom playbooks and balancing run/pass plays based on what you want the result to be. I have three tiers: Run Heavy (0ver 55% run plays), balanced (between 45 and 55%), and Pass Heavy (under 45% run plays).
---Run Heavy, use as many runs plays as possible and eliminate pass plays until each formation has more run plays than pass plays
--Balanced, do exactly that: equal numbers of run and pass plays
---Pass Heavy, more pass plays than run plays
---I also have playbooks for teams with running QBS/Lots of option plays, and those with non running QBs. The only playbooks I have that have option plays are for teams whose QBs run more than 10 times a game. I just find the regular team playbooks have EVERY QB run (I had a game where Joe Burrow had 26 carrries!).
---Pay attention to the run/pass ratio of the playbook you are using, based on what they were in 2013. For instance, if you want a Spread playbook with lots of running, choose Auburn and use that as your base, then edit from there.
---I use mainly Multiple and Spread playbooks, then I label based on the type, QB run amount, and I also take most screen passes out, since CPU LOVES running screens in CPU vs CPU
--So an example would be SPRDNSRH: This would mean it's a spread offense, no/very few RB screens, no option plays, Run Heavy. A similar playbook with QB options would be SPRDNSRQBRH

This has worked for me, and I feel like I get pretty good results.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #8
Rookie

I just ran a couple test games in my dynasty with the Colorado and then Miami playbook. These were games I watched and the team was, once again, still running the ball 75% of the time or more in both cases despite my run/pass slider being set at 55 pass towards pass.

I continue to try out playbooks and, yeah, there are a lot of factors to it, like you all talked about. When teams take a lead and such, that obviously skews it majorly too. I'm still trying to find the best balanced playbook for my current roster as I figure that'll be the biggest thing to fix my imbalance issue. Currently leaning towards the Tulsa playbook.

Last edited by gluke; 09-08-2020 at 06:04 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »