Home

NBA2K should learn from FIFA's progressive fatigue system

This is a discussion on NBA2K should learn from FIFA's progressive fatigue system within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #1
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
NBA2K should learn from FIFA's progressive fatigue system

I think we can all agree that the progressive fatigue system in 2K is pretty poor. You can play your starters 36 mpg across 82 games with no drop in performance or increased injury risk (well, there are none).

FIFA does it much better. The more you play a player, the less stamina he has (in 2K this could also mean a drop in ratings). I have a Chelsea franchise going and I simply cannot play my best team all the time. I have to keep rotating my guys in and out.

This may mean I have to almost concede a game (schedule loss!) to get my guns refreshed for an upcoming important game. This increases the strategic element. I chose a 2nd rate side for a league game because I had a cup game coming up. This happens in the NBA; it is not replicated in 2K.

Another really nice thing. I play a high pressure style in FIFA. Basically, the equivalent of lots of full court pressure in NBA. This really tires my guys out. If I choose a 'park the bus' style (conservative D, no trapping) it keeps my guys refreshed.

None of this is really present in 2K. I'd love to see that Porzingis is gassed on the 4th game in 6 nights, and I have to rest him to avoid injury. Or I can look at the CPU's stamina, and they're on the 2nd night of a back to back, so I try to run them off their legs.

Hopefully next gen makes some improvements in these areas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: NBA2K should learn from FIFA's progressive fatigue system

Nice post. Definitely should have been added years ago. Myleague is a great eventually boring mode. It needs the little things like this. Better presentation. Drop the Twitter crap. Show scores from around the league at halftime. If you win the championship have the commentators mention it all season in games. Same for the ai. When I win it after its nothing. Show more stat during overlays during games. A lot can be done to myleague to make it outstanding without adding huge features.

One more thing the new boom or bust system. Is there going to be some type of recognition of it in your myleague or is it under the hood code? If it's under the hood code we probably won't notice. I can't imagine playing the same exact myleague this year. I got bored as hell. Especially with the same rosters 2k could have done a little more for myleague excitement.

Some of yall say myleague is perfect. Nope. Its good but you have to use your imagination. Little things and better presentation would make it great. I hate wish list threads. You read them all year and when the game is released its the same mode.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Well wish lists are players hopes the devs will see it and say "oh great idea, or easy enough to implement". Sadly since this mode (thankfully) doesn't use vc it's not a priority.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #4
Rookie

I'm actually not a fan of that in theory as I don't play FIFA. To me the problem is actually that players get too fatigued and there's no difference between a player who's known to have great stamina and can just run like a grey hound like Rodman or a Harden who in-game should suffer from playing too many minutes. A guy getting tired after a few minutes is ridiculous, players performance does not fluctuate that much at the start of the game or 5 minutes into it. On the contrary, guess usually need to work themselves into a game. It's hard to replicate that in a game, but to me fatigue is something that needs an overhaul and only 4 games in 5 nights and stuff like that should really make you feel the difference. But for me after a few days of rest, say 3 days, should bring back pretty much every player back to a 100%.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

2K can/should look at Football Manager to get an idea going as well for a lot of stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
Rookie

2Kray's Arena

I agree the fatigue system needs some type of much needed overhaul. I can't imagine the uproar this would cause in the community tho..
Old 09-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #7
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

It sounds like you're talking about MyLeague, and there are sliders you can adjust to add this affect. I'm on PC and I use "2KwitthePopBoy" sliders for MyLeague and you really have to micromanage the progressive stamina or have endless injuries. On my 76ers rebuild I actually had to rest Embiid some games to make sure he wasn't dead by the playoffs. I had to go into the gameplan for certain opponents and limit his minutes as well. It is a little tedious if you're just doing a basic fun rebuild, but if you want that level of realism, those options are 100% in the game.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:50 PM   #8
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

They do need to make fatigue a much bigger thing on back to backs and 3 in 4. Hopefully combining that with the almost never seen in game injury. I might see that once in 50 games. Id love to see progressive fatigue. They have all those player injury charts too. Would seem easy to implement or add a franchise specific slider. I’d love to see an “in game” injury slider that mattered.

I would also like to see new draft classes maintain the same ratings. I think rookie generated classes progress to higher 3 point shooting than the current NBA rosters.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »