Home

The Need For Physics Based Engine

This is a discussion on The Need For Physics Based Engine within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The Need For Physics Based Engine

"Seemingly, the major issue with Frostbite is that it was an engine built for a specific purpose: first-person shooting and multiplayer. The problem is manyEA games obviously aren't first-person shooters: BioWare builds RPGs, Ghost Games makes racing games, and Madden and FIFA are sports sims."

I pulled this quote from an article by gaming journalist Mike Williams from usgamer.net.

Does anyone else feel that gameplay will never feel "authentic" until a realtime physics engine is implemented.The frostbite engine is a beautiful engine for games that were intended for it such as the Battlefield franchise, however there have been numerous mentions from developers of the issues faced in their titles when using the engine.

In comparison to Backbreaker's Euphoria Engine which is based on real time physics, Madden's usage of Frostbite is simply not comparable. Maadden's usage of Frostbite has shown a lack of momentum, force, weight, velocity (acceleration & deceleration), and other elements related to physics with interactions between players. But don't take my word on it, simply look at the interaction of players and the physics between the Euprhoira engine used in Backbreaker and many Rockstar titles used in their R.A.G.E engine (backbone/source code is from Euphoria).

Bonus video on ragdoll effects from Backbreaker. Great demonstration of how the RB doesn't simply morph through the blocker, but instead is also interacting directly with the player regardless of who's team they are on. Here is another great moment where the receiver catches the ball and barely posses it, and the defender aims for the hands of the player, and his momentum and force make the ball jolt the opposite direction of the receiver.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
Banned

Re: The Need For Physics Based Engine

It seems like EA will not invest in a true physics based engine! The current animation driven engine feels obsolete and awkward!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by asantead22
It seems like EA will not invest in a true physics based engine! The current animation driven engine feels obsolete and awkward!

Couldn't agree more. The animations make the games so forced towards whatever the engine chooses to determine on a particular play and or interaction. Quite honestly since playing GTA IV, many games feel very unnatural since using it's ragdoll physics based engine. Embarrassing that EA with all that money refuse to use a separate engine for Madden, let alone sport games.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo3500
Couldn't agree more. The animations make the games so forced towards whatever the engine chooses to determine on a particular play and or interaction. Quite honestly since playing GTA IV, many games feel very unnatural since using it's ragdoll physics based engine. Embarrassing that EA with all that money refuse to use a separate engine for Madden, let alone sport games.

EA executives have ruin the game. The development team is partially to blame but more on the top management! Its sad Backbreaker was created by a company from Europe and they had an physics engine EA could not duplicate!
I praying the Next Gen will have something positive or we are doomed!

Old 09-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:

Its too sad a small company from England made a better physics based football game than a company which has been making football 20 yrs before them! Lol I pray the Next Gen will be a true Next Gen experience but I will not hold my breath!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2020, 06:17 PM   #6
Rookie

Dblock1111's Arena

OVR: 1

I think the true game changer is when we'll be able to make a physics-based animation-influenced game. While backbreaker was great to see a completely physics bases game, football players don't rag doll on contact.

There were some great test scenes in the old Euphoria Engine community version that you could run and adjust to have a player being tackled while trying to run, or really running through a tackle that were amazing.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:38 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblock1111
I think the true game changer is when we'll be able to make a physics-based animation-influenced game. While backbreaker was great to see a completely physics bases game, football players don't rag doll on contact.

There were some great test scenes in the old Euphoria Engine community version that you could run and adjust to have a player being tackled while trying to run, or really running through a tackle that were amazing.

I will agree that at times the ragdoll effect could be a bit too much, but for a game that came out in 2011 it was definitely way beyond it's time compared to Madden's usage of frostbite + rEaL pLaYeR mOtIoN.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:28 PM   #8
Rookie

Dblock1111's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
I will agree that at times the ragdoll effect could be a bit too much, but for a game that came out in 2011 it was definitely way beyond it's time compared to Madden's usage of frostbite + rEaL pLaYeR mOtIoN.

Agreed, it sucks that a company like EA forces all their devs to use their engine even if it's not optimal for the game type just to save money on licensing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »