Home

Can anyone help me with the PES learning curve?

This is a discussion on Can anyone help me with the PES learning curve? within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Can anyone help me with the PES learning curve?

I'm pretty new as a fan to the sport and playing FIFA 20 this year really got me into it. I watched some real life games when it first returned, but I've played a TON of FIFA. I don't have a ton of fancy dribbling moves but I've got to where I can play the CPU competitively on Legendary with 4 minute quarters and no sliders.

Can anyone recommend me some settings for PES 21 so I can get a similar experience? It took me a while to get used to FIFA 20 but at least now I'm used to it lol. PES is like a completely different monster so I don't even know where to begin. I'd like to have the same controls as FIFA if at all possible that way I can go back and forth between games. Want a similar challenge from the computer as I get on Legendary in FIFA (might need it to be a little easier since the game plays differently.)

And I guess any other tips and hints and etc. would be great bc again it's a completely different game than FIFA and I'm barely familiar with the sport.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2020, 10:16 PM   #2
MVP

sva91's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Can anyone help me with the PES learning curve?

From what I remember, fifa was all about fast players and skill tricks. PES is all about finding space, smart passing, give and go passing. Knowing when to press. I only use a handful of skill moves a game, and it’s usually just when my wingers are 1v1 outside the box.

Don’t spam turbo, unless you have a lot of free space in front. You can feel difference w close dribble players like Messi who can dribble in tight spots and change directions quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-21-2020, 12:17 AM   #3
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

I play mostly FIFA as well so I feel your pain. I've played PES off and on for a few years now.
  • Don't go straight to the most difficult level. Regular or Pro should be a decent enough challenge to start. No need to frustrate yourself even more by playing on the hardest difficulty.
  • Switch your controls to alternate. That gives you the same button layout as FIFA. Here's an link that goes in depth...
    https://realsport101.com/pes/pes-202...season-update/
  • SLOW DOWN! Play like they do in real life. In FIFA it's go! go! go! The pace of PES is closer to real life so. It's okay to take second and think. look around the field plan your moves.
  • Be prepared to lose at first it's going to happen...probably a lot.
  • You don't have to worry about skill moves yet. All that advanced FIFA skill stuff is rarely scene in a real game. Might be necessary on the hardest levels here but you should be fine just passing it around and looking for good opportunities.

That's what I can think of right now. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2020, 11:57 PM   #4
Rookie

Yeah I can't beat guys one on one with dribble moves, which isn't a big deal. However, I would like to be able to hit that spin move and it's kind of difficult I keep trying it and I can't do it. It's easy in Fifa you just spin the stick. The game feels pretty decent though I'm enjoying it. Regular is probably too easy but I'm using it to get a hang of it.

Is there anyway to get auto subs? I thought I changed it to autosub at halftime but then during the game it still said to click the middle button for subs and wanted me to do it manually so idk.

Also wondering if they have second team units for each team or if you have to manually make those like in FIFA. Outside of that, anything else I need to know?
Old 09-22-2020, 06:21 AM   #5
MVP

lareka's Arena

If you have an opportunity try playing "soccer" with your friends more often. It will help too. I mean real "soccer" not online. Because PES is more like a simulation than an arcade type of game. It will help you
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
Rookie

hitmanwa's Arena

OVR: 5

Pass the ball around, know your formation and use tactics.
Left stick dribbling seems better this year.
Body feint and double touch are probably the best/only skill moves you need.
Keep your back line intact, use your dmf to protect them.
Watch the body language and body shaping.
Controlled shot can be lethal, use your strong foot.
Low Lofted+Weighted+Through Ball=holy smokes

Things I don’t like so far...ai and ai switching is meh. Had my two CBs run into each other and fall down. Guys are easily bullied sometimes.

Pesep has a video for fifa to PES converts.

Always up for a match...hitmanwa...even if I show offline.

Last edited by hitmanwa; 09-22-2020 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Adding
Old 09-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #7
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanwa
Pass the ball around, know your formation and use tactics.
Left stick dribbling seems better this year.
Body feint and double touch are probably the best/only skill moves you need.
Keep your back line intact, use your dmf to protect them.
Watch the body language and body shaping.
Controlled shot can be lethal, use your strong foot.
Low Lofted+Weighted+Through Ball=holy smokes

Things I don’t like so far...ai and ai switching is meh. Had my two CBs run into each other and fall down. Guys are easily bullied sometimes.

Pesep has a video for fifa to PES converts.

Always up for a match...hitmanwa...even if I show offline.

Great points

To add one thing... know/learn your players. It’s always good to know about them from tea life but look at their playing styles (goal poacher, dummy runner, etc...). That dictates how they’ll move off the ball which helps you tailor your tactics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #8
Rookie

hitmanwa's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Great points

To add one thing... know/learn your players. It’s always good to know about them from tea life but look at their playing styles (goal poacher, dummy runner, etc...). That dictates how they’ll move off the ball which helps you tailor your tactics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, very good point. If a player turns to face you pass to feet. If he throws his hand up then a through all. PES mobile YouTube videos are good to see the player types and what they do. I don’t know why but, they just do a really good job at explaining say an orchestrator and his area of play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »