Home

MLB 16 ps3 roster

This is a discussion on MLB 16 ps3 roster within the MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2020, 08:09 PM   #1
Rookie

jrg2222's Arena

OVR: 0
MLB 16 ps3 roster

The last 2-3 months I've been working on a roster update for my own personal use. I posted a few updates of this roster on the server before it shut down (about a week after the 2020 "season" started). I would call this an "imperfect" roster file; it has all current MLB players, many top prospects, and many semi-prospects and role players. I will give details in the next post, so the file attachment doesn't get buried under a ton of text.

2/25/21 edit: last upload
3/18/21 update: final version; RIP my old ps3
Attached Files
File Type: zip mlb16-jrg21.zip (734.5 KB, 408 views)

Last edited by jrg2222; 03-18-2021 at 07:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
Rookie

jrg2222's Arena

Re: MLB 16 ps3 roster

A few months ago, I wanted a roster update, but the updates on the now-defunct MLB 16 server didn't impress me. It's like everybody took a comprehensive roster update from 2016 or 17, updated the 25 man MLB roster, and the minor league rosters were a giant mess of retired veterans on random teams, and no recent draft picks or top prospects. I created this roster for my own use, but since I spent a lot of time working on it and since there are people who are who could use it. I'm offering it "as is" - you may want to make edits to it to fill your needs as a MLB 16 player.

I used the final 2016 official roster as a base. Several players from the default roster were absent from the final one, but have returned to the majors. KC closer Greg Holland and Colorado closer Daniel Bard the most notable example.Since you can't export a real player from the default roster, I had to create some of those guys as custom players.

As I said the roster is imperfect. It has updated rosters, but there are some limitations in the game, and in real life:
-a small free agent pool
-limited appearance options. Many of the default faces don't look like human faces, not enough realistic flesh tones or hair styles.
- the messiness of this season, with teams using so many players, so many injuries and illnesses, teams using 500 pitchers a year, etc

Features of the roster:
-every player in the majors this season
-virtually all 40-man roster players (except for a few marginal pitchers with no MLB experience)
-all players on the MLB Top 100 prospect lists, plus many more prospects and minor leaguers

About 75% of the players are real players. Having some fake players in the organizations make it easier for updating when players change teams, it give me some "wild cards" to trade for, so that you don't wind up with real minor leaguers on wrong teams. It also gives me the ability to have fun with the fake players, creating people I know or inside jokes. Also, not every minor leaguer (in real life or the game) is going to make the majors, so this way rosters aren't padded with marginal prospects who don't come close to the majors, and it gives you some "disposable" you can easily cut, or that hopefully the game will choose to have retire instead of the real players.

All real and fake players are easily identifiable. All fake players are set to 19 years old have 50-70k salaries, and have ratings under 70. All real players have a minimum salary of 600k. Active players are typically set to 3 year contracts, with stars and top prospects signed for longer. This reduces the tedium of re-signing so many players the first few off-seasons. All real players are set to age 20 or older, aside from a few teenage prospects who were set as 18.

Contracts are not real. I tried doing it for a couple of teams, but it was messy, especially do to the circumstances of this season. Since a team's initial budget in season or franchise is determined by their opening payroll (total salaries plus 8-10 million dollars), having real contracts for all teams would create the huge competitive balance problems that ruin real-life sports, so the salary scale that's in place now should create more parity.

When i started adding missing players, the basic details and ratings were easy. Facial features are the hardest part. I've gotten better over time, but even so the limitations of the game and my skill lead to some players looking only vaguely like their real life versions. As I said, many common hair types are missing (such as long hair or messy hair), and several common skin tones can't be accurately created (such as pale skin, "Asian" skin tones, and "mixed" skin tones). I tried to get the basic facial features the best I could (hair color, facial hair, eyes, ears, nose, mouth, chin), so the results are mixed.

I watched prospect videos on many players i added, and tried to find windups and stances that came close to being accurate. Even though the are hundreds of each in the game, there were some players that were hard to match up that closely. For pitchers I tried to fin real pitch types and fastball speeds, which was easy for top prospects but not as easily for some of the obscure players who've reached the majors this year.

Player ratings were edited to devalue players who've lost a step, and increase players who've become significantly better since 2015-16. I didn't go through every single player and try to comprehensively re-rate them based on real life stats, so some of the players who were stars on the default rosters are probably a bit overrated compared to how they are in real life. When i created guys who have become stars, regulars, or elite prospects, I gave them good ratings, but for many of the other non-elite players I added, their ratings are potentials may appear a bit low.

The free agent pool in the game is small, you can't import players back from the default roster, and teams run through so many players (especially pitchers), I would need the free agent pool to be at least 5x larger to edit the rosters the way I want to. All active major and minor leaguers are at least signed to 2-3 year contracts, sometimes longer. Released players, or unsigned players who were active as of last year are still in their most recent organization, but removed from 40-man rosters, and signed to one year contracts, making it easy to let them go after the first season if you desire.

The active rosters are pretty accurate, but I did not micromanage them in terms of minor transactions, such as callups, options, and short-term injuries. If a veteran player missed the whole season due to injury or opting out, I typically moved them to the minors, but I didn't constantly change the rosters every time someone when on the disabled list. If a player was dropped from the 40 man roster in real life, I made sure to send them down and drop them from the 40-man roster, but I don't constantly change the rosters for every common recall or option. The lineups and rotations won't be 100% accurate, due to all of the injuries, callups, expanded rosters, abd the annoying way teams cycle through pitchers now. The 40-man rosters don't match up exactly to the real life 40-man due to injuries and expanded rosters. Also, I made sure to include some of the elite propects on 40-mans in case you decide to play season mode; this way guys like Torkelson, Rutschman, and Franco won't be dropped to the free agent pool.

Personally I play franchise mode controlling all 30 teams. When you play a season or franchise, at the end of spring training, it may be best to manually cut down rosters to 25 yourself. If you advance to the season, the computer will automatically make cuts, which will lead to players being sent down who shouldn't, and lopsided rosters (too many pitchers or hitters).

So, here's my imperfect roster file. I made it for myself, but I posted it because I'm sure there are other eternal ps3 players who could use it. I focused my editing on things that are most important to me (players being on correct teams, top prospects being added), while being bound by the limitations of the game (small free agent pool, wonky player models, player ages and service time). Feel free to download it and use and edit it as you like. Once you post something on the internet, there's nothing to stop people from taking it and re-posting it as theirs, so I won't even bother with any disclaimers about "copying" or re-posting my work. To be honest, I did import some players from one of those copycat rosters on the old server, then did heavy editing to fix mistakes and make the ratings and such fit in line with my roster file.

If I keep updating it, I may post an update or more in the future, just for the sake of it being preserved online. Enjoy!!! (or don't, it's your choice).
Old 09-28-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
Rookie

This looks great! I'm just getting a PS3 and haven't played an MLB game since 2k10. Thank you for sharing your roster, it is much appreciated.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:00 PM   #4
Rookie

jrg2222's Arena

10/2 update: I finished playing exhibition games involving all minor league teams and spring training games involving all MLB teams, controlling both teams, using as many players as I can just to verify things. I found a few small errors and corrected those. I also noticed a half-dozen guys who were rookies, but had inflated, HOF-worthy career stats, meaning that they somehow overwrote existing veterans without clearing their history. I recreated those guys, overwriting fake minor leaguers, so the fixed versions of those players have zeroed-out career stats. I noted 6-10 other less-prominent rookies with limited career stats they shouldn't have, but did not "fix" them. I also fixed MLB players with inflated speed ratings (after dealing with way too many IF hits in games I played), and edited fake minor leaguers so nobody tops 75 in speed, stealing, or BR aggression).
Old 10-19-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
Just started!

Thank you so much. I recently got my PS3 up and running again and was looking for a roster update. You're a life saver!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2020, 12:50 AM   #6
Just started!

Thanks! Was curious about this, might have to dust off the PS3 again to get my baseball fix
Old 10-29-2020, 02:48 PM   #7
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

As the former roster maker for MVP baseball, I can appreciate what you've done here ESPECIALLY without an editor.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:41 PM   #8
Rookie

jrg2222's Arena

During the 00's I made rosters for the High Heat games (posted on the long-dead simcentral forum). There was a guy named DangerZ who made a great roster editor for that game; I wish there was a dangerz editor for the MLB series. That editor even let you import the old Lahman database to easily make classic rosters.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters »