Home

Zone defense

This is a discussion on Zone defense within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Zone defense

Im an online franchise guy. Zone coverage is the worst. Does it play better in an offline franchise. Does zone plays actually work in any mode? Is there something i can do to tighten them up? Its frustrating because I don’t want to call man coverage plays on every down
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2020, 08:47 PM   #2
Pro

ReturnoftheTmac's Arena

Re: Zone defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhump1981
Im an online franchise guy. Zone coverage is the worst. Does it play better in an offline franchise. Does zone plays actually work in any mode? Is there something i can do to tighten them up? Its frustrating because I don’t want to call man coverage plays on every down

I’m surprised people don’t talk about this more. I tried the 10 hour trial and honestly couldn’t get past it. Every mode I played it was hot garbage
Old 09-27-2020, 10:33 PM   #3
Rookie

Do u make any presnap adjustments? What difficulty?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2020, 11:53 PM   #4
Banned

SouthernWarrior's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhump1981

Your LB's need to be AMAZING to play zone. Otherwise they just constantly attack the TE's

Otherwise focus on pass rush which makes it more erratic.

But playing on all pro or all madden the QB if they're good (Rodgers, Brees etc) almost always goes like 18/20 to start the game.. but get stopped in the red zone.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:51 AM   #5
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

I've had the opposite experience. My team plays far better in zone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2020, 01:02 AM   #6
Rookie

Maybe depends on team/strength...find zone less consistent but adjustments pre snap and pressure helps

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2020, 01:08 AM   #7
Pro

benton32's Arena

OVR: 11

I wish i could post this play ohh wait maybe i can i posted it on twitter ill find the link omg hot garbage zone, the safety was covering kittle and then just took off and left him for a wide open TD

https://twitter.com/MikeHen93038720/...18603695460352

by the way did the new patch mess up Qbs taking off and running now half the time they just keep back peddling till they get sacked
Old 09-28-2020, 01:17 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernWarrior
Your LB's need to be AMAZING to play zone. Otherwise they just constantly attack the TE's
This is the biggest adjustment a lot of people haven't made yet.

With the change to LB speed and overall coverage skills, LBs are subpar in most coverage situations now, either zone or man. With very few exceptions, they'll get absolutely roasted by WRs, and will struggle with top-shelf TEs and receiving backs.

And when I say "very few exceptions", it's actually very few...the number of competent coverage LBs this year is tiny. A guy who's ok-ish against swing passes to a back won't cut it...I'm talking like prime Kuechley levels of coverage ability to hold up in this year's game.

Like in the real league, you absolutely have to avoid leaving LBs alone on a hook curl or a 3-rec against a slot WR or better TE...it's a huge mismatch, and they'll get destroyed. You absolutely can't just keep running base against 11 personnel groups and count on a user LB to hold up in coverage anymore...even 12 personnel is iffy (I usually go big nickel againt 12).

Swap a S into at least 1 SUBLB slot (preferably a good Run Support guy, to help out against runs out of 11 personnel looks, which the CPU is also doing more of). Run at least nickel personnel against 3 WR looks...dime on obvious passing down-and-distance and 4 WR or empty sets. Play smart. Call the right zones against the right sets (trips, bunch, etc), and learn what Sky, Buzz, Match, Quarters, Palms, Hole, Robber, and such mean if you don't already...they matter this year.

I strongly suspect a large percentage of the issues people are reporting with both man and zone coverage, especially with underneath passing, are the result of just not having adjusted to this change yet, and they still have LBs out on a slot WR out of a base 4-3 or 3-4 set.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »