Home

CB Depth Chart: Help Me Understand

This is a discussion on CB Depth Chart: Help Me Understand within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #1
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18
CB Depth Chart: Help Me Understand

My CBS in 2022 are:
Okudah 85 ovr
Coleman 84 ovr
Griffin 71 (2nd round rookie hidden dev)

In a game against the Packers w 96 ovr Davante Adams, and my in-game CB matchup strategy set to "depth chart", it has Griffin covering Adams.

While Griffin is my top SLCB, he is being matched up on Adams when lined up out wide.

The only way I could get Okudah on Adams was to use the "overall" strategy, but then I had to put Okudah as CB2?!

Thanks for the help!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
MVP

Rondo is GOD's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: CB Depth Chart: Help Me Understand

In M20 the slot cb is considered the #1 when using depth chart for match ups. Sounds like its the same in 21. If you treat it as #1 and the #1 cb as the #2 you'll get the results you want. However it can be messy if you are all the sudden out of nickel and in your base defense.

I always like overall as my adjustment but height is good too imo. Can get your tallest cb on tight ends pretty easily with it. I only use overall when dealing with an elite WR. (I have gilmore so its an easy choice)

Speed is nice too but you have to scout the opponents height/speed before hand to get the depth chart right

Depth Chart for db/wr matchups is broken. They coded it wrong imo.
In this case the lasagna restaurant started selling candy to kids and that became the best revenue stream so they’ve let the lasagna get worse and focused on becoming a candy store. The problem is this restaurant bought the rights to make lasagna so if we want lasagna we can only go to this place.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #3
Rookie

cooper417's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo is GOD
Depth Chart for db/wr matchups is broken. They coded it wrong imo.
This is true. If you made any DB matchup coaching adjustment at launch, you could end up with a MLB out wide on a #1 WR and your #1 CB on a HB or TE.

I have been using the adjustment to match up "by depth chart." It still doesn't work properly, but looks like they did fix the glitch that would swap a CB and LB in nickel, dime, or other passing formations.

I'm not sure they plan on fixing these DB coach adjustment matchups any further, so you'll just sort of have to roll with them not working properly.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:24 PM   #4
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

I wish I could specifically get corners to stay on a receiver the whole game. Using coaching adjustments doesn't always give me what I want. It's pretty inflexible.b

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2020, 09:40 PM   #5
MVP

Rondo is GOD's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
I wish I could specifically get corners to stay on a receiver the whole game. Using coaching adjustments doesn't always give me what I want. It's pretty inflexible.b

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
If you match personnel (1CB for 1 WR) its pretty easy to get consistent matchups, at least it was in 20.

You'll need to identify which pattern will be most effective for you. (Height, speed, overall, depth chart etc)

It really only starts to get messy when you don't have exact matching personnel. But when you know what you're doing you'll be able to put gilmore on kelce/kittle all game long if you want to.

When I'm against KC I want gilly on kelce all game long. So I set the adjustment to height and make sure I have an extra corner back on the field at all times compared to their WRs. (They go 2 WR I go 3 CB, they go 3 WR I go 4 CBs)

Gilmore will be on kelce every time. Sammy Watkins gets a dose of JC Jackson/Jason Mccourty and Tyreke get Jon Jones all game.

It falls apart in the base defense but in nickel or more its very effective.

Overall would be useful too, but I wouldn't consider that against KC if tyreke was higher overall than kelce because I don't want gilmore on tyreke.

Once you understand the flaws of the coding you can actually start to make them work in your favor.
In this case the lasagna restaurant started selling candy to kids and that became the best revenue stream so they’ve let the lasagna get worse and focused on becoming a candy store. The problem is this restaurant bought the rights to make lasagna so if we want lasagna we can only go to this place.

Last edited by Rondo is GOD; 10-27-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #6
MVP

Rondo is GOD's Arena

Knowing your matchups/depth chart and having a plan for adjustments can literally suffocate even some of the best offensive players.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
Rookie

cooper417's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo is GOD
If you match personnel (1CB for 1 WR) its pretty easy to get consistent matchups, at least it was in 20.

You'll need to identify which pattern will be most effective for you. (Height, speed, overall, depth chart etc).
This is now a broken feature for M21. It did work exactly like it should in M20. This was very broken at launch of M21 like I stated above. Your LB and CB would be swapped if you made any adjustment from default. Since they fixed that LB/CB glitch a couple patches ago, you can change your coach adjustments. The problem is the coding is still messed up. I have found no way to get the matchups I want all game.
I have been using the adjustment "by depth chart" and sometimes my #1 CB (who is the highest overall, fastest and #1 on my depth chart) will sometimes be matched up on the #4 WR. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the coach adjustment match ups that you get in various formations.
Until they actually fix how these are coded in the game, you can never get a certain CB on a WR for all the various formation sets you will face in a game.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Bumping this post because I haven't been able to figure this out. A number of players online have started using 3 x 1 sets with the tight end split out alone. However, the defense always puts a linebacker on the innermost slot receiver, and it that's someone like Tyreek then it's a massive problem. The coach adjustments used to correct for that, but I have not figured out how to do so post patch, the lb will just always cover the guy closest to the OL regardless of who it is.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »